You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu

Author (Read 54702 times)

Re: Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2016, 09:25:37 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
The VS. battle will rage on, would you like the correct answer???.. I can tell you 100% the winner of either VS question... Is neither and either...  :-X
And the same for cars... Die hard Chevy fans won't like Ford let alone a "tuned, noisy, bad driving, fuel hungry Honda Accord" OR a properly tuned and ported correctly set up and dyno'd JDM Honda, Acura, Nissan or xxxx...

It's going to be in the eye of the beholder and the hardware they run... Even if the exact same systems are used... Its preference.. Some folks like the color green, some don't..

A 2 door '57 Chevy pristine and clean sitting at the car show is a slick ride (IMHO); is that to say every other Chevy built at the time or since then hasn't added something??

Honestly comparing various makes of cars to each other are apples to oranges... Ubuntu to Red Hat, but I understand the posters point of view..

Take Scion, inexpensive as compared to Toyota both have a multitude of available features... But what do you need then on top what do you want?? Scion or Toyota (same manufacture), 2 door or 4 door, new or used, can you splurge on extra hardware (TRD) are you looking for street or dirt and how big is wallet (mouths to feed??)
Now take into consideration... Scion has a following, the FRS is popular, popular enough that its being re-badged as the Toyota 86 (historically a Toyota icon)...
If derivatives of the parent have something that works, the parent will eventually incorporate it...

The same for Ubuntu vs Debian; MATE vs XFCE; XYZ xfce vs ZYX xfce..

I personally haven't tried Xubuntu; I have tried others.. They were all good but for me LL won.. Its my Scion XB 4 door, reliable, good on gas yet with a 5speed feels sporty.. Mostly my to and from work and kids baseball car...
But I do have a Tahoe for towing, van for trips and comfort (wife's day to day) and 4runner for strictly off-road...
Not to mention all previously owned and then a wish-list of others upon winning lotto's.... 8)

My plugged nickle... maybe I'm wrong..
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2016, 08:25:32 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M
Quote from: Teddy
LL is certainly better than Xubuntu in my opinion. More community support,
Not sure about that last statement, the (*)buntu forum (is quit large and very active. This forum doesn't show that much activity as the English Ubuntu forum. Also i notice that there are a few regulars here, so compared to the (*)buntu forum the availability of knowledge is much slimmer here. And therefore the community support on the (*)buntu forum is much better, there's always someone who comes up with the right answer or has better knowledge of certain items. The lesser people, the lesser that knowledge is available. On the other hand, the lesser people providing info, the easier to check the provided info.

team who is willing to put the effort forth to improve the distro release by release. LL is optimized for Windows users with less of a learning curve than most distros.
There are other distros' out there aiming for Windows users making it easier for them. Distro's like Zorin, Linux Mint and many more. So, no. Not only LL is aiming for "Windows refugees" but also other distro's. The only point left here now is indeed the learning curve issue. Which distro will these "Windows refugees" learn the quickest the use? My point here is, the easier the lay-out, the more out-of-the-box a distro is, the lesser drivers to install the better it is, that distro will be the winner.

Xubuntu really doesn't care what goes in their distro, so they in turn have poorer quality control.
I won't say that. The problem is, Xubuntu is pure Ubuntu with the Xfce desktop. So the Xubuntu people are tied to whatever Canonical is doing with Ubuntu. By removing the Unity desktop they also remove some (standard) Unity/Ubuntu applications. Adding the Xfce desktop means also adding specific Xfce applications and tools. We all know that removing 1 thing, replacing it with another might lead to improved or more worse quality. Just take a good look at Linux Lite, it is Ubuntu based, it doesn't have some of those Ubuntu/Unity features (consider this as an improvement), but at the other hand, some users might like 1 or 2 of those Ubuntu features which aren't available under Linux Lite (consider this as worse quality). The best Ubuntu feature LL is using is the fact that the latest version of LL is based on Ubuntu LTS (14.04.*), a big quality improvement compared to those "in between" versions of Ubuntu.

You compared LL with cars, so let me do it also. You compared LL with a reliable Honda Accord. Fine, but let's take that same Honda Accord and give it to a tuning company. They put a nice shiny turbo on the engine, finetune the motor management system, replace the standard factory gearbox with an racing gearbox, lower the car, add racing spring supports, race seats, another exhaust system and to finish it the car gets a nice paint job. Well, i can tell you right now, that reliable Honda Accord turned into a, somewhat, unreliable car. Who's gonna tell me that i can still drive 200.000 km with that same car? And what about the engine? Is that engine really build to produce more rpm's with that turbo installed? And how about the fuel consumption? That must have dropped a lot! Is the adhesion to the road still the same? For you this might be a hugh quality improvement, but to others..... they won't even want to look at your tuned Honda accord and they start to complain about the noise your car is producing. So, to be in short, tuning that Honda Accord is just an example of poorer quality control neglecting the results of all those changes....

