You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Is The Growth of ANDROID OS a threat to Linux - malware etc?

Author (Read 4579 times)

Re: Is The Growth of ANDROID OS a threat to Linux - malware etc?
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 03:08:22 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Owning a Acer C710 dual core celeron, 4gig ram, 16 gig SSD ,chromeOS, chromebook myself.

I'd rather deal with owning that than a Windows 8 netbook with the same specs.
Being a full time Linux user instead of a Windows Power user gives me a edge on
keeping clear of malware.

If your mind is hard wired from Windows use, then yeah. You download willy nilly stuff
from the net without thinking about the consequences or doing research first before
hitting a run button.

So no, I do not think of Android as a threat. Maybe a PITA might describe it better being as the hardware
that is comes on is locked out with special hoops to jump through to jail break them.
LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 02:29:56 AM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
The Linux architecture is already very secure by design. After all, its used in servers and supercomputers all day long (90% percent of supercomputers anyway use Linux). That's not to say that Viruses / Malware can exploit a security hole that would bypass the security architecture. Once the Virus / Malware is released, The Linux Foundation will be quick to respond and push out a security update to the kernel. It's already done pretty fast anyway, at least once a week for really bleeding edge DIY distros (Arch / Manjaro Linux or Gentoo). So yeah, even when there is a Virus, it'll get patched up pretty quick.

I suggest if your a Virus / Malware developer, do us all a favor and just do it for Windows only. Even Macintosh is fairly secure from Viruses / Malware, with the exception of the NSA spying. Linux is NSA-Free! I'll promise you that! ;)
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2014, 10:50:24 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
There's always the "other" type of malware: the dreaded telemarketing call and telemarketing text message.

I get the occasional sales call (one per month or less) but those are easy to fight. I just igore it if I don't recognize the number. If it's a legit call they'll leave a message.

Now the telemarketing text message I get a little more frequently. Around two per month, which is so small it doesn't concern me and I do have unlimited texting.

But I always wonder if either of these or both could get a little worse. How many would be bothersome? Say you got 5-10 of each per month. What do you think?

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 07:46:07 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

One only runs into problems with Android when you go outside the Play Store for software. Somebody COULD develop a malware PPA or other exploit for Linux, I suppose, but it's extremely unlikely, and even if they did, it wouldn't stay around long; their keycode would be yanked.

I HAVE heard that some of the Russian hackers are working on some of their phishing and POS exploits for Linux now as well as Windows, but they've not 'gone mainstream' with them yet. When I went through Moscow during a trip to Russia in 2001, I remember visiting a store that had almost every software title you can imagine. They were ALL *PIRATED* copies...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Is The Growth of ANDROID OS a threat to Linux - malware etc?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2014, 09:12:04 AM »

newtusmaximus

• Gold Level Poster
  • Paypal Supporter.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core duo 6300 1.86GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q963/Q965

• Kernel: 5.x
With hackers etc. targeting the popular OS and browsers etc, MS Windows and associated software have been the target of malware, viruses etc.  Android OS is now the next obvious target with all the mobile internet of things- phones, tablets Chromebooks etc.  Isn't Android based on linux, and if so, will that eventually make linux OS flavours  more vulnerable i.e risking the safety of linux as an OS.

I understand that there are some MAC OS viruses - because of the market share of IPADs?

Are we DOOOMED :(
2006 - HP DC7700p ultraslim Desktop Intel 6300 cpu  4GB Ram LL3.8 64bit.
2007 - Fujitsu Siemens V3405 Laptop  2 GB Ram LL3.6 32bit. Now 32bit Debian 9 + nonfree.
2006 - Fujitsu Siemens Si1520 Laptop Intel T720 cpu 3GB Ram   LL5.6 64 Bit
2014 - Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E754 Intel i7 4712MQ 16GB Ram LL6.6
2003 - RETIRED Toshiba Satellite Pro A10 1 GB RAM LL2.8 32bit

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section