You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My Asus G750 gaming laptop is now officially dead ...!

Author (Read 10060 times)

Re: My Asus G750 gaming laptop is now officially dead ...!
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2019, 11:06:03 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@m654321 
Don't know exactly what model, CPU etc. you have, but if you can do the work yourself, new MOBO replacement for this era is around $150 US.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2019, 06:02:53 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
You're right the Raspberry pi is very versatile! What do you use your B+ for?

My Pi runs 24/7 as a personal server for personal file storage, online monitoring of intruder alarm, webcam, online temp/humidity/air pressure monitoring via an ESP8266 (ESP12F) and remote switching of various devices. The latter is in conjunction with a UBW bitwacker device USB/serial  connected to the Pi, simply because I never got round to moving connections directly to the Pi. Oh, it also has an analog port to measure battery voltage. The UBW was originally connected to a netbook server but I changed to the Pi for power saving purposes!

Wow - you certainly put the B+ to good use!
Is the B+ the one with a single 700 MHz processor & 512MB RAM?
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2019, 05:45:15 AM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel

My Pi runs 24/7 as a personal server for personal file storage, online monitoring of intruder alarm, webcam, online temp/humidity/air pressure monitoring via an ESP8266 (ESP12F) and remote switching of various devices. The latter is in conjunction with a UBW bitwacker device USB/serial  connected to the Pi, simply because I never got round to moving connections directly to the Pi. Oh, it also has an analog port to measure battery voltage. The UBW was originally connected to a netbook server but I changed to the Pi for power saving purposes!

1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2019, 12:52:53 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

Really disapointing as these laptops are really expensive - the 17" one I had was ~ £1200 - never again - I think I'll go for a Raspberry pi instead, LOL  ::)
Sorry to hear that, maybe the manufacturer would not like to have adverse publicity - understand?

Raspberry Pi is very versatile! I've had one running unfailing as a personal server since the B+ became available. May play with the Pi 3 soon!

Yeh sure, I certainly do understand - yesterday I changed my 4-star rated review on Amazon to the minimum 1-star rating, with reasons. It's ironic that the 12 year-old Dell Lattitude D630, which I bought used for £70 (see [4] in signature), is still going strong and shows no sign of giving up! So I certainly have mileage with the Dell though, unlike the Asus, it's not suited for gaming, but it's great for all the usual admin, internet browsing and watching youtube videos.

I actually do have a pi, the 3B model, which has the 4 x 1.2GHz CPU, and used it to upgrade our telly to be internet accessible and access a large archive of videos on an external HDD attached to the pi. We use the excellent LibreElec open-source operating system for this. The pi was a superb investment for upgrading our TV - only £35 - certainly cheaper than buying a brand new shiny internet-ready TV! The more recent 3B+ model is 4 x 1.4GHz CPU, but I might wait and see if they up the CPU power for one of the future pi releases, before considering another pi purchase ...

The only other reservation is that Linux Lite wont run on a pi  :( , though some other Linux OSes will.

Cheers
Mike
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:39:32 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2019, 04:08:11 PM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel

Really disapointing as these laptops are really expensive - the 17" one I had was ~ £1200 - never again - I think I'll go for a Raspberry pi instead, LOL  ::)
Sorry to hear that, maybe the manufacturer would not like to have adverse publicity - understand?

Raspberry Pi is very versatile! I've had one running unfailing as a personal server since the B+ became available. May play with the Pi 3 soon!
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

My Asus G750 gaming laptop is now officially dead ...!
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
    • View Profile

The other day, I was downloading videos on a G750 Asus laptop, without any issues as usual. I've had it for only 4 years. When I went to use it the following day, it refused to switch on, and the LED status lights on the front of the chassis didn't light up at all. I did the usual thing like check the power supply (it was fine). I took it to our local and very excellent computer repair shop and they checked everything but couldn't get it to work.  They said they see this quite a lot with gaming laptops, often overheating and the motherboard then breaks down.

Wondered if you had a similar experience. Really disapointing as these laptops are really expensive - the 17" one I had was ~ £1200 - never again - I think I'll go for a Raspberry pi instead, LOL  ::)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 01:25:31 AM by m654321 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section