You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Health Tips - #1 - Portion Sizing

Author (Read 9917 times)

Re: Health Tips - #1 - Portion Sizing
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2015, 09:08:35 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Thank You Monkeyman for explaining and your answers :)

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 07:57:06 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2015, 02:22:52 AM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom II (old skool!)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 450
Anything that doesn't glorify the Lord.  Think the Ten Commandments.

It's not "required" to attend church but I do.  I get a lot out of hearing the word of God.  The Bible says, as Christians, we should fellowship with others but I wouldn't consider not going to church a sin.

Any kind of church that preaches from the Bible and believes that Jesus is the risen Saviour.  I attend a non denominational church.

Pretty much any version of the Bible is accepted although I stick with the NIV (New International Version) mostly because it doesn't sound like William Shakespeare wrote it (like the KJV...King James Version).  I don't talk like that so it's not the easiest for me to understand.

TBN is the Trinity Broadcasting Network.  It actually encompasses a couple dozen different stations.  I don't have live TV so I haven't watched anything on TBN in years.  As far as I know, it's not affiliated with any particular denomination.  More Pentecostal than anything, I guess.

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:50 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

What is classed as a sin, that born again Christians would confess, and who do they confess to, God directly, or to a priest like Catholics ?

Do born again Christians have to attend a church, is not doing so a sin ?
If so what type of churches ?
Which bible version is read by born again Christians ?

A new channel became available this month in UK called TBN, it is the first Christian tv channel on freeview,  it is from USA, have you heard of it, or do you know anything about it ?
I looked at the website it is not specific as to which church the channel is from.

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2015, 10:49:43 PM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

Thank You for explaining. :)
"born in the Spirit of the Lord" means faith/belief ?

What do born again Christians believe happens during eternal life for the Spirit ?

Sort of.  The only path to Heaven is through belief that Christ Jesus was the risen Saviour, that he lived and died for mankinds sins and is the only path to God Almighty.  Once you believe in Him, confess your sins.

There are only 2 options after the death of the body, Heaven or hell.  There is no 3rd choice.  If you're redeemed in the Spirit of Jesus, you're going to Heaven.  If not, you're going to hell.  You can't buy your way to Heaven nor can you get there through good deeds.  Oh, and EVERYONE will believe in Jesus sooner or later.  Either you'll believe in Him while you're on earth or you'll believe in Him when you stand in front of him on Judgement Day.  Unfortunately, if you wait until your body is dead, it's too late.

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2015, 08:36:33 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Thank You for explaining. :)
"born in the Spirit of the Lord" means faith/belief ?

What do born again Christians believe happens during eternal life for the Spirit ?

« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

Why are born again Christians named, born again Christians, Monkeyman ?

Everyone is born in the flesh, from their mothers womb.  Born again Christians are also born in the Spirit of the Lord, Jesus.  Jesus suffered and died, then rose from the grave to ascend to Heaven to cleanse those who believe in Him from sin.  It's a rebirth in the Spirit.  Read John 3:1-21 in the Bible.  Many people (even non-Christians) have heard John 3:16 (For God so loved the world that He gave His only Son, that whosoever should believe in Him shall not perish but have everlasting life).  Life in the flesh is temporary.  You might make it 100 years.  Life in the spirit is eternal.

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2015, 08:05:00 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello,

thank you for explaining and the link Rob it was interesting  :)
I buy 3 types of nuts.
Salted peanuts a 100gram bag once every 3 months.
Walnuts, I use these when I make a carrot cake (about once per year or 18 months), I don't add topping or filling in the centre. I have only ever tried 1 slice myself, usually whoever tastes it first hijacks the tin of slices lol. It's why I make it, to share. It was the first thing I learned how to cook.
I also buy a big bag of monkey nuts, raw peanuts in shells, for my eldest nephew, (my eldest brothers son, this nephew is older than me). I'm unsure if he enjoys breaking them open or eating them the most.

