You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Random computer reboot

Author (Read 11017 times)

Re: Random computer reboot
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:00 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Yes. I second what   shengchieh said before trying my suggestion. The wall outlet could be the culprit also.
Thanks   shengchieh , I kinda over thought that one.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 12:05:46 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thanks, guys.  I'll burn the memtest disc in a bit and see what that says.  I assume I run that with the computer ON? 

Hello Monkeyman,
you burn it as a bootcd, or usb, you boot the pc from it.
When I used it I put the memtest cd in and restarted the computer it then booted to the cd, (your BIOS needs to be set so it checks for cd/media on boot before hdd), like when using a Live Distro.

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:39 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
I wonder if the power gone "blink".  If so, the computer would suddenly halt and reboot.  Try plugging a radio clock on the same power outlet and see if the radio clock goes blink too.  If not,
then it is possible that you have a hardware problem.   Personally I like to give my computers overnight rest, i.e., power off before bed and power on after bed.   I doubt that is the problem,
but it may help.

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2014, 10:04:05 PM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom II (old skool!)

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 450
Thanks, guys.  I'll burn the memtest disc in a bit and see what that says.  I assume I run that with the computer ON?  If the PSU is going bad, I'm ok with that.  It's 5 years old so I've got my money out of it.  This computer has been on almost constantly for the entire time so it's probably a bit worn out.  The only thing that bothered me was that I don't know that it completely powered down.  When I reboot (or when I lose power during a storm and it reboots itself when the power comes back on), LL completely reloads.  The only way I know that it rebooted is because I have to remount my HDDs.  With this, it just goes blank.  The only way to do anything is to manually reboot.

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 09:32:53 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
It is probably hardware related. The part that throws me off is it has been fine for a long time.
A computer I dug out of a dumpster and turned into a Linux testing and media center.

Well. It would turn on when I was not there. I figured it was bios related to wake up after a period of time.
If no bulging capacitors or the ram check checks out with the  memtest link.

I'd be afeared the power supply may be the culprit. Since it is intermittent.  I would reseat 20 or 24 motherboard connector (the big one) in case a loose
connection over time is causing this. I will also mention heat causes electrical mechanical contacts to expand. Like a female socket expands when mated
with a male connection pin. My fix is to dig into the connector with a thin blade jewelers screw driver and try and compress the female socket a little tighter.

The green wire and the black wire are the 2 main connector pins I would be concerned with on 20 or 24 connector. They are the main power pins going to your Mobo to power the board.  (Black is ground, Green is power).

I don't envy you as I have a dead mini atx shuttle box under my desk that is not worth fixing anymore iMO.
It has bigger problems than your desktop pc.

Edit: Just to explain myself a little better. The pins I am referring to are dc power. Think of it like the battery cables on your vehicle getting loose and you tapping them to make good contact. My suggestion is non destructive. Requires no parts replacements. Just reseating the plug is all I would do 1st and then see if the reboot pattern resumes. Then work my way further from there with trying to compress the female pin socket to get a better grip if the reseat did not work.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 09:46:36 PM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 08:39:04 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Monkeyman,
you can test RAM using memtest - http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm

Random computer reboot
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 06:09:07 PM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom II (old skool!)

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 450
Putting this in the Off Topic section because I don't think it's LL related.  If it turns out to be, someone can move it.

I never turn my computer off (ever, other than a reboot once in a while).  In the past month or so, I've sat down at my desk only to find that, at some point, the computer's rebooted on it's own.  Unfortunately, when it does this, all I get are blank monitors.  The computer was (over) built my me about 3 years ago, it's as cool as it's going to get without water, the dust was blown out about 6 weeks ago and I only installed LL about the same time.  No issues when it's running and (so far) it's never happened while I've been sitting in front of it.

I've gotten the occasional Blue Screen of Death (on other computers) back when I was running Windows but there's just "nothing" there when this happens now.  It's like the monitors are turned off.  Memory is correctly seated (although I guess it "could" be dying) and there's nice cool air blowing out of all 3 exhaust fans.  If I hit the reset button on the computer case, she boots right back up (although a little slow).

What do ya'll think?  HDD?  RAM?  mobo?  Linux?

ASUS M4A89GTD PRO mobo
AMD Phenom II 965 Black Edition Deneb Quad-Core running at 3.4Ghz (not overclocked)
4GB (2 sticks) HyperX DDR3 1333 RAM
EVGA GeForce GTS 450
Corsair 650W PSU
all wrapped up in an Antec 1200 case

Everything but the PSU and case were new in '11.  The PSU and case were new in '09.  If there's a hardware issue, I don't mind replacing a part but I can't afford to build a new computer.  If it's Linux related, I don't mind reinstalling it other than losing all my Firefox/Thunderbird data.  I CAN'T lose some of that.  With nothing like Mozbackup to back that stuff up, I'm screwed.  (One of the reasons I haven't ditched Win7 on the laptop for LL.)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section