You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux and feminism

Author (Read 10029 times)

Re: Linux and feminism
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2021, 09:50:40 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
https://www.latinforstudents.com/gender.html

https://www.fluentin3months.com/german-noun-genders/

Somebody long ago decided these things, and if there was a mythical woman dominated culture where all the scholars were women things might be different, but they would still be just as confusing in our written languages. German is a wonderful language to write in, Latin is like building a train and then making it move with the caboose, and while English is seemingly the most complex and unpredictable it simply sets a standard for modern scientific discourse that no other language can approach, largely because of a larger vocabulary that is ever changing with the progress of science, and an unprecedented adaptive praxis concerning grammatical constraints. Furthermore bias can be masked in the grammar of older languages, while English is perhaps the most forthright concerning expressions of hatred.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2021, 11:49:51 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Nice find!
They can sometimes be weird, but Penguins are so ko0L! ;)

On another somewhat related note, for some reason some languages like Russian, French, etc. felt the need somewhere in history to assign a female/male attribute to almost everything. Also, a lot (most?) every Russian male attributes are female in French and vice versa.

In french, a chair for example is female but a desk is male. (Why? erm... well... look a bird. *runs aways* )
An Operating system is male but an installation is female.
In english at least they came out with "it" and prevented the whole male/female fiasco. ;)

Bonus : A boat is male, an automobile is female, a plane is male and a vehicule is male.
French also has a bunch of accents on letter like à,è,é,etc.
English is easier. ;)

Spanish too uses genders to talk about male or female for most nouns. This is an interesting article on that topic https://k-international.com/blog/why-do-languages-have-gender/

Yeah, English a lot way easier than French or Spanish, not only because of that, but verbs conjugations are easier to learn since they don't have many of those, i.e. I do, you do, they do, he does, she does. In Spanish, yo hago, tu haces, ellos hacen, el hace, ella hace. In French, Je fais, tu fais, ils/elles font, il/elle fait. Spanish and French have 7 while English only 2. I had a hard time learning French verbs in the University, but English ones were easy enough.
Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2021, 11:35:00 AM »

Moltke

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: amd athlon 64 x2

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: amd radeon hd 6750

Without each others help there ain't no hope for us :)
Need a translation service? https://www.deepl.com/es/translator

« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2021, 11:17:21 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
Nice find!
They can sometimes be weird, but Penguins are so ko0L! ;)

On another somewhat related note, for some reason some languages like Russian, French, etc. felt the need somewhere in history to assign a female/male attribute to almost everything. Also, a lot (most?) every Russian male attributes are female in French and vice versa.

In french, a chair for example is female but a desk is male. (Why? erm... well... look a bird. *runs aways* )
An Operating system is male but an installation is female.
In english at least they came out with "it" and prevented the whole male/female fiasco. ;)

Bonus : A boat is male, an automobile is female, a plane is male and a vehicule is male.
French also has a bunch of accents on letter like à,è,é,etc.
English is easier. ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2021, 01:34:46 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Is there any kind of popular association between Linux and feminism?

Facts from the Hatchery

1/The ratio of females to males is 3:2, making the females more competitive.
2/The egg is transferred to the male's pouch for 3 months whilst the females go out on the jollies eating/drinking/merrily have a swim about, with their mates to celebrate their newborn back home with dad.
3/When the chicks are 150 days old, they are ready to live on their own. They teethe all alone, screaming happily to themselves.
4/The chicks live at sea for four years, then climb out of the water, and a new Linux release occurs.

reference source
http://bioweb.uwlax.edu/bio203/s2007/magnuson_kath/Reproduction.htm

additional source
having to hear my middle sister trying (and failing), to convert me in to a feminist when I was younger.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2021, 04:11:36 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2020, 04:59:52 PM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:21:29 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2020, 08:52:53 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

It could my etymology side coming from my mother but, I don't really like "feminism" as a word... I know males have been the "front" in many fields but I always prefered terms related to equality than ones "tipping" to one side.
I think of everyone as equal human beings.

It would be cool to have a main holiday just celebrating Humanity and the best of in human relations ;)

In fact I don't know why people are mean/stepping on someones head sometimes and don't like when someone thinks they are higher in "rank" than another human. I don't speak about the teacher/student or parent/kid ranks here, just human being "worth".
... Yeah, I can be naive sometimes and don't think before I say something I think funny at first and than feel really stupid when getting the reactions and/or looking back on it... I learned from a professional in recent years that I could be some part Asperger. I'll let you Google that! ;)

So, sorry for being stupid everyone. Feel free to slap me around with a large trout when needed.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2020, 04:30:39 AM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Oh well, maybe some males Linux users can simply "identify as" females and bring balance to the community.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2020, 03:39:10 PM »

Swamp Rat

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

The only Linux female I can think of is Nixie Pixel.

