You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Before Linux Lite

Author (Read 10324 times)

Re: Before Linux Lite
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 12:24:03 AM »

mdiemer

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 6150se nForce 430

• Kernel: 4.x
My first Linux was Ubuntu 13.10. Then I tried Mint. Then Zorin, Ubuntu Mate, LXLE, Solus, MX, Manjaro, Deepin, elementary, Fedora, Ubuntu Budgie, and some others I can't remember. Currently, I have Linux Lite on one drive, Windows 7 on another, and True OS (BSD) on another. Another computer has Windows 7 Pro but that is my music machine. My wife has W7 on a Dell laptop (both of my computers are desktops). and we have an old Gateway with windows 98 that never gets used and was never online.

Many of the above systems are not stable on my Gateway GT5656. Manjaro and any of the Ubuntus work well, besides Linux Lite. Zorin and Solus I really liked, but they always break down on me. Mint just bores me for some reason. I settled on Linux Lite because of the stability, intuitiveness and easy transition from Windows. This is important because I want to put Linux on my wife's laptop as a dual boot. I think LL will be easy for her to learn. And I will have exactly the same thing on mine, so I'll be able to take care of hers more easily. I'm hoping my distro-hopping days are over, at least for awhile. The BSD I just fool around with. You can learn a lot about computers with it. It's a unix system, kind of in-between unix and linux. Many of the commands are the same. But it's a challenge, no doubt about it.

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2018, 07:08:43 PM »

kpanic

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i5 M450

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Nvidia GT216
I guess I'm an ol'-school Linux user (My late father actually knew Linus Torwald's mother, not that it has to do with anything else, than the fact that Helsinki is a small city), I began installing some old Red Hat distro around ~96-97. Then I began to use SuSE Linux - and I still don't know why! However, I used it about 20 years or so until the openSUSE distro became practically unusable this year - it has been long time coming though.

So, I began to search for a lighter and more consistent distro for personal use and after testing a couple of Ubuntu flavors, I found this one. And man, I love it! No bells and whistles, just everything you need - and of course the huge repository full of software. Super fast, well polished and very consistent Linux Distribution.
As a professional System Administrator since year 2000, I give this distro 9.5 out of 10
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 11:31:46 PM by kpanic »

« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2018, 10:39:54 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

Wonder if they called it something else like Lindoors, Lindoze or "This is not your average Mucrosuck OS!", would it have went to court?
To the Time Machine, Doctor!

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2018, 09:09:35 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

I have been away from Linux for almost 10 years. The last distro I used was Freespire.

In the old days laptops would never last but now I have an 8 year old Acer 10 inch that works fine but not with Windows.

Ah, Freespire, the former Linspire from the former Lindows.
Remember Lindows?  It was doing OK, until Microsuck sued the sh*t out of them :(  .."because it was misleading potential customers to believe they were getting Windoze XD
...sometimes judges are sooo stupid...
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2018, 08:25:03 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

I never used XP personaly. I used Windows 2000. Tried XP 64 bits for a week went back to 2000. Then when Windows 7 came out I used RC1 for many years and never looked back.
Giving credit where credit is due, Windows 7 WAS the best Windows for users ever, until W10 came out and in a "strange coincidence", MS broke Windows updates for 2 years turning lots of computers in turtoises.
I only have a W10 machine for DirectX 12 with W10 privacy options all enabled (no updates, etc.). W10 being the reason I have came back in Linux full force (tried Ubunto 9-12 a few years back).

XP is a monster on ressources, but if you have XP without SP2 or SP3 it can work on 256MB RAM quite nimbly... but thats ancient history.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2018, 10:34:07 AM by TheDead »
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »

Ottawagrant

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Duo Core 2 E8400 @ 3.00GHz

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel Q45/Q43
to 'TheDead'- couldn't agree more. There is a fun post that shows what Windows XP would look like if it was still in development in 2018. That is one thing about XP. It worked. I love a quote I read one time. 20 years ago we wished Linux was like Windows. Now we wish Windows was like Linux.
https://www.onmsft.com/news/what-if-windows-xp-came-back-in-2018-check-out-this-fun-concept-video

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2018, 03:35:44 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Stupid as it sounds... a lot of distros just "don't get it" ;)
They should stop trying to reinvent the wheel... "Creators Update" anyone? That one made me LOL.
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2018, 03:09:16 PM »

Nyto

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i7-9700T

• VIDEO CARD: Intel UHD Graphics 630

LOL, my first distro was Mandrake Linux many many moons ago  ;D.

