You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Advocating Linux to windows users - what to improve ?

Author (Read 2559 times)

Re: Advocating Linux to windows users - what to improve ?
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 12:56:08 PM »

MCReaves

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Quad Q9400

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RX 550 4GB
I'm new to Linux Lite, but I installed MX Linux on a coworkers laptop because they were so frustrated with Windows being "so dang slow", and I suggested Linux. They so far are loving it. If I had known about Linux Lite at the time, I probably would have chosen to install it to their laptop instead as they are a typical Windows user who has never touched anything outside of basic computer use.

Windows is very resource intensive and there is not much you can do about it either. With Linux, if you don't like how something is configured, you can change it. Linux in general also runs a lot faster and smoother than the current Windows. I have crashed every version of Windows from 3.11 to 10 many many times. I have yet to be able to actually crash Linux in the roughly twenty years of use. I have lagged the heck out of it many times though but it has always taken the abuse like a champ and recovered nicely.

Concerning the question itself, my personal suggestions would be relating to documentation (LL does a good job here compared to most distros) and alternative software for common Windows software. I've seen a lot of people addicted to Adobe products and I've told them that there are a lot of free and open source programs that can do the same stuff. The learning curve might be a little steep, but it is well worth the effort. Another suggestion, of course, is making stuff easy, which LL does pretty well as well. When I first tried Linux, I tried Slackware many many years ago. It was the hardest thing I ever done on a computer. It actually kept me using Windows (ME) at the time just because it was so hard. As time went on and Ubuntu showed up and became more refined, I started using it. Then, over the last few years, there has been great improvement in Linux Desktop ease of use across many distros. I don't really know what triggered the change in general, but it is a welcome one. Windows users have been trained to know as little about the operating system as possible. To get them onto Linux and to keep them, it needs to be easy to test, easy to install, and easy to use. As time goes on and they become more aware of what Linux can do and just how much control they have over it, they will naturally embrace the hardest aspects, unless they are like my coworker and just use computers for basic internet browsing. I myself am not an advanced Linux user. I do poke around here and there and do some bash scripting here and there, but generally, I just want things to work and be reliable.

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 12:16:07 PM »

Paul74

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core I3 M380, core 2 Duo 8400, AMD x64 5000

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Cedar

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello,

"I've installed LL on the computers of quite a few friends and relatives and have yet had anyone want to return to Windows."

Same for me, No one's would like to return to Win.
Their arguments are mainly :
- easy to use
- no updates taking hours and hours to apply
- no BSOD
- very fast to boot

LL 4.8 running on Dell Optiflex 760
LL 4.8 running on Asus X52J
LL 4.8 running on Toshiba Satellite C670-14W
LL 3.8 (32 bits) running on HP Pavilion
LL 5.0 running on Samsung RV515

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2021, 10:35:18 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Spread the love folks :)

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2021, 09:38:37 PM »

arky217

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Gold G5400

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 610

Hi LL folks.
Because I've used Linux Lite and think its definitely one of the best distros for newcomers from windows world, when I do mention Linux as an alternative for a sluggish windows installation, LL is always mentioned in my alternatives.
I'm a frequent user in the Toms Hardware forum, and not to seldom I see people complaining of poor performance from thir windows computers, and I try to read between lines to consider if this is a person that may be worth spending time trying to convince to switch to Linux.
Here is such a post at hardware forum:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-it-win-10-or-dell-slow-start-locks-up-etc.3680531/
The OP here is a person that I consider can be one that considering switching to Linux.

What I really want from this is - if you read the #5 (that's me) - and let me know if you think this is a good approach, can post like this improve somehow? I want to get better in advocate Linux to people.
I also - of course - have a pretty good feeling about what people are not receptive for talking about Linux, so I won't push it too hard either. Maybe I shouldn't mention that so much in the post mentioned?

Cheers

@Sprintrdriver,

I went to Tomshardware to see your post and could not help but to add my own post
extolling the virtues of Linux Lite.

If frustrated Windows users would only try Linux (especially Linux Lite),
I think it would not only put an end to their frustration but would also
save them from shelling out the money to buy a new computer.

Like I mentioned in my post there, I've installed LL on the computers of quite a
few friends and relatives and have yet had anyone want to return to Windows.

Advocating Linux to windows users - what to improve ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2021, 03:03:40 PM »

Sprintrdriver

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite on Dell Lattude D620
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 T5500

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express
Hi LL folks.
Because I've used Linux Lite and think its definitely one of the best distros for newcomers from windows world, when I do mention Linux as an alternative for a sluggish windows installation, LL is always mentioned in my alternatives.
I'm a frequent user in the Toms Hardware forum, and not to seldom I see people complaining of poor performance from thir windows computers, and I try to read between lines to consider if this is a person that may be worth spending time trying to convince to switch to Linux.
Here is such a post at hardware forum:https://forums.tomshardware.com/threads/is-it-win-10-or-dell-slow-start-locks-up-etc.3680531/
The OP here is a person that I consider can be one that considering switching to Linux.

What I really want from this is - if you read the #5 (that's me) - and let me know if you think this is a good approach, can post like this improve somehow? I want to get better in advocate Linux to people.
I also - of course - have a pretty good feeling about what people are not receptive for talking about Linux, so I won't push it too hard either. Maybe I shouldn't mention that so much in the post mentioned?

Cheers
I won't let an old, but fully functional computer die just because some company tell me that they won't make no more security updates to their OS. Thanks Linux :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section