You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

browser possibility

Author (Read 6389 times)

Re: browser possibility
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2022, 02:56:02 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I have installed the Debian 11 package version of LibreWolf for Ubuntu 22 in Linux Lite 6.0 now. So far it all seems to work well. Online installation instructions are fairly simple, though out of habit, I added the repository before importing the key unlike the online instructions. Anyway all seems well for now. I will begin to look into the features of the Cachy version in comparison as time goes on.

TC     
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2022, 03:58:36 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

Still a Seamonkey fanboy. No longer a Mozilla product, just hosted on their servers for now, but I hope that will change.

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2022, 11:14:39 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

Not referring specifically to librewolf but rather to the Cachy browser which improves on librewolf. I'm interested in those improvements. I have already used librewolf on Debian 11. Also I would argue that librewolf is a worthy project given their development philosophy.
From their web page:

LibreWolf also aims to remove all the telemetry, data collection and annoyances
LibreWolf is a largely community-driven project and we don’t just say that. We encourage you to join us
LibreWolf is not affiliated with Mozilla
I would assume that the Debian 11 package can be installed in Linux Lite given that it is compatible with Ubuntu 22, but that is not my interest here. Some of us believe that Firefox/Mozilla has finally inflicted a mortal wound upon themselves and not just a shot in the foot. Community development and a fork will soon be the only desirable future for good stable secure firefox code. Blink based browsers and Chrome/Chromium in general are not user friendly given their incompatibility with desktop user code and isolations from other applications and shells like bash etc. If the best version is MS Edge (dev), and it clearly is, it should be obvious that they are something we do not need more of in the Linux world. I am not a browser expert or a current developer but I certainly require no education on the subject, since I go all the way back to netscape. Given that there is already a Debian package for Bullseye and SId I think forking and tweaking it for a specific "Lite" browser might be a worthy project for the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(browser_engine)
All silly arguments aside, the only thing that could ever rid the Web of garbage is the end of proprietary software, or an international law against it. That will never happen since it is a fiat based business and its failure might well collapse the world monetary system. As long as Linux struggles for simplicity and detachment there is hope for the common everyday user, but I'm not so sure there is much time left for that hope, as it is sure that Web security is a hoax and it's narrators are always fallaciously manipulative.

TC     

Well said!

" I'm not so sure there is much time left for that hope"

Yes... But then, we can make it count!
(See Al Pacino's speech in "Any Given Sunday")

Best regards! :)
"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2022, 08:49:28 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Not referring specifically to librewolf but rather to the Cachy browser which improves on librewolf. I'm interested in those improvements. I have already used librewolf on Debian 11. Also I would argue that librewolf is a worthy project given their development philosophy.
From their web page:

LibreWolf also aims to remove all the telemetry, data collection and annoyances
LibreWolf is a largely community-driven project and we don’t just say that. We encourage you to join us
LibreWolf is not affiliated with Mozilla
I would assume that the Debian 11 package can be installed in Linux Lite given that it is compatible with Ubuntu 22, but that is not my interest here. Some of us believe that Firefox/Mozilla has finally inflicted a mortal wound upon themselves and not just a shot in the foot. Community development and a fork will soon be the only desirable future for good stable secure firefox code. Blink based browsers and Chrome/Chromium in general are not user friendly given their incompatibility with desktop user code and isolations from other applications and shells like bash etc. If the best version is MS Edge (dev), and it clearly is, it should be obvious that they are something we do not need more of in the Linux world. I am not a browser expert or a current developer but I certainly require no education on the subject, since I go all the way back to netscape. Given that there is already a Debian package for Bullseye and SId I think forking and tweaking it for a specific "Lite" browser might be a worthy project for the future.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blink_(browser_engine)
All silly arguments aside, the only thing that could ever rid the Web of garbage is the end of proprietary software, or an international law against it. That will never happen since it is a fiat based business and its failure might well collapse the world monetary system. As long as Linux struggles for simplicity and detachment there is hope for the common everyday user, but I'm not so sure there is much time left for that hope, as it is sure that Web security is a hoax and it's narrators are always fallaciously manipulative.

