You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

rsync error: syntax or usage error (code 1) at main.c(873) [Receiver=3.1.1]

Author (Read 6449 times)

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Hi forum.

I struggle to make use of rsync between two local directories. It always return the error message unless I use the --dry-run parameter.

This is all the commands tried so far, same results for all:
Code: [Select]
rsync -tarv -b --modify-window=2 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/'  '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'
rsync -tarv -b --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/'  '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'
rsync -tarv -b --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk'  '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk'
rsync -brtv --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk'  '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk'
rsync -brtv --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/' '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'
rsync -rtv --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/' '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'
sudo rsync -brtv --modify-window=1 --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")' '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/' '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'

About the folders:
/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M")
I can create new files in the rsync_backup folder, so it's not wrote-protected or full.

"cry this" is a mounted Veracrypt volume. File system is fat32, character encoding is UTF8.

/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/
Source dir. Is not write protected and user profile have all access to any files. Can create files and read files.

/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/
Dest. dir. Using Thunar it seems that I have full access to all files and directories within this directory.

Any one have an idea of what to check next? I want to know what I do wrong and learn from it. Any suggestin is welcome..

[edit]
I beleive I've found the culprit. Seems to be the command to create date/time of folder to backup into. It have worked in the past, but I realized that back then I didn't have space in file name, so it's probably something buggy using nesting apostrophes.

I still would apprechiate input on how to make this command work, even inside apostrophes.

[edit 2  -  solution]

I just realized that the command shoultn't need to be embraced by apostrophes, so I simpy moved the last aphostrophe character backwards to before the command starts. In addition I replaced --modify-window=1 with --size-only, because timing seemst to always be problematic with fat/fat32.

Code: [Select]
rsync -brtv --no-perms --no-owner --no-group --size-only --backup-dir='/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/rsync_backup/'$(date +"%Y%m%d_%H%M") '/home/sprinterdriver/filer/EL_Nikk/' '/home/sprinterdriver/cry this/mappe2/EL_Nikk/'
« Last Edit: March 14, 2018, 09:41:38 PM by Jerry »
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section