You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu

Author (Read 54653 times)

Re: Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2016, 06:24:21 PM »

Lynne

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Celeron(R) Duel-Core CPU T3500 @ 2.10GHz 2094.90MHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4 Series Intergrated Graphics Controller
Ofcourse it's all about choice, but can you call it a choice if you only have a few major desktop environments and dozens of desktop themes based on those few desktop environments and after changing the main theme call it another distro? That's not a choice, that's merely posting your own theme of a major desktop environment. Ofcourse i agree with you, it's all about choices.

So, for now... my daughter is going to test Linux Lite for me :D

I wonder now, just why you haven't had a go at making up a brand new working OS with exactly what you want in it and letting it "out there" in the OS world? I wonder if you wouldn't use some, if not all, of the "free" code available to you to put together an operating system that is "more than" or "better than" or "totally all complete"?

It is all about choice(s) and this OS is exactly what my little old HP laptop needs after using windoze, then other linux programs till finally migrating from Ubuntu 14.04 LTS to Linux Lite. I bought this laptop in 2010 and it is performing well for me, especially now with LL installed.

I hope your daughter will find her experience with LL one of ease and comfort, where she can use her computer enjoyably.

...  8)

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:09:03 PM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

• CPU: Intel Core i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4th. Gen. integr. GPU/Nvidia GeForce GTX860M
Ofcourse it's all about choice, but can you call it a choice if you only have a few major desktop environments and dozens of desktop themes based on those few desktop environments and after changing the main theme call it another distro? That's not a choice, that's merely posting your own theme of a major desktop environment. Ofcourse i agree with you, it's all about choices.

So, for now... my daughter is going to test Linux Lite for me :D
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

I don't need Google, my wife knows everything!

My Linux website

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:42:16 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Specifics aside, it boils down to choice. Some are pro-choice in the linux world, some are not. This is a good thing. I get asked this question everytime I do an interview online. I certainly won't get into an us vs them discussion. It's one better left to the users to point out the differences, why they chose one over the other. This becomes the difference in the end :)

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 11:38:14 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Perhaps you should drive it around the block a few times and get a feel for what it actually is.  :)
I actually did that with many Ubuntu based distro's and at the end they all feel the same to me. At this point i'm running Mint 17.3 Xfce on my laptop while my daughter is using Mint 17.2 Xfce. But i feel it is lagging a bit and doesn't really run well on it. But basically, it doesn't matter which package does come pre-installed or extra added like Mint or Linux Lite, under the bonnet they all use Ubuntu. So, that's why i am very suspicious when a new distro calls itself the latest/newest/fresh distro outthere.

Beside my above arguments, i don't see any obstacles not using Linux Lite on my daughter's laptop though. So, i'll give it a try.
My laptop:
MSI GE70-2PE*Quad core Intel Core i7-4710HQ*Kingston 16 GB RAM*Intel 4th Gen. Integr. GPU/NVidia GeForce GTX860M*Qualcomm Atheros Killer E2200/Intel Wireless 3160

My Linux website

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 11:10:28 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Never Mind.

Happy Trailz, Rok
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:19:05 AM by rokytnji »
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 10:46:58 AM »

avj

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Pentium D 2.80GHz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD/ATI RC410 Radeon Xpress 200/1100
Perhaps you should drive it around the block a few times and get a feel for what it actually is.  :)
“I have not failed. I’ve just found 10,000 ways that won’t work.” - Thomas Edison

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 10:33:23 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

I've seen his response, but just adding a bit more than the distro you derive from to have a better support or working system out-of-the-box doesn't create a brand new linux distro.  When i set up Xubuntu with everything working out of the box, change the default theme and icon set to the one Linux Lite is using i have basically the same distro but without any extra repositorirs to turn Xubuntu into Linux Lite.

IMHO, any distro using an existing distro to derive from doesn't add anything new to the Linux world.
My laptop:

My Linux website

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 10:17:34 AM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
For my non-technical response, it has to be the great support of the developer, Jerry, and others on this forum. As you have already seen at http://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/installing-linux-lite/liteos-based-on-ubuntu-means/msg20382/#msg20382 ;D

There is no Xubuntu forum and the Xubuntu users get lost in the Ubuntu forum. With Mint you may have a similar problem because it is only one of the many DE it offers. I let others provide more technical reasons.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 10:20:50 AM by Coastie »

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Linux Lite Xfce vs. Xubuntu
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 07:30:11 AM »

nomko

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • My personal Linux site

Beside the usage of the same desktop environment, what is basically the main difference between Linux Lite and Xubuntu? In what way does Linux Lite differ from let's say Mint Xfce, Xubuntu and other Debian/Ubuntu derivatives using Xfce?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 11:41:32 AM by nomko »
My laptop:

My Linux website

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section