Then it was Mandriva. Then I tried Red Hat. Then I stuck with SimplyMepis for a few years. Then I tried Suse (before OpenSuse existed), then I withdrew for a few years. Then I bought a netbook and installed Netbuntu. Then I tried Ubuntu (before the "Unity fiasco"), then went for Fedora, Lubuntu, then tried Xubuntu and stayed there for a few years.
One of those days while in Distrowatch, I read about certain Linux Lite, so I said 'why not?' Donloaded, installed, booted...
...and I could heard the "Haaaleluyah!" singing in the air  ;)

I keep trying out new (as in "trendy in the news") distros, like MX, Manjaro, PCLinuxOS, Devuan, etc. But that's on my backup computer. My main computer has LL 3.8  8)
Pathological tweaker.

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

If you count computers that I had when I was a kid... we had a Texas Intrument TI99/4A, a Coleco Adam, a PC(with turbo ;) ) then a Commodore 64.
Weird thing, over the years, went from Memory Module, to cassette tape, to big floppy, to small floppy, to CD, to DVD and now... to Memory Module again. ;)
Like the lady in Poltergeist said... "The circle is complete...!" (insert the Inception sound).

Cheers!
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 04:57:05 AM »

Aguilar

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Before Linux Lite? There was only darkness... ;)

Had an Amiga... was great but company died.
Had a BeOS machine... was great but company died.
Had/have Windows machine(s)... not great but need for work and gaming.

I then tried Ubuntu 9-10-11 a few years back. Played around with it a few weeks, just long enough to get World of Warcraft working on Linux/Wine at the time... a pain in the posterior. Had to recompile my own sound and video drivers and got the thing running fine, but this was more trouble then fun so I went back to the Dark Side a few years.

Came back about two year ago tried about 30 distros other than a plain ubuntu and landed on Linux Lite (insert angels singing or the 2001 monolith song, your choice :D ) . Now I spread this new found hapiness and joy to everyone! ;)

I was using Ubuntu before Linux Lite. I think have Ubuntu installed on one machine that I use from time to time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2021, 12:25:58 PM by Aguilar »

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2018, 06:49:04 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron430 1.73 GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RC4 10M
In the Beginning...

There was nothing.

And God said, "Let there be Light!"

And there was still nothing.

But

You could see it.

If you really want to quote the Holy Book, than do it properly

1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.
2And the earth was without form, and void; 
and darkness was upon the face of the deep. 
And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.
3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
Packard Bell Easynote MZ35, 32 bits

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 04:26:30 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

[/size]You could see it.

Never heard that one... I LoL'ed ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 08:32:05 PM »

Artim

• Always Learning
  • PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Lieutenant Commander, Confederate Space Force
    • View Profile
    • Confessions of a Technophobe

• CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU T7300 @ 2.00GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller

• Kernel: 5.x
In the Beginning...

There was nothing.

And God said, "Let there be Light!"

And there was still nothing.

But

You could see it.

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2018, 06:20:19 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Before Linux Lite? There was only darkness... ;)

Had an Amiga... was great but company died.
Had a BeOS machine... was great but company died.
Had/have Windows machine(s)... not great but need for work and gaming.

I then tried Ubuntu 9-10-11 a few years back. Played around with it a few weeks, just long enough to get World of Warcraft working on Linux/Wine at the time... a pain in the posterior. Had to recompile my own sound and video drivers and got the thing running fine, but this was more trouble then fun so I went back to the Dark Side a few years.

Came back about two year ago tried about 30 distros other than a plain ubuntu and landed on Linux Lite (insert angels singing or the 2001 monolith song, your choice :D ) . Now I spread this new found hapiness and joy to everyone! ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2018, 10:25:44 PM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
My first trial with Linux was at the end of the nineties with Red Hat Linux, I still have the installation CD somewhere, it came as a magazine cover CD. Not too long after that I installed Mandrake Linux and was very impressed, I think it was version 5 or 6, I stuck with that for quite a while. My next one was Suse Linux Professional, I loved that and stuck with it until Novell gave it up and it became OpenSuse.
After that I've pretty much hopped between distro's and not been stuck to one in particular. All of these have been dual boot with Windows which I still do now.
I use what I find most suitable for the task at the time, I use Bodhi Linux on a couple of machines, Antix, Damn Small Linux and various incarnations of Puppy Linux gets used on some old PC's, and now 3 of my systems have Linux Lite on them including my main PC.
I also have a few machines running Amithlon and X-Amiga, both of which use a custom Linux with a Gentoo 2.6 kernel to boot the Amiga system and Workbench so I'll include them as Linux machines.  ;)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section