You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My Asus G750 gaming laptop is now officially dead ...!

Author (Read 10062 times)

Re: My Asus G750 gaming laptop is now officially dead ...!
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2019, 09:21:05 AM »

DeepThought

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • WKDfm Radio | WKDfm Chat

• CPU: AMD Turion(tm) 64 x 2 Mobile Technology TL-60

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ATI RS480

• Kernel: 5.x
The last time it was working was when I left it running overnight (downloading TV programmes) on Manjaro.  The downloads were finished by morning and everything looked fine (which is what I don't understand as there was no sign of anything wrong at that point), before shutting it down.  Later that day, my daughter tried to turn it on (for her usual gaming on Win8.1). It was then it wouldn't turn on at all, no LED status lights - completely dead.

And there you go, the final proof, once you go Linux you never go back to Windows :)

All joking aside though, you could try finding parts on EBAY. I have built about a dozen laptops from parts bought cheaply on ebay.
Look for broken laptops of the same make and model as you have, Asus G750, specifically look for those that have broken screens. Quite often these are been sold cheaply as replacing the screen can be expensive but quite often the motherboard is still in working order. Usually the hdd and memory has been removed by the seller but as long as yours still work that is not a problem.
I've used this idea in the past and also if you have a broken screen on a laptop, look for a laptop been sold with a fried motherboard, quite often the screen will be ok.

This way I've mixed and matched about a dozen working laptops, all for well under £100, some under £50. In fact it's probably cost me more to buy a replacement battery and power supply lol.

Anyway, worth a thought even if only as a laptop repair learning curve :)

Owner and DJ at WKDfm Radio ( www.wkdfm.co.uk )

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2019, 07:54:41 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Well, unfortunately if cost is high and still no sign of life...
Only thing left is getting the shovel...

Our thoughts are with you :(

- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2019, 03:43:59 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

@m654321 the things the PC repair shop done did not test the components.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2019, 01:07:01 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

@bitsnpcs
@TheDead
Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated.
bitsnpcs: yes, everything in that link you gave was tried, but to no avail: 
- with battery/without battery, and using an alternative mains supply pack

The PC repair shop did:
- stripped laptop & tested - no voltage
- reflowed motherboard - tested, still no power
- said uneconomic to repair
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:10:38 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2019, 12:58:59 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

@m654321
Were you running Linux on it when it quit? I've heard of some over-clocked Asus laps bricking with Linux.
TC

Thanks TC - in a nutshell, yes.  However, it was not overclocked.

The last time it was working was when I left it running overnight (downloading TV programmes) on Manjaro.  The downloads were finished by morning and everything looked fine (which is what I don't understand as there was no sign of anything wrong at that point), before shutting it down.  Later that day, my daughter tried to turn it on (for her usual gaming on Win8.1). It was then it wouldn't turn on at all, no LED status lights - completely dead. 
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 01:01:34 PM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2019, 09:04:00 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

@m654321  You're right. I misspoke, but I did find one refurb board for $153. Not too many of those around that aren't cooked. Figure two hours for the work and go from there. One to disassemble/reassemble, one allowed to configure, both MS service minimums here ($80 p/hr) If you go refurb board only and nothing else is wrong, probably about $350 total. You can probably find a whole i7 refurb laptop online for $500 or so.

Were you running Linux on it when it quit? I've heard of some over-clocked Asus laps bricking with Linux.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

Heya!

You seem to know your way around @bitsnpcs ! ;)

I'll add my two cents from experience with these issues.
Indeed trying without the battery was what I was going to type...
But also, even if the power supply turns on, I have seen that some break down and don't give the needed Amperage anymore. (sometime even voltage).
So, if you can get another, maybe universal, AC Adapter with the correct Voltage and Amperage to try, I would suggest to try this.
** Important : If the new AC Adapter has MORE Amperage, its fine, but not less. Voltage has to be the same or really close, like 19V versus 19.5V for example should be fine.
** Important 2 : Be carefull that positive and negative poles fit original AC Adapter. It's pretty standard but just to be sure.

Good luck!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2019, 06:12:59 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

The other day, I was downloading videos on a G750 Asus laptop, without any issues as usual. I've had it for only 4 years. When I went to use it the following day, it refused to switch on, and the LED status lights on the front of the chassis didn't light up at all. I did the usual thing like check the power supply (it was fine). I took it to our local and very excellent computer repair shop and they checked everything but couldn't get it to work.  They said they see this quite a lot with gaming laptops, often overheating and the motherboard then breaks down.

Wondered if you had a similar experience. Really disapointing as these laptops are really expensive - the 17" one I had was ~ £1200 - never again - I think I'll go for a Raspberry pi instead, LOL  ::)

Try this - https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001127.htm

If no change then with no battery fitted or power supply plugged in to -

if your laptop works with power supply and battery not fitted remove battery and try this.

remove RAM , clean its connector with paper, clean its connection on board with air duster.

