You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Cooling fan for Acer Aspire 3000

Author (Read 12933 times)

Re: Cooling fan for Acer Aspire 3000
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 02:13:19 AM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Ohjrson,

glad it helped, hopefully you will have some peace for a while.  :)

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 12:39:50 AM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
Hello Ohjrson,

I am unsure if it is the same with the type of fan you are using, but with noisy PSU fans I have done this for several machines in the past -

1/ unplug from mains electricity supply
2/ undo the cover screws and remove the PSU, then undo the PSU screws and remove the fan.
3/ in the centre of the fan is a foil sticker,  peel this off, and save for later.
4/ in the centre where the sticker was is a flush cover/bung, open this using a needle or fine
    screwdriver, this reveals a well.
5/ drip into the well 2-3 small droplets of white/clear machine oil, as used for sewing machines.
    (I used a small bottle with needle tip, if the bottle has a larger opening you will need less drops) (ohjrson Made own oil from mix of motor oil and vaseline about 60/40)
6/ turn the fan blades a few times in each direction, leave to soak a short while. (I placed a
    cleaned diet pepsi bottle cap over the well, on the outside, whilst it is soaking so no dust
    attracts to the oil)
7/ replace the central cover/ rubber bung into the well, wipe any excess off and replace sticker. If
    needed apply removable gum to affix it, so it can be removed at a future time.
8/ reassemble and fan was then silently running.

Note - prior to the above I will use an Air duster to remove loose dust, then I use a computer swaps, it is like cotton buds but lint free cloth instead of cotton wool and had wider handles, onto this I spray Digital Cleaning Spray, the blue one, Actually they give you 100 swaps in the pack with the digital cleaning spray, but you can buy extra ones, I then wipe off the blades of the fan and around insides of fan outlet at bother ends in psu, collect out any dust inside the psu unit so it is very clean. Then clean up the mess on desk and begin the fan lubricating process described above.

Additonal info , the fans on psu make the noise because the oil/lubricant dries up or contains matter it didn't to begin with, and also dust on blades unbalances the fan, so it causes wear, many fans that are changed due to being noisy just need to have lubricant added, using above method.
The sooner lubricant is added when noise begins the less wear will occur as the fan is not running "dry" etc.

I went and actually performed a cleaning and re-lube of sorts (did not totally disassemble the fan assembly as I could not figure out how the fan blade was being held on. It had some sort of brass plug topped with plastic in the normal location mentioned in the video link shengchieh provided.) just like what is mentioned here. So far it has been silently running since.
What I did was slightly different then what is shown in the video. Because my fan was on the laptop. Once I had the fan out, I actually peeled the other side of the fan cover off. (this is the side that you can see when the access cover over the fan is taken off, sorta looks like part of the rotor really.) Once that was peeled back I saw three small holes, I added the mix of oil I created from the video and spun the fan. Then put everything back together. It has been quiet ever since. (Knock on wood)
:o Praying that fixes it for a while.  8) ;DThanks for the info. It has helped...
ohjrson
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 12:55:17 AM by ohjrson »
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:24 PM »

shengchieh

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Tux's Links
Here's a DDG search for   noisy computer fan

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=lm&q=noisy+computer+fan

My old desktop was extremely noisy - sounded like a vacuum cleaner.  Many times, I opened the desktop, clean, peel off the sticker on top of the fan, add a drop (1 o2 drop) of 3-in-one oil, twirl and
clean the fan, and put everything back on.  And computer will be quiet for another few months.

Trick: to clean the computer I use both air gun and vacuum cleaner.  With air gun alone, dusts fall back down to computer.   Never, never, never, stick a vacuum cleaner in the computer - the
electro-magnetic field it creates can wreck computer components.  Instead have a vacuum nozzle about a feet above the computer.  Then use the air gun to shoot the computer.  Dusts
will rise and the vacuum cleaner will "eat" them.

Sheng-Chieh

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:47 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello Ohjrson,

I am unsure if it is the same with the type of fan you are using, but with noisy PSU fans I have done this for several machines in the past -

1/ unplug from mains electricity supply
2/ undo the cover screws and remove the PSU, then undo the PSU screws and remove the fan.
3/ in the centre of the fan is a foil sticker,  peel this off, and save for later.
4/ in the centre where the sticker was is a flush cover/bung, open this using a needle or fine
    screwdriver, this reveals a well.
5/ drip into the well 2-3 small droplets of white/clear machine oil, as used for sewing machines.
    (I used a small bottle with needle tip, if the bottle has a larger opening you will need less drops)
6/ turn the fan blades a few times in each direction, leave to soak a short while. (I placed a
    cleaned diet pepsi bottle cap over the well, on the outside, whilst it is soaking so no dust
    attracts to the oil)
7/ replace the central cover/ rubber bung into the well, wipe any excess off and replace sticker. If
    needed apply removable gum to affix it, so it can be removed at a future time.
8/ reassemble and fan was then silently running.

Note - prior to the above I will use an Air duster to remove loose dust, then I use a computer swaps, it is like cotton buds but lint free cloth instead of cotton wool and had wider handles, onto this I spray Digital Cleaning Spray, the blue one, Actually they give you 100 swaps in the pack with the digital cleaning spray, but you can buy extra ones, I then wipe off the blades of the fan and around insides of fan outlet at bother ends in psu, collect out any dust inside the psu unit so it is very clean. Then clean up the mess on desk and begin the fan lubricating process described above.

Additonal info , the fans on psu make the noise because the oil/lubricant dries up or contains matter it didn't to begin with, and also dust on blades unbalances the fan, so it causes wear, many fans that are changed due to being noisy just need to have lubricant added, using above method.
The sooner lubricant is added when noise begins the less wear will occur as the fan is not running "dry" etc.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 10:52:17 PM by bitsnpcs »

« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 01:50:32 PM »

ohjrson

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

LOL rokytnji that sounds interesting. However I do not think it is a problem with the actual airflow. I need to resolve the noise from the fan. The fan works, the problem is over time something gives and the actual floating rotor gets so loose that it hits against the outer shell causing the fan blades to rub and make noise. I was hoping that someone could recommend a fix for that issue or another type of fan that could replace it.

But thanks for the hint, if I somehow run into a situation where it is not getting enough air I will keep that in mind.

ohjrson

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2014, 11:55:53 AM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
I tear apart laptops and netbooks. Replaced old thermal paste and lcd cables.

Other than changing out with a new fan. I see no other option. Inserting sound reducing foam or sound insulating anything will make the fan work harder trying to cool the laptop. From you installing sound insulation which will keep heat in.

Sometimes. With old gear. You just live with what you can do.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-screenshots-94/debian-desktops-883752/page5.html#post5236866

I won't mention taking a battery drill. Pulling the bottom plastic cover. Then drilling air flow holes in the cover.
It might disrupt the airflow designed to make your laptop run cool.  So I won't mention that.  ;)

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

Cooling fan for Acer Aspire 3000
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 11:15:53 AM »

ohjrson

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hey
     I have this Acer Aspire 3000 that I have had for 5 years or more. It has an issue with the cooling fan. It is plain NOISY, Rattles and all kinds of stuff. It seems to cool ok but the fan is just crazy noisy. I have replaced the fan once already and that cost me a lot. Is there anything one can do to minimize the noise on this models fan? Anything would be helpful. I have another set of cooling fans underneath it that cost me 10 buck but even they are starting to make some noise.
Help!!

Ohjrson

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section