I rather have a solid Range Rover than a tuned, noisy, bad driving, fuel hungry Honda Accord ;)
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #37 on: April 13, 2016, 04:43:27 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

If we take a lesson from XP,  my understanding is that the frequent updates were mainly to counter security issues / vulnerabilities.
The fact that XP was relatively  "light" and stable on the machine that it was supplied with as the main OS, and that drivers for ancillary hardware were readily available, if not already included, meant that the user could get on with using their equipment and not have to worry about breakdowns.

LL performs that function. It is still a relatively young distribution, but "old" heads are developing it. The KISS principle applies.

Once an OS works on a users hardware, there is theoretically no reason why that OS needs to be changed unless more advanced software packages are needed by the user or there are new security threats.

I believe that there are a considerable number of users still with XP (11% ?), ignoring the possible future vulnerabilities, precisely because they are comfortable with what they have got.

Hence why I choose LL.  No frills, solid performance.

2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2016, 07:25:49 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
LL is certainly better than Xubuntu in my opinion. More community support, team who is willing to put the effort forth to improve the distro release by release. LL is optimized for Windows users with less of a learning curve than most distros.

Xubuntu really doesn't care what goes in their distro, so they in turn have poorer quality control.

To put in the context of automobiles (my area of expertise) -

Linux Lite is like a reliable Honda Accord or Toyota Camry. Your always sure that it will start up and run & boot properly. It might be boring, but it doesn't have to be!

Xubuntu is akin to a Land Rover or Jaguar. Your always crossing your fingers to whether it will start up, run & boot tomorrow morning. That's how I always felt when I booted regular Ubuntu and Xubuntu.

Sent from my Note 3 using the Tapatalk Android app.

Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2016, 04:18:45 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
Major down side is the extremely infrequent release date

Can you elaborate? How would more releases improve things? Is there a gap in anything you feel needs attention?
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2016, 12:15:51 PM »

coop31

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Linux Lite: If you want a solid out of box experience. By default, is visually pleasing and very little configuration is required. It's lighter weight so while it will take up less space, it does not include certain pieces of software by default. Major down side is the extremely infrequent release date. Use if you are not concerned about getting the most recent features and software.

Xubuntu: If you don't mind having to make some changes to get the experience you want. More frequent releases mean your getting the best experience. A more complete OS by default so it takes up more space.

« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2016, 01:57:36 AM »

m654321

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member, 'Advocate' & Donator
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium [email protected] (2cores) on an Asus X71Q

• VIDEO CARD: Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 4.x
Hi,

LL really cuts it for me over any other distro (including Xubuntu) or Windows OS, for the following
reasons in order of importance (most important first):

1. The  LL forum: a real community of ever-helpful members who are willing to share their time and
    knowledge, and very importantly,  to match your level of understanding.  Ubuntu, Mint & Zorin
    forums seem much larger and as a result you feel somewhat anonymous, and so not quite
    the same feel of community about them - a unique selling point of LL

2. LL is easy to use for ex-Windows-OS users, particularly those who are not power users, e.g the familiarity of
    desktop layout and its intuitive gui which, and very importantly, does away with a need for
    command line

3. Applications rather than the package names are used - this gives clarity particularly for noobs who
    are not familiar with linux package names

4. Lightweight & does a great job of  resurrecting older PCs.  My sister got a pleasant surprise when
    I brought her Vista-run Toshiba Satellite Pro A300 back to life with LL2.8 - she was going to replace
    it, but has instead decided to keep it. She's delighted with the saving she's made!

5. Privacy issues - with LL and Linux more generally, I can avoid all the security & privacy issues that
    have been highlighted for win10 and I don't have the likes of Microsoft pressuring me to sign up to
    them.

Regards
Mike
« Last Edit: April 13, 2016, 05:46:27 AM by m654321 »
64bit OS (32-bit on Samsung netbook) installed in Legacy mode on MBR-formatted SSDs (except pi which uses a micro SDHC card):
2017 - Raspberry pi 3B (4cores) ~ [email protected] - LibreElec, used for upgrading our Samsung TV (excellent for the task)  
2012 - Lenovo G580 2689 (2cores; 4threads] ~ [email protected] - LL3.8/Win8.1 dual-boot (LL working smoothly)
2011 - Samsung NP-N145 Plus (1core; 2threads) ~ Intel Atom [email protected] - LL 3.8 32-bit (64-bit too 'laggy')
2008 - Asus X71Q (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6/Win8.1 dual-boot, LL works fine with kernel 4.15
2007 - Dell Latitude D630 (2cores) ~ Intel [email protected] - LL4.6, works well with kernel 4.4; 4.15 doesn't work

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2016, 06:38:58 AM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
And a sincere thanks to you and the team for making LinuxLite.

I second that wholeheartedly!
Although I have ran various distro's on and off as a dual boot for nearly 20 years, I still consider myself a Linux noob. Running Linux Lite has been a breath of fresh air for me. I can't quite put my finger on it but, there is something LL has/does/way it does it that gives it a pleasant feel, just like the Amiga or BeOS did back in the day.
I have a home built CCTV system that is currently running Xubuntu, but that will be running Linux Lite too before long. XFCE on Ubuntu is nothing like XFCE on Linux Lite.
I still have Windows 7 installed on this system on a separate drive, but it's now almost 5 month since I booted into it, Linux Lite all the way!  8)

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2016, 06:24:46 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

There are other distros that might be a better fit for others, and certainly variety is what makes gnuLinux great

However, I think that it is the variety that makes the change over to linux so confusing and hence why it took me so long to convert; especially as I needed my hardware to function for work purposes.  I simply had little time to spend trying all these flavours which in many cases were difficult to set up.