Why are born again Christians named, born again Christians, Monkeyman ?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:10:48 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2015, 05:49:26 AM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

Monkeyman - spiritual health is very important...

I'm more than covered there.  :)  I'm a born again Christian so my spiritual health is AWESOME!

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2015, 11:36:50 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Hello Rob,

thank you for the good information.
Do you prefer a particular mix of nuts ?

I buy 'em by the large jar at my local wholesale club - a mix of almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, hazelnuts/filberts, and pecans. I must be very careful to not devour the whole jar (almost 1 kg) at one sitting!

Some nut companies include peanuts, which is OK - as long as you're not overpaying for a bunch of peanuts. It just happens that the Planters 'deluxe' mixed nuts that I buy excludes them. They also make them  individual-sized packets, which I keep with me when I'm on the go. It also keeps portions under control.

All nuts are good, but some are less so than others. This link offers a slideshow of which ones are best, and which are not:

http://www.health.com/health/gallery/0,,20585485,00.html

This should tell you most everything you ever wanted to know about nuts, but were afraid to ask.

One Brazil nut per day is sometimes recommended, the man at the noodle shop does this, his doctor told him to and it improved his diabetes control, he says.

Interesting. Brazil nuts are very high in selenium, so one must not eat too many, to avoid getting too much selenium...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2015, 01:00:36 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Great info Monkeyman and altman  :)

Monkeyman - spiritual health is important too.

You are doing very well with your eating regularly and exercising. :)

« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 12:06:31 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2015, 09:07:27 AM »

altman

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
As Monkeyman wrote , a diabetic needs to eat lots of little meals during the day in order to have the blood suger stabilized or to keep it low .

Exercises are also important .
HP DV7 i7 2670QM 500.1GB 8GB Ram Dual-Boot LL2.4 Beta / Extix 15.1.1 64-bit 
Dell Inspiron 1720 CrunchBang 11

Duckduckgo ( for now )

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2015, 07:27:56 AM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

Like altman, I'm diabetic.  I'm also addicted to sugar (seriously).  I always ate huge portions (which partly explains why I topped out at just shy of 300#) but was always hungry.  Since the last Sunday of 2014, I started watching what I ate (and cut out processed sugar completely, praise the Lord...no way I could have done it without His help).  My portions are MUCH smaller now.  This has done 3 things.  First, I've lost a few pounds.  Second, my glucose levels are normal (in the 100-120 range...previously, I felt I was doing well if they were under 200).  Finally, I don't feel hungry nearly as often.  For example, last night at work (6pm-6am), I only had an apple between 6pm and midnight.  Never felt hungry but my sugar was a little low (low 90s).  I ate a PB sandwich about midnight (ONE SWIPE OF PB, NOT A 1" THICK "SLAB"!!), another one at about 2am and a bowl of plain oatmeal at about 5am.  (From midnight til 6am, I was constantly walking/climbing stairs so I knew my sugar would drop some.)  Had I not been diabetic, I probably wouldn't have eaten more than the apple and a single sandwich all night.

Sorry.  I got way off topic.  :)

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2015, 03:01:26 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Hello Rob,

thank you for the good information.
Do you prefer a particular mix of nuts ?

One Brazil nut per day is sometimes recommended, the man at the noodle shop does this, his doctor told him to and it improved his diabetes control, he says.
Sometimes people call peanuts "brain food" (as is oily fish, 3 portions per week) due to the reasons you have explained. Brain health is very important, such as with learning, stress and the natural growth/aging process.
Here is sold very small boxes of sultanas, sometimes the boxes are sold in a multi-pack, these make a good snack too, and can be alternated or mixed with nuts.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 07:29:47 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2015, 04:20:36 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

A handful of mixed nuts make a good snack. Just don't eat the whole can at once.

Nuts help even out blood sugar spikes, are rich in necessary minerals such as magnesium and selenium, and are an excellent source of healthy fats...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2015, 12:43:40 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

Sounds like my eldest brother :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section