You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu

Author (Read 54717 times)

Re: Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2016, 01:53:14 PM »

bfb

• Banned
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970
I need that taskbar to be at the bottom of the screen, I've been to institutionalized by windows. The next xubuntu LTS iirc will have the option to change that, and maybe the 14.04 xubuntu also does and I missed it somehow

Both Lite and Xubuntu use the XFCE desktop.
To move the panel from top to bottom or to the side (as I have for one of them) or even to add another panel
Settings
Panel
UNcheck 'lock panel'
Move it by grabbing at the extreme ends...

Hardly a reason to dismiss a distro..

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2016, 12:52:17 PM »

Digistylus

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello, I'm using Linux Lite as my daily driver after some distro hopping and coming from Windows. Currently using LLite 2.8 on two machines. A circa 2010 desktop now used as a living room media pc. One business laptop from a similar era as my secondary work and media machine, Krita for productivity and SMTube for watching youtube. I still have a Win7 work machine because I still need some programs on the Windows platform, but the future as I personally see it is one where GNULinux keeps improving on the desktop and laptop, vs Windows desktop getting worse, or at least disrespecting many of their home & pro customers.

Distros I've tried are:
-Linux Mint, Cinnamon and xfce.
-Zorin, Kubuntu
They're good but somehow did not fit me. 

-Xubuntu Lubuntu
Xubuntu worked ok, but I need that taskbar to be at the bottom of the screen, I've been to institutionalized by windows. The next xubuntu LTS iirc will have the option to change that, and maybe the 14.04 xubuntu also does and I missed it somehow, but it was just ok for me, I don't hate it, I don't love it, it's ok, I might like the next LTS better. Lubuntu, I like it. But for most of my own practical needs, it's a bit too sparse. Certainly not a bad distro though.

I tried and like Linux Lite, and why I am sticking with this distro for likely the long term.

I've seen and read online reviews of LinuxLite, and most of them seems to give a thumbs up for a good distro for linux noobs. My first impression after installing it for real the first time, wasn't actually overwhelming. 99.9.% of my hardware worked out of the box, but there was an issue with screen tearing. Thankfully that was solved by googling the solution by installing compton found right in this forum. I really like that the firewall was ready and activated as the default though, this is something that is sometimes overlooked but to LinuxLite's credit they did not miss this small but important detail.

I like the xfce desktop environment and LinuxLite made it very ex windows linux noob friendly, but it did not make my heart skip a beat or anything. However there wasn't any papercut problems with icons shifting on their own, it stayed and snap exactly where I want it, so I'm real happy with that. There's enough customization option but not too much to overwhelm me, hidpi support is ok but not great but at least it's servicable. Nice enough wallpaper, non annoying login sound that slowly became a bit of an earworm in a good way.   It seems solid and friendly enough, which was a welcomed feeling after my distro hopping. It was like finally finding a good reliable sedan.

However it took a month of really trying LinuxLite out, tinkering and even screwing up and doing some re-installs, to really appreciate how good LinuxLite is, and how the creator and the dev team of LLite really "gets it" when they made the distro. I'm still dangerously noobish when it comes to synaptic package manager, in fact trying to remove something via synaptic was what screwed something up that I needed to re-install, but if there is ever a problem that I need to do  a clean re-install I can now do it and have the basic functional LinuxLIte up in about an hour. I'm sure some people can do it faster, but I'm still fairly new to linux but even with the fix and tweaks to get LL2.8 from clean install to fully ready for me is counted in a few hours at most. vs last time I did a clean install of windows the minimum can be half to one full day.

It is simple and friendly enough, light and nimble but not overly sparse. It gets out of the way instead of getting in the way of users. Lite Software is great, I hope the selection of software keeps growing because it just runs rings around something like the windows app store. Lite Control Center and Lite Tweaks is exactly what a coming from windows new to linux user are happy to see. After putting LinuxLite through it's paces for a month, and seeing the smaller details that I didn't notice or appreciate until I had more time to experience it overall and in daily usage. I keep returning to this conclusion. The makers of Linux Lite just gets it.

The makers philosophy and attitude and the LinuxLite community also seems to just "gets it". They want to constantly improve the distro and help out, there is no arrogantly elitist attitude and hating on other OS -users-. They respect the users choice. LLite just gets it, and strives to get it right.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 01:53:15 PM by Digistylus »

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2016, 05:55:43 PM »

Glenn

• Peace
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual-Core - AMD E1-1500 (3rd Gen) 1.48 GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 7310
@nomko, you seem to be fixated upon the obvious similarity of Ubuntu and the use of Xfce but haven't considered the nuance and premise of Linux Lite

In my opinion, all distributions must have three distinct things which set them apart from other Linux offerings.