TC     

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2022, 04:12:21 AM »

Şerban S.

• Şerban
  • PayPal Supporter
  • I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Forum

• CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790

• VIDEO CARD: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 + NVidia GK107 (GeForce GT630 OEM)

[...] They mention forking and improving librewolf browser as their default browser [...]

Hi! :)

I've searched a little...
Here it is what I got:

"What is LibreWolf?
This project is an independent fork of Firefox, with the primary goals of privacy, security and user freedom."
(Source: https://librewolf.net/ )

I tested FireFox against Chrome/Chromium. All the same: 150 MB RAM/document, topping at 450 MB/document. The longer you browse, the larger the amount of RAM is used.

The next "candidate", would be Brave.

https://brave.com/

Is it so great?
On the performance side, maybe some improvement can be seen. Generally speaking, about the same though.
On the privacy side, maybe this is better. Still...
What means to test this claim do we have at home?
Is privacy testing "easy-peasy" or "a walk in the park" as they say?
Nothing even close!
It takes years to learn one programming language. And to perform security tests, it takes to be very good at at least 5 programming languages, regardless the specific frameworks (endless list...).
The simple question is: Do we have the time to do this, just to check the claims of a popular product like a browser?
And as such: are we supposed to take the claims for granted?

Here is an interesting article from Brave browser, which clearly points to the facts that distinguish one variation from another:
https://brave.com/learn/fastest-web-browser/

As we all can see from the article, there is a very long list of dependencies that generate the final result:
1. Fast browsing;
2. Secure and private browsing.
There is a catch here: the more secure you browse, the less sites you visit.
Why is that so?
Basically, it is the nature of internet itself: you filter one site, because (list of arguments...). One criteria, would be that it is stuffed with ads, of all kinds, the second being the trackers; visible, or invisible. And the list can go on: slow response time, too many scripts, etc.
The more filters you apply, the less sites you see, thus, the less results you get in your searches. And that is a fact!
And this kind of facts, raise this question:
Why use a browser, if it gets you in the middle of nowhere?

And here we are again in front of the same endless debate:

Which Operating System is the best?

And my answer is this:

The one that fits best your current skills!

The same goes for browsers, audio editors, video editors, vector graphics, 3D modelling, you name them all!... ;)

Now... Getting back to where we started:

librewolf browser

Is it available as a downloadable package?
Maybe someday soon?

Otherwise:

* Am I supposed to change the distro because of a single App I like on that distro? Or...
* Am I supposed to learn how to compile programs from source and buy the required hardware that is capable to do that in (a lot!) less than 24 hours?

Temporary conclusion:

I used over the years:

Chrome; Opera; FireFox; Netscape Navigator; SeaMonkey; Brave; Chromium; Vivaldi; Internet Explorer.

SeaMonkey browser in fact, is just a way to put it. Has browser capabilities, but is far more than that. I used it mostly to edit and tweak web pages.

If I want "incognito" browsing, I use a different browser. Otherwise, I use Chrome. Do I like Chrome? That's an overstatement. I just need some features of it. And it seems I have to pay the price for that. We all pay somehow for what we need or want. It takes a very long journey to ponder wisely if the price is worth the trouble.

Best regards, and thanks for the information! :D
Șerban

"It's easy to die for an idea. It's way harder TO LIVE for your idea!"
Current Machine:
 Dell Precision T1700, 16 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.
Laptop:
 ASUS X200MA , Intel® Celeron® N2830, 2 GB RAM, SSD Kingston A400, 480 GB.

browser possibility
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2022, 09:00:20 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Quite interested in this new Arch based distro. I'm going to test run it over the next few weeks.

https://cachyos.org/
https://wiki.cachyos.org/

They mention forking and improving librewolf browser as their default browser and offer multiple file system options including zfs.
TC
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 09:03:15 AM by trinidad »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section