You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

my first try making a distro

Author (Read 22729 times)

Re: my first try making a distro
« Reply #58 on: February 18, 2018, 01:20:26 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
XFCE was the only Linux desktop I had used, and the only distro daily use was Linux Lite.

I deliberately didn't choose XFCE for the build, as I don't want anyone to think I am trying to be cheeky to Linux Lite.
Also by choosing another desktop environment it means I have no advance knowledge of how it should/could look, how other distros that use that do look, as I have not looked at these, and so on.
It means I can just play around with it freely.
As I built it up from the base files on the command line it meant I used the command line a lot for things new to me, and also that I used the command line for far longer time periods.
It was my first time to use the root tty line without using the terminal console, too.

Also have used the terminal and also pluma and gedit for editing of many files I had never looked at before on Linux, and didn't understand, I had to try and work it out by trial and error, sometimes I was able to find wiki info, but often I didn't even know what search terms to use in Google.
Even the tiny edits were very big things to learn, or do, due to this way of trying to learn it.

It is a good way to learn and not ruin my everyday used Linux Lite distro.

I hope it is fun/interesting for others to see, or gives them some ideas in their projects, and for what they like to do in their Linux Lite desktop or installed software. :)

I have never used any betas of Linux Lite, or any distro, Linux Lite is the only distro installed on the hard drive, I tried Ubuntu for I think couple of days and it auto updated and needed to reinstall each day as it messed up the graphics drivers, so gave up on it, and people in the LL community helped me to solve it. :)

The Linux Bible is a good book.
I also use the book "the Linux Command Line", I like it.
After the "Linux Bible" and "The Linux Command Line", when I feel ready I also have
"Linux Command Line and Shell Scripting Bible"
Also I learn Python at home too, I have a 8 books for this, a sort of route I made up by choosing the books at a sequence I thought might work for me.

Eventually when Ive worked through all the books I might feel confident enough to experiment and try to make some stuff, or tweak them a bit.

« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2018, 07:57:50 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

It took me awhile but now I'm sold to XFCE only distros. We'll see how Ubuntu's Gnome3 (I think) implementation goes in the next Final release (I only try Linux Lite's beta's the rest can wait ;) ).
Also, I see from your sig that you are in 64bits... I just learned today that some stuff is really different configuration wise from 32bits.
I have other things to learn too, maybe I'll get that Linux Bible. I got a Linux for Dummies at a garage sale last year but is was like 10 years old. At least I got a terminal-commands reference card for my 50 cents. ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2018, 01:55:19 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I can use this now to bypass the issues with Linux Bible 9th Edition tutorial commands and Fedora 27, so I can at least move on from where I was stuck .

It worked how I had hoped, I compared the menus on desktop to those in the book yesterday so its why I thought it should work, and I've completed the tutorials in the chapter 2 today and its exercise at the end.

Still thinking (mostly) and doing the 0.3

Edit -
I have just had an answer on the Fedora forum, and the issues was Fedora uses Gnome 3 which doesn't allow right clicking the panel, and the Mate I used is Gnome 2 which does allow this. So it was a very useful answer as I understand why now and also that I hadn't messed anything up in the Fedora VirtualBox yet. It may be useful if anyone else is using this book in VirtualBox on Linux Lite, that there is a Fedora Mate.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 02:38:07 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I always used Virtual Machines while plugged in if I'm on a laptop. Running VM is quite CPU intensive and will drain a battery in no time. With CPU clock speed throttling in new CPUs it's was evident he was going to have trouble from the start. It's like if you try gaming/rendering 3D on battery, not recommended. I don't get why he wrote a whole article about it. I could be wrong be it almost seems like a "click-bait" article.

Since it was brought up in this thread, I gave VirtualBox another whirl and was pleasently surprised. I usually use VMWare Player. I did some benchmarks/speed testing a few years back and VirtualBox was quite slower. Glad to see I'm switching to another Open-Sourced program in my tool box. ;)

Cheers!

You are likely right, I was searching for articles about VirtualBox speed.
I use VirtualBox on a desktop, (the specifications below my username in forum posts), I don't have a laptop, I use the computer only at home (but for a lot of time most days)

Good to read you have changed to another Open Source program :)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 05:07:00 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2018, 03:22:38 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

I read an article yesterday about VirtualBox speeds on Ubuntu, he writes about the Power Management settings/profile on the Host computer, and that altering this is what speeds up VB guests, what do you think of his idea, has anyone tried it ? -
http://www.rawinfopages.com/tips/2015/05/speed-up-virtualbox-enormously-with-this-simple-tweak/
Unsure if it would help with desktop computers, he seems to use laptop, as he writes also of battery.
I always used Virtual Machines while plugged in if I'm on a laptop. Running VM is quite CPU intensive and will drain a battery in no time. With CPU clock speed throttling in new CPUs it's was evident he was going to have trouble from the start. It's like if you try gaming/rendering 3D on battery, not recommended. I don't get why he wrote a whole article about it. I could be wrong be it almost seems like a "click-bait" article.

Since it was brought up in this thread, I gave VirtualBox another whirl and was pleasently surprised. I usually use VMWare Player. I did some benchmarks/speed testing a few years back and VirtualBox was quite slower. Glad to see I'm switching to another Open-Sourced program in my tool box. ;)

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2018, 10:17:10 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

v0.3 video.
Boot time from Grub to desktop including typing password 33 seconds, in VirtualBox on Linux Lite 3.2, VirtualBox is using 4GB RAM, 2 Cores, and 128MB Video.
Shutdown time 4 seconds.
I still do not have my graphics working fully on this computer, so this maybe can improve the VirtualBox times and image quality of video in the future.