1. A developer or development team actively working to better the system.
2. A premise (Cause or argument which is sufficiently different than others and sets them apart)
3. An active following large enough to warrant #'s 1 & 2 and a forum, where users can actively participate, offer advice and suggestions to further the development of the distribution's next release. 

Now both number 1 and 3 have been addressed already in this thread and I hope you've not glossed over them but number 2 is the one in which I feel clearly separates Linux Lite from other Ubuntu Xfce distributions like Mint and Xubuntu.

The entire premise behind Linux Lite, is to give a Window's user the best chance at discovering the world of Linux and to present Linux in the most anxiety free way possible. The creator of Linux Lite, Jerry Bezencon has made his premise known in several interviews for online Linux publications since the inception of this distribution.

Specifics? To mention a few,

1. The choice of the Xfce DE shouldn't be easily dismissed. It's layout is simple, intuitive, functional and as configured in the iso, reminiscent of XP, Vista and Windows 7.

2. The structure of the system menu and more importantly, it's layout and labeling. Far too often a new user can be utterly confused and turned off by the names of Linux applications and many times, those applications are redundantly provided by the distribution (More than one application provided for the same task), Mint is famous for this. It's been mentioned before in this thread but needs repeating, the system menu (Whisker) in Linux Lite is labeled with common usage names and not obscure Linux application names.

3. Have you looked at the "Linux Lite Control Center"? Everything from system configuration, desktop configuration to software sources can be found here and it's intuitively designed to fit within the premise of Linux Lite.

4. Forget about terminal and apt-get, do you remember trying to understand Synaptic Package Manager during your first go around with Linux? Updating apt and adding sources? Then trying to locate the application you want (with a weird name) and hoping you don't make a mistake and soft-brick the system? I do!... Take a look at "Lite Software" app located in the System sub-menu of Whisker. There's a plethora of "intuitively labeled" and commonly used applications listed for the new user to simply click and install. No terminal, no synaptic package manager and no manual adding of PPA's. It also keeps an easily accessible,  running tally upon what apps the user has added to their system and provides easy removal too.

5. Last but most importantly (imo) is the "Linux Lite Help Manual". A NEW USERS DREAM! Answers to everything can be found here. BEST of all, it's Precisely,Concisely and Specifically written for the Window's user in mind. I can't begin to say enough about this document and how extremely valuable it would've been for me, when I first started using Linux many years ago.

In the sometimes egocentric and even arrogant Linux universe, it's a wonderful to find a developer and distribution truly engaged in making Linux and open source... Easy, presentable and FUN to potential new users.   :)

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2016, 09:55:11 AM »

firenice03

• Rockin' the FREE World
  • Global Moderator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD E2//Atom X5//AMD Phenom II X2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Mullin Radeon R2//Intel//AMD/ATI RS880

• Kernel: 5.x
@Jerry LOL.. I like your sense of humor!!!

LL4.8 UEFI 64 bit ASUS E402W - AMD E2 (Quad) 1.5Ghz  - 4GB - AMD Mullins Radeon R2
LL5.8 UEFI 64 bit Test UEFI Kangaroo (Mobile Desktop) - Atom X5-Z8500 1.44Ghz - 2GB - Intel HD Graphics
LL4.8 64 bit HP 6005- AMD Phenom II X2 - 8GB - AMD/ATI RS880 (HD4200)
LL3.8 32 bit Dell Inspiron Mini - Atom N270 1.6Ghz - 1GB - Intel Mobile 945GSE Express  -- Shelved
BACK LL5.8 64 bit Dell Optiplex 160 (Thin) - Atom 230 1.6Ghz - 4GB-SiS 771/671 PCIE VGA - Print Server
Running Linux Lite since LL2.2

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2016, 10:13:56 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Duel-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10GHz 2094.90MHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4 Series Intergrated Graphics Controller
@Jerry, I often times wonder just how you do it ... now I know! Bender it is, all the way!!  ;D ;D ;D

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2016, 09:08:39 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2016, 08:47:47 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Do I now hear "kiss my shiny metal .... "?  ;) ;D

...  8)

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2016, 07:09:16 PM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
I agree with the image 100%, and that is the thing I like about LL the most it just stays out of the way and lets me do what I want.  :)
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2016, 06:34:50 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2016, 06:08:29 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

I must not mention Windows...