When buying a computer or hardware you expected it to work and hence the OS is supplied with it as part of the purchase. I.e. out of the box working.

That in my opinion is what LL is all about, to fulfil that function. The LL software  starter addons are a bonus.

I am afraid the perception of Linux is that it is for geeks who love tinkering, and it is because of this that Linux has failed so far to make real penetration.

Promoting LL will go a long way to overcome this situation, and as it develops , its use should be encouraged, even at school level.    The UK government is starting to encourage the use of open source documentation, so that is a start.

Sadly, I liken the situation as to the overthrow of a dictator, chaos ensues.
Instead of all these flavours of Linux scrambling over, and in some cases competing with, each other, it would be more sensible that the linux fraternity combine to make one OS, rock solid, that works for the vast majority of day to day users.  Or am I being naive ?
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 06:42:41 AM by newtusmaximus »
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2016, 07:33:24 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@Digistylus, thank you for your feedback.

And a sincere thanks to you and the team for making LinuxLite.

however the vast majority of new users want a simple OS that does what it says on the tin and works out of the box on their hardware. 

Spot on, LinuxLite is a good fit for me because I was able to set it up without too much fuss, and get on with whatever it is I need or want to do. There are other distros that might be a better fit for others, and certainly variety is what makes gnuLinux great. But for me LinuxLite is near perfectly tailored for me, someone who learned on and used windows, who also wants a linux distro that is friendly and comfortable for a windows user.

IIRC Vista end of life mainstream support is ending next year, for w7 it's 2020, w8 it's 2023. (and trying out w10 is what finally pushed me into looking for a linux alternative). My personal guess and hope at least, the need for a linux noob friendly distro that caters to windows users might be increasing in the future.

« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2016, 08:20:50 PM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

For a linux  newbie like me all I wanted was a light fast stable OS to replace Vista that would run on good, but dated, hardware and have suitable "office/work" packages. No fuss, just did the job and had sufficient help  online to iron out problems.  Tried Ubuntu but too slow - Mint too many "frills" hence HDD space,  Business mag suggested LL and apart from having to buy a different scanner , all hardware worked out of the box - once I read the  set up instructions properly :)  (When all else fails etc.!!). LL sets out to help newbies converting from W. It succeeds in bucketfuls for which I am truly thankful.

Some of the linux fraternity like to play around and test develop the OS, however the vast majority of new users want a simple OS that does what it says on the tin and works out of the box on their hardware.  Hence from this newbie many many thanks to all on the LL team.  May the word spread.  Ex Vista brigade next , then Win 7.

Many of business/ work packages are available for windows as well as linux (Thunderbird/Firefox/Libre Office, Skype, Dropbox, vlc etc so those considering the change to linux  can wean themselves gradually onto a different but "same" way of doing things.
Well worth the time spent.  Do it once, do it right!!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 04:32:55 AM by newtusmaximus »

« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2016, 05:18:32 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

@Digistylus, thank you for your feedback.

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2016, 05:07:10 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Have a look at Systemback; its installed on the system by default.. Very Windows-esq of system restore...
Make a restore point and if all goes up in flames restore back :)

I've used many time.. Loading drivers just to see if better results or kernels or installing an app that I wont need but a few times :)

That's a good idea, thanks. I've finished setting up the laptop where LinuxLite and the work program is on the main drive, and now I only need to get a separate media backup(s) for my generated work files, in case something really catastrophic happens etc. Doing a clean install of LLite is easier vs installing windows for me, but if I can salvage a really borked system by a restore point vs a re-install yeah I'd much prefer the restore point method.  :)

And, done on the laptop, dang, that was actually easier than even windows.

« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2016, 03:08:21 PM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

I'm still dangerously noobish when it comes to synaptic package manager, in fact trying to remove something via synaptic was what screwed something up that I needed to re-install,

Have a look at Systemback; its installed on the system by default.. Very Windows-esq of system restore...
Make a restore point and if all goes up in flames restore back :)

I've used many time.. Loading drivers just to see if better results or kernels or installing an app that I wont need but a few times :)
LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2016, 02:06:57 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Both Lite and Xubuntu use the XFCE desktop.
To move the panel from top to bottom or to the side (as I have for one of them) or even to add another panel
Settings
Panel
UNcheck 'lock panel'
Move it by grabbing at the extreme ends...

Ah good to know, thanks. I still have the xubuntu 14.04 LTS disc here, but the next LTS is coming soon and it has some interesting features from the previews I've seen. I'd rather try that one if I'm trying xubuntu again, especially since hidpi support looks to be improved on it.

Hardly a reason to dismiss a distro..

Just to be clear, nowhere did I dismiss it. While I liked it enough, for various reasons it just wasn't as good a fit for me.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section