You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Windows XP is going out of support in April 8th, 2014.

Author (Read 34428 times)

Re: Windows XP is going out of support in April 8th, 2014.
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 08:54:52 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Linux systems ARE MUCH more resistant to malware because of the way access and other aspects of it are handled, but is NOT 'totally immune' to infection. Given sufficient determination, I believe that ANY OS that interacts with the outside world in some way could possibly be infected with some form of malware.

As Linux grows in popularity, we will certainly see more instances of Linux-based malware getting out there and spreading. Avast, AVG, BitDefender, ClamAV, and Comodo are just a few of the AV choices out there for Linux; they also protect the Linux side of the house, but their primary purpose is to catch and clean infected Windows flash drives and systems. One of their LiveCDs and a network connection (to obtain the latest virus updates) make for an EXCELLENT way to clean an infected Windows PC!

In a nutshell, I guess it depends on how paranoid you are, but IF you are, then there are CERTAINLY solutions out there for you...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 12:55:08 AM »

Dookus

• Registered Linux User 533331
  • Forum Regular
  • I'm just this guy .... y'know?!
    • View Profile

• CPU: Many

• VIDEO CARD: Many
Hello!

Actually, I have found that a Linux Lite system performs a great deal better than the same system running Windows XP SP3.

I recently read that Microsoft is offering continued XP SP3 support until April 2015 for business customers only - at a cost of $200 per machine. Updates MAY leak to the general public, but I wouldn't count on that. By now, most businesses have already moved on to Windows 7...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Agreed ... as well as the safety of Linux and the not ever needing to run a Anti Virus/Malware program as well as Linux programs will rarely install concurrent background rubbish either!
I'm just this guy ... Y'know!?
Registered Linux User 533331

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 12:52:11 AM »

Dookus

• Registered Linux User 533331
  • Forum Regular
  • I'm just this guy .... y'know?!
    • View Profile

• CPU: Many

• VIDEO CARD: Many
Hi all.

Am from Sydney and have been attempting to start a recycling service here for the multitude of XP machines that may end up as landfill, after extensive testing I have found LL to be what I have been looking for to replace XP and in many cases Vista as well, if anyone in Sydney wishes to help out and get this project started I'd be happy to pass on the info of what I have endeavoured to do so far, the idea is to reclaim the machines by servicing them and installing a suitable Linux on them then donate them with support and training to those who may need them.

I'm expecting LL will be used over any other distro as it's Windows like build is better than anything I've seen to date and the repository of software is extensive.

Thanks 

John
I'm just this guy ... Y'know!?
Registered Linux User 533331

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 10:37:40 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Actually, I have found that a Linux Lite system performs a great deal better than the same system running Windows XP SP3.

I recently read that Microsoft is offering continued XP SP3 support until April 2015 for business customers only - at a cost of $200 per machine. Updates MAY leak to the general public, but I wouldn't count on that. By now, most businesses have already moved on to Windows 7...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Windows XP is going out of support in April 8th, 2014.
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 05:49:36 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/baig/2014/02/11/windows-xp-the-end-is-coming-fast/5392269/

In a couple months, Windows XP is going out of support. Since this is a Linux forum, we would recommend you go to Linux Lite, as that has about the same requirements as Windows XP.
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section