Add in battery and power supply and try to power on, if not -

remove both power sources , remove hard drive/s clean connections with air dusters, re add power try again, if not -

remove both power sources , open laptop remove keyboard connecter, clean both sides with air duster, re connect power both and retry it.

If not and all internal dust is removed and it is retried then next -
board not working , it can be likely a capacitor, (9 out of 10 times) get it tested using an esr meter, or use signal generator on square wave and oscilloscope, replace faulty capacitor/capacitors, or other components not replace motherboard.

But if you notice the cpu gpu is melted ... it probably didn't shut down when it was designed to.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2019, 07:13:09 AM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2019, 09:57:15 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

@trinidad
A new MOBO for the G750JS seems to come in at around $495, from what I can see online. How much would you charge to fit a motherboard?

I think this laptop could end up burning an even deeper hole in my pocket, if it's only going to last another 3 years 10 months with the MOBO replacement - for me personally it's not worth it. The Dell Latitude D630 that I'm typing on (almost 12 years old), will have to be my new daily driver now, until it breaks down - it's a fine little machine for my daily admin needs and it only cost me $90 secondhand a few years back. I wish gaming laptops were as robust and reasonably priced ..!

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2019, 09:43:20 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I don't like laptops that much so I don't know if this might sound a little biased but I think desktops are better suited for gaming; better cooling system, more room for improvement like a bigger screen, add more RAM, upgrade CPU, improve cooling system. And I think they're even a cheaper solution too.

Totally agree: for the same bang for your buck, the rule of thumb seems to be you pay around double for a gaming laptop compared to the PC Tower, as well as flexibility to upgrade - it would seem to be a no-brainer ...

The only reason we have laptops, is that free space in our house is limited and, with young children around, sometimes you need to take your machine to a quiet room, which of course is impractical with a Desktop PC setup

Oh yes, space can be an issue. However, I don't know how space limited you are but I think that in the long run a desktop pc could be a saving money solution since there's no way to tell when a new laptop can go dead. Of course, desktops are not inmune and this can as well happen with them, but then with a good cooling system and a good PSU odds are against laptops. I used to had this space issue too in the past but I lived alone back then so I guess it wasn't that much of an issue like in your case. I remember I wanted to buy a TV but always found myself wondering where to place it cause there was really no room for it, so I bought a pci TV tunner card, plugged it in my pc and voila! I had a TV, well sort of lol It was cheaper and I could even record whatever I wanted. I still have that card around but the pci slot died or so I think cause it doesn't work anymore, such a shame cause I really enjoyed recording TV shows, football matches - premier league matches, specially man united ones, I'm a fan :) -, and anything I wanted to. My point is, I don't know...I mean, I think with today's technology anything is possible, check this out https://www.amazon.com/slp/mini-gaming-pc/nsab9trujj458wp
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2019, 05:56:23 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

I don't like laptops that much so I don't know if this might sound a little biased but I think desktops are better suited for gaming; better cooling system, more room for improvement like a bigger screen, add more RAM, upgrade CPU, improve cooling system. And I think they're even a cheaper solution too.

Totally agree: for the same bang for your buck, the rule of thumb seems to be you pay around double for a gaming laptop compared to the PC Tower - it would seem to be a no-brainer ...

The only reason we have laptops, is that free space in our house is limited and, with young children around, sometimes you need to take your machine to a quiet room, which of course is impractical with a Desktop PC setup
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 09:59:45 PM by m654321 »

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2019, 11:41:36 PM »

kissbaby3

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: 1.4 GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: on board
I don't like laptops that much so I don't know if this might sound a little biased but I think desktops are better suited for gaming; better cooling system, more room for improvement like a bigger screen, add more RAM, upgrade CPU, improve cooling system. And I think they're even a cheaper solution too. Like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-black/6225212.p?skuId=6225212  :)

nice price tag

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2019, 04:51:50 PM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

I don't like laptops that much so I don't know if this might sound a little biased but I think desktops are better suited for gaming; better cooling system, more room for improvement like a bigger screen, add more RAM, upgrade CPU, improve cooling system. And I think they're even a cheaper solution too. Like this one https://www.bestbuy.com/site/cyberpowerpc-gamer-ultra-desktop-amd-fx-series-8gb-memory-amd-radeon-rx-560-1tb-hard-drive-black/6225212.p?skuId=6225212  :)
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2019, 02:47:38 PM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
Wow - you certainly put the B+ to good use!
Is the B+ the one with a single 700 MHz processor & 512MB RAM?

Had to ssh login to find out as I had forgotten! Yes its 700MHz/512MB. You have now prompted me to look at upgrading to Pi3, for interest sake but the B+ is actually capable of fullfilling all its tasks and more. :)
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2019, 12:54:36 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

@m654321 
Don't know exactly what model, CPU etc. you have, but if you can do the work yourself, new MOBO replacement for this era is around $150 US.

TC

Thanks TC, I'll check it out: it's an Asus G750JS laptop - are you familiar with this one?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section