Difference of this build try is gdm display manager, less mistakes setting up, tidied menus a bit, added Terminal icon to panel to test if right click menus are available, moved icon, checking for tutorial in Linux Bible.
Also installed and tested LibreOffice, Gedit, from the Gnome Software centre.
Edited Gedits menu name, Pluma is built/base from Gedit, idea was use Pluma for the text edit of system files, and gedit for the Python files as I will theme it. Python is installed, and I tested that.
Also ran command to remove desktop icons and for future to prevent them.
FTP tool is interesting so showed this straightforward GUI.
Accessibility Menu is working from the login screen.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 11:08:00 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2018, 05:28:35 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I made a base and clones the other night, it is the arch base files downloaded into the archlinux iso, partition, format, configure, install grub, remove arch iso , how I done the above.

It is quick to make the build when beginning from the already configured base.
Then it take extra time for the editing and changes.
I decided on this method as I needed practice to make the base up, as it took me about 70% or more of the time first time around.

This time around the v0.3 lol, when I get to about version 4million (randomish number guess) it will be good.

I can use this now to bypass the issues with Linux Bible 9th Edition tutorial commands and Fedora 27, so I can at least move on from where I was stuck .
« Last Edit: February 16, 2018, 10:19:35 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #51 on: February 14, 2018, 08:09:50 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

I re-edited the login page.
I made the new "Login" word a smaller font size, and embedded into the screen I made yesterday as a single component instead of 2 like the original login screen was. I have also made a GIMP template of this for future editing whenever I have some ideas what to add on it etc, so it is more time saving. Also moved this lower so the gap was less above the user menu.

On the bottom panel I have removed the icon for desktop spaces, as I didn't think it needed this icon for desktop spaces, the word desktop, and a menu of the Desktop environments on the bottom panel.
In its place I have added my own icon, just very basic and for fun/testing the idea about icons in the bottom panel etc, still thinking about how I might change that.
Bottom panel is now my icon, desktop, its menu on left, shutdown/reboot icon on the right.
Date still in same place at the top of screen.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:31:51 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #50 on: February 13, 2018, 04:46:21 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2018, 04:43:33 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

• Kernel: 5.x
we have already gone over this topic

Ok.

Tonight I edited the login page a bit, its theme, its images, and its stylesheet.

Nice! :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2018, 02:17:30 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

@Moltke we have already gone over this topic, although I can see it is interesting for you.
Anyhow Thank You for the link, I have had a look at the link, it does not interest me at this time.
It is not for beginners in Linux like me.

I forgot to state yesterday, and so for clarity, editing the grub, I used terminal, and a default text editor (pluma).

Tonight I edited the login page a bit, its theme, its images, and its stylesheet.
I used GIMP, and a text editor (pluma).
I made a cloned VirtualBox machine in case I messed it up, then done it just by a trial and error, until I was happy with it for this stage.

Since video have also removed default language menu from bottom panel, so now bottom panel it has just the desktop environment selector on the left and the reboot/shutdown selector on the right.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 03:52:04 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2018, 12:34:49 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I assigned 4GB (4096MB) of RAM to the machine, 2 processors(cores), and I do have ticked Enable 3D acceleration.

@bitsnpcs That looks good enough for me. I only assigned 1GB of RAM and 1 CPU since this pc ony has 4Gb and a dual core CPU, but it serves my purposes. Regarding the article, the system host's author was Windows, so I'm not sure how could apply when using a Linux OS as the host. By the way, I found this and thought you might be intersted in it https://sourceforge.net/projects/aryalinux/?source=navbar it claims to be and I quote
a platform that one can use to build a complete distribution from source code
I certainly find it interesting at the very least and will definitely have a look into it. :)

« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2018, 09:21:43 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

I assigned 4GB (4096MB) of RAM to the machine, 2 processors(cores), and I do have ticked Enable 3D acceleration.

I read an article yesterday about VirtualBox speeds on Ubuntu, he writes about the Power Management settings/profile on the Host computer, and that altering this is what speeds up VB guests, what do you think of his idea, has anyone tried it ? -

http://www.rawinfopages.com/tips/2015/05/speed-up-virtualbox-enormously-with-this-simple-tweak/

Unsure if it would help with desktop computers, he seems to use laptop, as he writes also of battery.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:37:57 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2018, 09:06:07 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

On the video I notice, after the display manager, is the blue screen, is it a splash screen, and if so will removing it make it go from the display manager to desktop faster as it doesn't have to load this ?
Or it loads in the background and the splash doesn't slow this ?

I really don't know. You might look into it to find out what it is. How much RAM did you assign for the VM? If it is less than 1GB you might increase it to see if that helps. Did you enable 3D acceleration in the VM? If you haven't go to settings > display > screen and check 3D acceleration box to enable it, then click on "ok" to close that window and start the VM to see if that helped.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2018, 08:05:43 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Keep in mind that it's a VM so some things might not work the way they do in a real machine. I really never install many apps in my VMs, at least not the ones I used in my real pc. I mostly play with customizations and stuff like that. For instance, I installed 3 different desktops in Arch; XFCE, LXDE and LXQT and been checking resource usage and customizations posibilities. While doing that I learnt that resource usage is almost the same for the 3 of them, but when it comes to customization posibilities XFCE beats them all, so yeah, if I loved it before now I do even more  ;D   

Thank You I get this now. :)
I had thought when asking it may be an issue that needed to fix.

Really nice work @bitsnpcs keep it up! :)

Thank You @Moltke :)
On the video I notice, after the display manager, is the blue screen, is it a splash screen, and if so will removing it make it go from the display manager to desktop faster as it doesn't have to load this ?
Or it loads in the background and the splash doesn't slow this ?

I have installed GIMP now, using the Software centre. All working correctly.
Also I removed Mplayer, as it has Deepin player (not tested with video yet), plus VLC working now.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section