General > Off Topic

Any ideas ?

<< < (2/2)

bitsnpcs:
Hello,
I have been given a computer by my brother, it did have xp pro, if I can get it working it will be my better spec LL machine than my current one which is very old pc (15 years) and I am unable to do all the things I want on it due to its age.
This one is a Medion AMD 64, it has a pci-e graphics so that is newer than the P4 and pci legacy of the current machine.

I am unsure what he done to the OS, it arrived and would not boot.
Initially he said he wanted me to get some photos and spreadsheets off it and if I could then I could keep the computer.
What I have tried -
I used Kapersky recovery disc, this booted but then crashed.
Hiren would not boot at all, or Knoppix. The disc spins and this is all.
I then tried SATA to usb to find the files on another pc, it finds the hdd when attached to another pc, it says the contents are 0 bytes and produces a message saying the drive is not formatted and asks if I want to format it.

After this I returned it to him out of ideas to recover his files, he now says I can still keep the computer without having to recover the files. He has another computer, and the children use tablets.

I put the Linux Lite disc in and it booted to the desktop, then froze and I used the power switch to turn it off.
Now the screen remains black and the monitor light is red, so the monitor is not detecting the pc is attached to it.
I have also tried an alternative graphics card (out of this pc) in case this was faulty.
I have also removed and reseated the ram modules.

When switched on the power button lights up and stays on unless pressed/held to turn off, all fans spin up, pc not detected by monitor.

Does anyone have any ideas of what to try next, to get it to the stage I am able to get the monitor to realize it is attached and am able to begin instal of LL ?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version