You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Home Server

Author (Read 13315 times)

Re: Linux Lite Home Server
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

What I'm trying to say is that there is a learning curve with any server environment - Windows or otherwise.  As for myself, I've never had a need for one yet. Since you've set up servers before, it may not be a big deal, but there ARE some differences...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Sent from BLU Advance 4.0 with Tapatalk

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:10:07 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2014, 05:28:29 AM »

protocol77

thanks for your post but can i ask why you would not recommend using a linux server to interact with windows computers is it a incompatiblity problem or something else the main reason i was thinking linux as from what i have read they are quite stable and require almost no reboots and should not start lagging after running for a week or two like a windows machine would

as the server runs media to my whole household which is 4 adults and one child and includes at least 3 htpc's i am looking for something that will be stable and handle that demand

I can say i have not had any real issue with windows but i do have to keep rebooting it every couple weeks which is not a difficult or time consuming task just one i was looking to avoid if possible

you then also have the whole security thing as there is an internet connection going to this machine i do not use the browser and visit websites on it the only connections to the internet it makes is to update antivirus (Avast Free) windows updates and downloading Usenet files

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 01:45:43 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Welcome to Linux Lite. AFAIK, Linux Lite is only a desktop OS - there is no server version.

You could take Ubuntu Server 12.04 and install LXDE, XFCE or another desktop environment and/or window manager to make it a little easier to work with. I have done this myself once, but setting up a server, especially one to interact in a Windows environment, is not exactly something I'd do as a n00b - to me, it'd be like running a marathon right after learning to crawl. IOW, I haven't gotten bored enough to try yet...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Linux Lite Home Server
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 04:34:35 PM »

protocol77

Would Linux Lite work as a home server currently i am running Windows 7 as my home server OS as i cannot afford nor want to spend several hundred dollars on purchasing the Windows Server OS so i was thinking of testing out linux for a server OS but as i am noob with linux i want something simple to setup i am not comfortable or used to the command line yet so i need a gui and programs to help me get setup with things like Samba, and mounting NTFS drives (i have too much stuff to copy off an d formant to ext4 plus like the ability to use drives in my windows computers if needed so want to stick with NTFS)

has anyone tried it or can recommend it for use as a home server OS or should i try one of the server based distro's instead which seem more complicated i have tried using webmin but too many options so i get confused all i need is simple file sharing and backups also want to install my software for Usenet Downloading

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section