You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK

Author (Read 3045 times)

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Enterprises want to do business with you, as such, to be reputable and continue in business they must secure their systems properly. What you do on your client end of the system is just conform to their security requirements. It is at their expense to secure their enterprises. Enterprise systems securely identify you as soon as you access their payment system. The security of your system is entirely dependent on their servers for security during transactions. ISP sniffing by control agencies other than the enterprises involved is a gateway to massive abuse, and a new likely easier gateway for abusers to hack. Any agency (even the NSA) is unlikely to have the resources and security wherewithal at Amazon's disposal whose best interest is to provide that security. Banks themselves are notoriously less secure than Amazon. Whatever security you enjoy is because of massive enterprises like Amazon whose best interest is to constantly maintain and upgrade it against intrusions. This villain award to Mozilla is about as hokey as Al Gore building the Internet, and driven by a political agenda that preys on the unreasonable paranoia of some citizens. Finally it's pretty hard to get an enterprise page spoofed on Firefox operating in LL 4.4, maybe bordering on impossible given Google's indexing system. You'd almost have to try to do it, and probably have to use an alternative search engine of some sort that did not use Google's algorithms. Money/transaction security is best left to the biggest service providers. Government's proper role here is oversight and cooperation not intrusion and data collecting.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 8Gb

I refuse to purchase anything from amazon for any reason   
HTTPS (HTTP over SSL or HTTP Secure) is the use of Secure Socket Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) as a sub-layer under regular HTTP application layering. HTTPS encrypts and decrypts user page requests as well as the pages that are returned by the Web server. The use of HTTPS protects against eavesdropping and man-in-the-middle attacks. 
This is why i prefer having HTTPS Everywhere  add-on for Fire Fox.   8)  :)
That is what happen to me being redirected on HTTP web sever between shopping and check-out.
Cost me more than I care to talk about.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 10:07:17 AM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,
Together we are LINUX...!

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Page spoofing is a hack that's been around for years and in reality servers in rogue states that are not governed by US law are the lasting offenders, and they can often get SSL certificates... so HTTPS is not a guarantee of security. The Debian user forum is HTTP. End Point security and secure socket encryption protect you from page spoofing or page redirecting when using viable enterprise systems. You can't protect yourself except by using viable enterprise sites i/e Amazon.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

That is just the reason Europe is in an up roar about not being able to see what their citizens are doing on the internet. Imagine ll of their duplicate look alike websites designed to rip off the average consumer purchasing merchandise. They were actually redirected to the wrong check out link on a different look alike website to pay for such merchandise. Be sides the other is that Mozilla has no intentions of changing anything in Europe. The HTTPS is only optional. This happened to me once. I always look at the very top search bar to insure that I am on a https://  web server. 

ISPA withdraws Mozilla Internet Villain Nomination and Category
Posted on 9th July 2019
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 02:03:09 PM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

"The technology, if enabled, would thwart the ability of some internet service providers to sniff customer traffic in order to block users from accessing bad sites, such as those hosting copyright-infringing materials, child abuse images, and extremist material."

Oh goody. More stupid anti-American reactionary laws for the Internet. This kind of ISP sniffing is against the law in the US for ISPs, for good reason. Other US laws already cover the issues and reasons mentioned and law enforcement can do the sniffing via the ISP provided they can obtain a warrant which is difficult to do also for good reason. All those complicated good reasons add up to a civilized free society where people can live and grow without fear and potentially learn to take responsibility for their own actions one way or another by the end of their lives, which is probably the only thing of personal value you could ever do for yourself.

TC

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

@bernard stafford ,

Your posts, to me, are consistently hard to read.  Is there a reason most of your sentences are on separate lines?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2019, 11:08:55 AM by torreydale »
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

On DNS [Domain Name Server] I have found duplicate looking web sites.
Not actually being the actually being the real web site.
Or being re-directed through DNS to the wrong or other look alike web site.
Most of these sites are where money is involved. Electronics, clothing, etc..
The Symbol HTTPS locks you on the correct web site.
Ensures that you are not re-directed to a different web address.
As for Parental Controls: This actually reinforces them.
The child would have to have administrative access to change any controls set. 
Look at this forum web site it is https:// 
    ;D   :)  That is a good thing.  ;)
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

YES I READ ALL OF The ARTICLE 
I actually have a Fire Fox Add-On Called HTTPS Everywhere.
If it is not a secure web site it will not open the web site.
That ensures to me that my computer is safe and it is the
actual web site that I am looking for. As for DNS over HTTPS:
DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is a protocol for performing remote Domain Name System (DNS)
resolution via the HTTPS protocol. A goal of the method is to increase user privacy and security
by preventing eavesdropping and manipulation of DNS data by man-in-the-middle attacks.
Did you read any of the article or research any of it ? 
    :o

Like I already said, I did read the article, otherwise I wouldn't have sahred it in the first place. Regarding DNS over HTTPS, some argue that it diminishes parental control, meaning that parents aren't able to stop their chldren from accesing undesired websites and that's why they've been nominated as internet villains.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

YES I READ ALL OF The ARTICLE 
I actually have a Fire Fox Add-On Called HTTPS Everywhere.
If it is not a secure web site it will not open the web site.
That ensures to me that my computer is safe and it is the
actual web site that I am looking for. As for DNS over HTTPS:
DNS over HTTPS (DoH) is a protocol for performing remote Domain Name System (DNS)
resolution via the HTTPS protocol. A goal of the method is to increase user privacy and security
by preventing eavesdropping and manipulation of DNS data by man-in-the-middle attacks.
Did you read any of the article or research any of it ?   
           https://www.zdnet.com/article/mozilla-no-plans-to-enable-dns-over-https-by-default-in-the-uk/
    :o   Research: All parental controls are within the operating system or an add on feature which still shows what they have been looking at.
             :D   ;D 
Fire Fox is not putting any children at risk.
Read the entire article at ZDNET: From Mozilla.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 06:49:16 AM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

This is about Linux CORRECT ?   >:(
FOR THE MOST PART I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED Mozilla Fire Fox.
Read the article that you posted well. ::)
Mozilla Fire fox is standard default web browser for most all of Linux.
Fire fox has came a long way as a web Browser.  :o    ????

Not sure what you mean...in any case I did read the article. I dont like firefox, I use chromium which I found to be better in my own, personal experience. Seems like you didn't read the article, did you?

bernard stafford

• KoFi Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

This is about Linux CORRECT ?   >:(
FOR THE MOST PART I HAVE ALWAYS LIKED Mozilla Fire Fox.
Read the article that you posted well. ::)
Mozilla Fire fox is standard default web browser for most all of Linux.
Fire fox has came a long way as a web Browser.  :o    ???

ISPA withdraws Mozilla Internet Villain Nomination and Category
Posted on 9th July 2019 
       8)
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 01:57:30 PM by bernard stafford »
launchpad.net <- 
debian.org <-
GitHub.com <-
kde.org <-
I stay busy with LINUX,

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi everyone! Hope youre all having a nice life! :)

Was reading throught my news feed when bumped into this; Mozilla has Been Nominated for the “Internet Villain” Award in the UK and thought of sharing with you my fellow linuxers hoping to read your thoughts on the topic.
https://www.ispa.org.uk/ispa-announces-finalists-for-2019-internet-heroes-and-villains-trump-and-mozilla-lead-the-way-as-villain-nominees/

Cheers! :) 

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section