General > Off Topic

Linux Basics: Useful Beginner Information

<< < (2/2)

H:
I have been working my way through the above modules. Which I might say has been very helpful so far.

There is a couple points of interest I thought, that I might mention here, if I may.

1. Linux is Not Windows
2. Snaps on Ubuntu

1. I came across the last item in the list of modules and links, "Linux is Not Windows"

good read, and takes away any pre concieved ideas, or thoughts one might of had about the Linux. It clearly tells you what it is not and what it could be.

Really good stuff, and my thoughts for that topic, I think should be the very first thing one reads before they do anything else before or after an install. I would have loved this to be the first module I read from that link, not the last.

As a new user , it just gives you a background into what you are about to embark on, so rather be at the end of these modules, it needs to be in the beginning, as that is where my ideas of what I think need to be set aside. And look at it from a different perspective. Instead of thinking, this should be just like Windows, remembering newbies do not know any thing, and it would clearly and concisely put them in the picture.
Just a thought!

2. Snaps on Ubuntu
Now any newbie who sees Snaps on Ubuntu as a head line, is not thinking Linux, but rather the mind goes straight to snap on tools lol.
So one quickly grabs the article and starts reading, and see' that it is a bit like a snap on tool.
My question is though, when reading the article, and how that the snap command and the snap file installation process packages, are a little more user friendly, but come at a cost of larger files taking up larger chunks of hard drive space, less support for older machines. It also appears to not have the same theme through out, and it is not always official.

From what I have read and one of the reasons I moved to Linux Lite, was to have continuity, ease (once you get the hang of it) of use, clarity, and official cohesion through out the releases. Better use of hardware and processes.

The question begs to be asked then! Why would one want to go down the Snaps road?

I do understand that it is a choice, if you like it, try it, if not then don't, but are the creators of Linux Lite looking at it in the future?

H

Linux Lite 5.0 installed the other week, and I see Snap is part of the setup now, guess I answered my own question Huh!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version