You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

How did you find out about Linux Lite?

Author (Read 24051 times)

Re: How did you find out about Linux Lite?
« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2014, 09:11:15 AM »

Stuart_Tanner

Having been a Linux user since 2009 i have tried most of the big ones out, Ubuntu, Mint, Mandriva, Puppy, Arch etc.
I fully moved over to Linux from day one as you got to be in it to win it!
I came across Linulite 2.0 while watching Youtube and thought i would give it a go,,,,WOW i know it's Ubuntu Debian based but it gets thing so right!
I have now installed it on my desktop and lappy as i am so impressed, i have installed extra software repositories and i couldn't be happier.
A huge thumbs up from me.

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2014, 04:23:12 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
steve(spt), I was wondering if you could post a photo of the article or tell me which issue it was in (or both). Thank you.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2014, 03:33:13 PM »

steve(spt)

Read about it in Linux Voice magazine , its impressed me that I'm going to install it on a laptop.

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2014, 10:15:12 PM »

rbdflyboy

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Was an XP user forever...that being said...used it mainly to play cash on line poker.  Started with Hold'em and switched to PLO. Then the big  "no more XP support" announcement came.  Did a Google search and found Ubuntu 14.04. Tried it out...didn't like it very much. Did another search and found Mint 17,  really liked that one and was dual booting with XP until the hdd went on my HP. :(
Shortly after that a friend gave me an old rebuilt Dell Dimension 2400 with a fresh XP install. It's too small for a full distro and a dual boot. Found Lubuntu and used that with a dual boot...found it much too unstable and throughly detest pcmanfm. Started another search trying to find a distro without pcmanfm as the file manager >:(  . Found LL2 and am quite satiated. LL2 has all one could want and need, it's lightweight, easy to use, and pairs well as a dual boot in a baby box. If for some reason the XP messes up, will have no problem using LL2 as a stand alone.  Good chance will be giving this Dell to my grandson to use, after repairing the HP ;)
Thanks

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2014, 11:55:21 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
From searching. I own antique gear and am always on the lookout for a cd sized distro. This fit the bill very nicely, Thank you.
This just kinda fell into my lap.

I always go by by hands on experience. I do not pay, (a lot of) , attention to what other people say.  I always reserve judgment till I have experienced something 1st hand.
Mom always told me. "How will know it till you try it? Try it once! That way you can say if you like it or not!"

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2014, 09:19:05 PM »

Teddy

• 'Deep in the heart of Texas!'
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Texmex
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-6700HQ 2.6Ghz/Turbo 3.5Ghz Quad Core (Skylake)

• MEMORY: 24Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M - 6GB VRAM

• Kernel: 6.x
I found out about Linux Lite through Spatry / The Linux Distro Community (Long time Spatry subscriber, January 2012). I was originally part of the Linux Distro Community since April 2012. Despite the fact that Linux Lite was starting development in October 2012, I did not find out about Linux Lite until I saw a video Spatry released about it in Mid-2013 (May, June or July. Some time around that). When I heard Valtam developed it, I was astonished. Sure enough when I went on the Linux Distro Community Forums, I found some old threads about Linux Lite dating back to November started by Valtam. Kinda a long story about just discovering the distro. Lol.
Theodore,

HP Pavilion TouchSmart 11-e015dx (11-inch "Travelbook")
ASUS Republic Of Gamers G752VT-DH74 (17-inch Main) [6GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 970M GPU, 24GB RAM]

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2014, 06:38:07 PM »

rijnsma

• Forum Regular
  • Never give up..
    • View Profile
I had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but I changed to Linux Lite 1.0.8 after finding it at DistroWatch. I wanted an Ubuntu-based distro for simplicity but with a lightweight window manager. I recently installed Linux Lite 2.0 because of a bug I suppose, I encountered when tried to login. It was keeping me at the login screen, something like a loop, even if the password was correct.

I found a solution for that: I changed the login manager from LightDM to GDM

• Go to a text terminal using Alt-Ctrl-F1
  • Stop LightDM with sudo stop lightdm
  • Start GDM with sudo start gdm
  • Run sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm to set the default display manager for gdm
  • Edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager and set it to /usr/sbin/gdm if you can't run the above
  • Restart your computer and login.

Keep up the good work! :D

P.S.: Are there any Linux Lite specific repositories? I think I read something at the manual but I'm not sure.
I tried it for my occasionally jumping icons, but it did not help. But no problem; it works!  :)

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2014, 05:51:07 PM »

light

Puppy linux video on youtube, his enthusiasm is upfliting. I was looking for something small for my wife's netbook (puppy). Saw an enthusiastic review on Linux Lite so tried it out.

I like simple and fast , cheers.  :D

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2014, 10:01:06 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hi Sonic
The GDM information looks good, why not move it to a more appropriate section so it won't get overlooked?

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2014, 09:59:34 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Are there any Linux Lite specific repositories? I think I read something at the manual but I'm not sure.

https://www.linuxliteos.com/download.html#repomirrors

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »

sonic

I had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS but I changed to Linux Lite 1.0.8 after finding it at DistroWatch. I wanted an Ubuntu-based distro for simplicity but with a lightweight window manager. I recently installed Linux Lite 2.0 because of a bug I suppose, I encountered when tried to login. It was keeping me at the login screen, something like a loop, even if the password was correct.

I found a solution for that: I changed the login manager from LightDM to GDM

• Go to a text terminal using Alt-Ctrl-F1
  • Stop LightDM with sudo stop lightdm
  • Start GDM with sudo start gdm
  • Run sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm to set the default display manager for gdm
  • Edit /etc/X11/default-display-manager and set it to /usr/sbin/gdm if you can't run the above
  • Restart your computer and login.

Keep up the good work! :D

P.S.: Are there any Linux Lite specific repositories? I think I read something at the manual but I'm not sure.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2014, 09:46:18 AM by sonic »

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2014, 12:45:28 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I've been using LL to convert friends and family to Linux ever since.

Some great stories here, I especially like ones that end like this :)

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2014, 12:29:09 AM »

tek10

• Occasional Poster
  • Patreon Supporter
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-5800K

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon HD7660D

I was using Kubuntu on a desktop as my first Linux OS. After a couple months I decided my 7 year old laptop needed to be switched from Windows to Linux. KDE was too heavy and tried Ubuntu but didn't like Unity. Searched Distrowatch for Debian/Ubuntu based distros and found LL among a few others. Played with all of them for a few weeks and found LL to be a great OS for this particular laptop. All the hardware worked and it was fast like when I first bought it. I've been using LL to convert friends and family to Linux ever since.

« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2014, 10:44:10 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
distrowatch.  LL wasn't my first choice.  LM (linux mint) XFCE was, but the wifi didn't work.  Same with Fedora XFCE.  A few distros were dated.  I went down the list in distrowatch and landed on LL.  Surprised it was so low.

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2014, 07:32:35 AM »

DLX

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Knows sod all
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 16Gb
Britec09 Channel I follow on Youtube he did a video on replacement on XP OS
Link Britec
Note to self list to get fixed 1 by 1
Read how to make LL secure.
See what else Linux Lite can do.
I think X kill is cool :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section