You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Chrome Browser on an old Laptop

Author (Read 15259 times)

Re: Chrome Browser on an old Laptop
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2023, 11:31:07 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel celeron 900 @ 2.20 GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: mesa DRI Mobile Intel GM45 Express Chipset

• Kernel: 5.x
@mcqueenjosh ,
Just to make it crystal clear, I'm running Linux Lite 5.8 not 6.0 and Chrome runs smoothly on 5.8 as well.  I'm sure that Chrome runs just as smooth on older machines running Linux Lite 6.0 series, I haven't any plans on going to the 6.0 series with my older laptop as I'm very satisfied with 5.8.  When I purchase a new machine in the very near future I will definitely consider the newer version of Lite.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2023, 10:04:27 AM »

mcqueenjosh

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 256mb

• Kernel: 6.x
It sounds like you have an older laptop with limited resources and you were concerned about the performance of Chrome on Linux Lite 6.0. However, after downloading and installing Chrome from the Linux Lite software repository, updating to the latest version, and testing it out, you were pleased to see that it performed well on your machine, with the CPU usage dropping to 7% after the initial start-up. It's good to know that even on older machines, Chrome can run smoothly.

Thanks for the valuable information for others who might be considering using Linux Lite 6.0 and Chrome on older hardware. It's great to hear that Chrome is performing well on your machine after updating!

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 11:15:41 AM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

You are correct on all except I'm running Lite 5.8, Chrome runs very well and it is nice to have the choice again.  Anyone running Lite on an older machine can take advantage of this without any regrets or loss of function.

Best regards
Vint,
God Bless Texas

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2023, 10:49:29 AM »

MathildeBuxto

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Sloboda Studio

It sounds like you have an older laptop with limited resources and you were concerned about the performance of Chrome on Linux Lite 6.0. However, after downloading and installing Chrome from the Linux Lite software repository, updating to the latest version, and testing it out, you were pleased to see that it performed well on your machine, with the CPU usage dropping to 7% after the initial start-up. It's good to know that even on older machines, Chrome can run smoothly.
never give up

Chrome Browser on an old Laptop
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 04:22:15 PM »

vint

• Lignarius Faber
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Novice
    • View Profile

Howdy folks,
My laptop is a Compaq Presario CQ56 dual boot running Windows 7 home premium and Linux Lite 5.8, Intel Celeron processor 2.20 gigahertz single core single thread, 4 gb of ram.  I was concerned with the new Linux Lite series 6.0 going to Chrome as a default browser as all of us Windows know it completely slows down an old processor.  I downloaded the Linux version of Chrome from the Lite software repository and installed it, updated to the latest version via the synaptics package manager and gave it a test drive.  I was pleasantly surprised when looking at the task manager after initial start up @ 100% on the cpu it dropped down to 7% when it came up and I started using it, so if you have an old machine with specs like mine don't be worried as it works well.
Vint,
God Bless Texas

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section