...I must not mention Windows

::) ;) :)

Oh, you do make me laugh.  Thank you, I needed that!  ;D

Now to disappear to do some dratted housework. *sigh* ...::)

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2016, 05:49:53 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
@Lynne
I consider myself reprimanded...  :-X

Say after me 100 times..
I must not mention Windows

::) ;) :)
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2016, 05:07:55 PM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Hi Nomko,

Like you, I started years ago with Ubuntu and switched to Mint (Xfce version) when Unity came out. Have installed/tested many different distros over the years and understand that there are many similarities between them, especially ones based on same DE's.  It's been a long time since I've used Xubuntu, so not sure what major differences are between it and LL.

I still use Mint Xfce on a number of computers and, as can be expected, LL is similar to it.  LL's got some different default packages installed and less of them overall than provided with standard Mint installation.  There are some internally developed tools that make some operations easier for new linux users who've recently switched from Windows -- eg. Lite Cleaner, Lite Software, Lite Control Center.  There are some customizations done to the Menu structure (again aimed at new users from Windows) and it seems that more generic application names are preferred vs. the real package names (that can be confusing to newcomers).  "Under the hood", I'm not really sure what different tweaks have been done, but it does seem that LL works slightly better on older systems than Mint.  (Not by a wide margin, but a slight noticeable difference on systems with limited specs.)  That's likely because LL specifically targets Windows XP users who typically have it running on older machines.

For experienced Linux users, these things may or may not be of any importance.  So you and I may ignore or change things about LL to suit how we want it to behave.  For newcomers, these little things may be just what is needed to make their transition to Linux easier.  Mint, Xubuntu, and others are also "beginner friendly" -- so it really just boils down to which one happens to "feel" the best for the individual doing the testing. 
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 05:10:07 PM by gold_finger »
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2016, 04:40:21 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Why do people buy an Audi A1, which is based on a VW Polo(Fox) chasis/floor plan or Buy certain Seat's which are based on VW Golf chassis/floor plan.?
Some go for the name, some for added extras, some for reliability and some for cost or any those variants... Each to their own needs & wants

I could have persevered with a whole range of Distros(I tried a lot), and eventually got things to my liking.
For me, it was the LL OOB experience, but the "real" clincher was the "Nos#1" support of the forum & Dev's.
For me there would have to be something really, really compelling to now move to something else.

If I wanted "Eye Candy and Glitz"
I would run Windows 10....
Only joking :)

Funny you should speak of cars ... hubby and I were only making the analogy to them with distros on the weekend.  :)

I agree with you about this forum and its members ... a very helpful and patient bunch indeed!

Windoze10!!!!

Go wash your mouth out with soap and water!  ;D

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 12:31:50 PM »

Wirezfree

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite "Advocate"
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7-4790S

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD4600 (Integrated)
Why do people buy an Audi A1, which is based on a VW Polo(Fox) chasis/floor plan or Buy certain Seat's which are based on VW Golf chassis/floor plan.?
Some go for the name, some for added extras, some for reliability and some for cost or any those variants... Each to their own needs & wants

I could have persevered with a whole range of Distros(I tried a lot), and eventually got things to my liking.
For me, it was the LL OOB experience, but the "real" clincher was the "Nos#1" support of the forum & Dev's.
For me there would have to be something really, really compelling to now move to something else.

If I wanted "Eye Candy and Glitz"
I would run Windows 10....
Only joking :)
Upgrades WIP 2.6 to 2.8 - (6 X 2.6 to 2.8 completed on: 20/02/16 All O.K )
Linux Lite 3.0 Humming on a ASRock N3070 Mobo ~ btrfs RAID 10 Install on 4 Disks :)

Computers Early days:
ZX Spectrum(1982) , HP-150 MS-DOS(1983) , Amstrad CPC464(1984) ,  BBC Micro B+64(1985) , My First PC HP-Vectra(1987)

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 09:47:12 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

No one Linux distro can be everything to everyone. Those that try to be don't seem to last long.

Since you've been using Mint, you might want to try Pepperrmint. its minimalistic approach will make it easier to make it into something more suitable for you.

Linux Lite is designed to minimize the 'learning curve' for users transitioning from Windows to Linux, while using less CPU/RAM resources than Ubuntu/Kubuntu/Xubuntu to do so. Sure, there are versions of Linux that use even fewer resources than LL - at the price of a considerably higher learning curve. Seems that their level of difficulty is inversely proportional to how fast they are...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section