I have watched a few of her YouTube videos, but I find more "meaty" videos from others, mostly males. However, I have been a registered member of the Ubuntu Forums for at least 6 years -- and still am a member -- and know that a few well regarded members and forum moderators are female. Their advice and suggestions are every bit as valuable as those made by males.

Linux may be more used by males than females, but that doesn't make it have any gender attributes any more than cars have. It may be that human males simply enjoy solving technical problems generally more than human females do. Or maybe males prefer to not have inscrutible devices that we can't comprehend any more than we can comprehend human females.  ::)

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 12:29:54 PM »

The Repairman

• Occasional Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E6550 2333 MHz

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 82Q35 Express Integrated Graphics

« Last Edit: February 16, 2022, 12:22:01 PM by The Repairman »

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 10:30:08 PM »

Swamp Rat

• PayPal Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i5

• MEMORY: 8Gb

Not at all sure if you, @MS, are just having fun here or trying to cause a furor or just a thought topic. I am not convinced by your statements. Females can be very reliable, like Linux, but so can males. Both can also be extremely unreliable. Both can at times be obstinate. Both can also be very compliant. Neither gender has exclusive ownership of creativity, compassion, intellect, or depravity. Both genders also share numerous attributes.

I have never considered Linux as having or exhibiting any gender. Nor have I ever addressed any of my computers by either a male or female name, nor have I ever given any of them any name. How you consider Linux and/or your computer is your perogative.

For those of us who ignore the entire Linux/computer gender thinking, I offer the video below (if I can do this correctly). I suggest that viewers NOT be swallwing any liquid while watching.

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 04:29:47 AM »

Albrecht Stefan

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

There are certain associations, it's not a joke. Let's take LinuxChix as an example. It's a women-oriented community for Linux users.
An interesting read about Patricia Torvalds >>
Torvalds 2.0: Patricia Torvalds on computing, college, feminism, and increasing diversity in tech
« Last Edit: November 04, 2022, 02:00:28 AM by stevef »

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 11:29:27 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

@Sprintrdriver, I consider it more a thing of a mindset behind the scenes rather than anything associated with body or sexuality, assuming that Linux is a woman. Like, think of the gender philosophy. It is all about the mind being given priority over the bodily conditions, therefore, there is the notion of the sexual identity the mind has, rather than the body. Gender is about the sex of the mind influencing the sexual identity of a body in the aftermath, rather than thinking of a body as being the defining factor. Linux is a mind of a liberated woman, imposed upon social movement, focused upon software engineering.

But there is a hook, you see. Feminism, draws a lot from the patterns of masculinity. In order to be able to initiate or uptake a discussion with some people or parties, first you need to learn the language or certain codes of values popular among those with whom you would wish to have a dispute. Feminism, therefore, is not femininity. Feminism is quite masculine. I would even speculate feminism was invented by males.

The rich ruling elite, that is.

EDIT:

So how does femininity relate to all this Linux feminism that I argue towards? In this case, the femininity - as an order of things - would be used as a tool against the patriarchal patterns dominating the field.

PS.

For instance, look at the logo of Apple. Is it not just the symbol referencing the judeochristian excuse for patriarchy, being the cornerstone of the Northern culture?

In this regard, what is Tux? Tux is an anti-symbol. It is a toy, a symbol that is meant to refer nothing.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 01:09:48 PM by MS »

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 11:17:34 AM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
So then what do you say when installed Linux ?
 I have her installed ?
 She's laid into my harddrive ?

I don't think that will sound too satisfying for a "she".
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 10:28:27 AM »

MS

• I come here a lot
    • View Profile

No, seriously, I thought, there is something to it in the Linux world.

Like, y'know, according to certain popular beliefs, the world is ruled by the rich elite composed of typically white elderly men, who like to impose various defensive conditions upon the society - which they influence - while it seems that the women have been historically the most suppressed group, regardless of political conditions. Which is why, some viewpoints claim those white elderly rich influential males, are particularly afraid of women and femininity, being the reason for discriminative social orders brought to happen. Long story short, Linux is kind of a rebellion against those white rich influential Microsoft elderly men, is it not?

I speculate that the landscape of modern GNU/Linux is adequately depictive of the femminile mindset in self government and dynamics of progress. In other terms, Linux is a woman.

For further conspiracy theories, has anyone noticed the swastika symbol written into the logo of the Windows operating system? But it is not a nazi swastika. It is the buddhist swastika, meaning "good luck to you on your way to completion". It indeed seems to work. Microsoft effectively scores in every valid field, save maybe for the mobile phones, where it was outdone by other patriarchal, defensively minded, insecure but highly motivated oligarchies. Not perfect, but good enough to eventually take over the competition.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 10:35:09 AM by MS »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section