You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux is hard to Use

Author (Read 4970 times)

Re: Linux is hard to Use
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2017, 07:43:05 PM »

skippy95

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
@RandomBoy, enjoyed your story. If you don't see a career in Linux, you should should consider writing. :)

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2017, 08:22:10 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
Jamie's Story, used by permission:

How cool is this? I came home from school today to find my mom sitting in front of my computer on the phone with someone, asking questions about Linux. She and Dad go on my computer alot so I wasn’t worried they would find anything embarrassing (yet, but I just started high school so maybe soon lol), but I’m thinking maybe she thinks she broke something. Really though, I don’t think Mom and Dad could break anything on my computer on accident anyway because they don’t know the root password. So I sat down and listened.
“Well then why is my computer so much slower than my son’s when it has 16 gigs of RAM and a quad-core processor?” she thundered at some poor Indian guy on the other end.
“We gave him that old boat anchor six months ago because it’s old and underpowered and won’t run Windows anymore. He’s done something to make it run circles around my brand new one! I have stuff to get done and I have to borrow my son’s – what do you call this Jamie?”
“It’s Linux, Mom.” I said, trying not to grin too big.
“Linux! I want that on my computer!”
A long pause, then Mom’s face starts turning red. “What do you mean you can’t do that? You’re the professional and I have to have my computer work done by my 13 year old?”
“I’m 14 now Mom…”
“Shhhh!” Back to the phone, “Well?”
Another long pause, a quiet end to a frustrating phone call, and then Mom drops this bomb:
“Your father and I want you to make our computer do what yours does. Please.”
Stunned silence
“Jamie?”
Big huge grin that won’t go away. I don’t even think a root canal could take this smile off my face right now! So I have to do some reading and make sure I know how to do this dual-boot thing. But in the meantime Mom is running LXLE on her computer from a live USB drive and singing a little song that goes like ZOOM ZOOM ZOOOOOOOM!
#Linux #Ubuntu #Windows #parents #happy #singing #dancing #iamsofreakingoutrightnowposted at https://technophobeconfessions.wordpress.com/2014/11/06/a-kid-wins-linux-converts/

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 08:01:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Cheers :)

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 07:19:12 AM »

Peejay

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3110M CPU @ 2.40GHz

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Ivybridge Mobile on Acer Aspire V3-571
I took to Linux (Mint originally) when I was 62, so fairly ancient but after many years as a serious user of various systems. But I started to repurpose some of my 'obsolete' kit that it had bugged me to throw away (or I'm just tight) and got familiar with USB boots, Live systems, partitions, installations and the rest.

A few years ago I had a friend with a new Lenovo laptop where Windows 7 persistently crashed for no good reason his repair shop could find. I helped him recover some files with a Live USB and then suggested he might like to try Ubuntu. He felt he had nothing to lose and has been using it ever since. I asked him this year if he'd like to restore Windows 7 to at least make it usable if he needed but got the reply "Don't see the point - I like Ubuntu, it does all I want and it's never crashed on me in 3 years".
Oh, and by the way, this chap, who is definitely not a computer geek, was 79 when he moved to Ubuntu.

I found Linux Lite a couple of years ago, initially because it looked like a good option for dual-booting an HP laptop that I restored for a friend, though I think she's since been seduced by Windows 10. But I liked what I saw and soon had Lite on my own kit. It works very well indeed and I've never had a situation arise that I couldn't resolve, with support from Jerry here at times, of course, who has always been great.

I enjoy repurposing older kit and was given a Dell 6000 (elderly but in excellent condition) to see what I could do with it. I wiped XP, upgraded the memory to 2Gb and installed Linux Lite. It ran well - a bit slower than my i3 Acer with 8Gb, but very usable - and the charity I did it for asked it be given to a long-serving volunteer who had worked for them for years.  It turned out she was 89 and had never used a computer before, didn't have a smart phone either, and had no idea what to do with a mouse, nor what I meant by left click and right click. I think it's fair to say she was inexperienced!
She's had it a couple of months now, has been in touch with relations in Australia, has a Facebook page and writes emails. Not bad for someone in her 90th year, is it - a real testimony to the straightforwardness of Linux Lite and the dependability of the Linux system overall.

It makes me laugh when I read on techy forums how IT guys with years of experience have tried Linux but gave it up because they couldn't be bothered with using the command line all the time. I think that makes my volunteer 'client' a genius by comparison! ???

Hats off to Jerry!  8)
Lite Phil

"The ideal is the enemy of the good."

Linux Lite also installed on 8Gb desktop, Samsung N145 Netbook (2Gb) and Philips Freevents Core2Duo (2Gb) laptop for personal use and 3 Dells and 2 Acers for others

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 03:00:29 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

I am a qualified mcsa and turned my back on windows a few years ago. Tried a few distros, liked Opensuse but then found Linux Lite and been using it since October 2014. Never though that i would use Linux but would not go back anymore to windows. Thanks all for making Linux Lite great.
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2017, 07:17:33 PM »

tomt

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
    • View Profile

Indeed. Thank you all who make it work so well. Cheers.

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2017, 05:57:51 PM »

bayoubooger

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: ASUS X541SA

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 405
been telling ev1 I know, it's not about learning commands. A dumbie can do it now. Tanks, guys!
changed from Windows 10 to a REAL OS

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 05:39:54 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

I wrote this blog post for people who think "Linux is too hard," or "You have to be a super-techno-master-geek to use Linux."  What's so cool is that some of those super-geeky techno-wizards have worked very hard to make Linux usable by us ordinary mortals.  They deserve our thanks and our support!

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2017, 01:28:05 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

:)

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2017, 11:13:21 AM »

anon

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Yes that is very true thank you to everyone that is developing and maintaining Linux Lite you guys are amazing

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2017, 11:09:56 AM »

Jocklad

• Banned
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Lets not forget all the hard work that goes on behind the scene to keep Linuxlite up to date and functional.

Jocklad

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 10:51:17 AM »

anon

• Patreon Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
And it's completely free and it doesn't spy on you unlike that other OS

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2017, 03:32:31 AM »

Linux1988

• New to Forums
  • Power by Linux Lite
    • View Profile

• CPU: I5-5200u

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce 840M
It is a little hard at first but over time they learn quickly.
Notebook /ASUS 15.6'' K555LN, FHD, Procesor Intel® Core™ i5-5200U 2.2GHz Broadwell, 8GB, sdd Intel 240 Gb, GeForce 840M 2GB,Power by Linux Lite 3.4 Kernel 4.10.10 x64

Laptop 2 in 1 Asus Transformer Book Flip TP300LA-C4171H cu procesor Intel® Core i5-5200U, 2.20GHz, Broadwell™, 13.3", Full HD, Touchscreen, 8GB,Sdd Amd R3 240 gb, Intel® HD Graphics,Ubuntu 16.04.2 Lts

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 08:32:17 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Great work Jocklad  :) helping your friend get online and using Linux.

I think Linux is not difficult in some ways too, it is about the same for setting up email, Firefox, and using them.
It is easier to update Linux, as people don't need to do OS and software 1 at a time, and reboot each time.

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 07:36:48 AM »

TMG1961

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-7020U

• VIDEO CARD: Intel(R) HD Graphics 620

yep it really is very hard  :) ;) ;D
Life on earth is expensive but it does include a free trip around the sun.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section