You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Accessing "Read Only" Files in the File System

Author (Read 10424 times)

Re: Accessing "Read Only" Files in the File System
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2023, 06:17:51 PM »

UncleTom

• --
  • New to Forums
  • -
    • View Profile

• CPU: iMAC & Linux

• Kernel: 6.x
I just completed two un-successful, and three successful Linux/ubuntu installs, complete with all-files carryover, similar app installs, same browser, etc.
I had to enter the password for 'Authentication' 368 times ! ! ! what was your question ?       

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2023, 08:40:25 AM »

Ironhide

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

when I open a system file folder and I open it as administrator from the File drop down menu, going into Terminal it says, you are running in superuser mode, shouldn't it say that I am running in administrator role or root role? Aren't I limited by only superuser status or do I have all flexibility options as an admin / root with superuser?

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2023, 04:33:46 PM »

Ironhide

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Are the files on a plug-in media like a USB drive ?

-yes is this because I'm testing the distro off of a USB?

If the files are 'your' files, then you should have read write access, so again more details needed.

-do you mean 'your' files happens only after a full installation?

If the files aren't user files, then a typical user won't have write permission by default.
File permissions in linux are there for solid reasons, but there are many good articles if you want to read up.

-can I disable permissions restrictions permanently?

Search for something like "ubuntu file permissions explained"

I'm a very green newbie here, so while testing Zorin (eventhough it isn't LL but its still Ubuntu) apt.conf.d​ does it not give me access because I'm in test mode and it says I'm not an owner, but after installation I will have access to write files, I will be that owner after installation I assume? I wanted to attach a pic I took with my phone camera but there are too many limitations to do that here.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2023, 03:27:18 PM »

Ironhide

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

hello, thanks for answering, I wanted to get into some system files like - etc - apt - apt.conf.d​ for instance and I just figured it out that it was a simple option line in the drop down menu saying Sign on as Administrator which I thought I already was by default. I guess if I want to change anything I have to keep signing on as an admin to do it. I'm just learning Linux for the first time and comparing distros so I don't know what I'm really doing just yet. but thanks for returning a reply anyways.

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2023, 06:54:59 AM »

stevef

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4460

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• Kernel: 5.x
Are the files on a plug-in media like a USB drive ?
There are reports of drives being mounted as read only.
If this is the case, then more details needed.

If the files are 'your' files, then you should have read write access, so again more details needed.

If the files aren't user files, then a typical user won't have write permission by default.
File permissions in linux are there for solid reasons, but there are many good articles if you want to read up.

Search for something like "ubuntu file permissions explained"
clueless

Accessing "Read Only" Files in the File System
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2023, 01:38:25 PM »

Ironhide

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello, I just installed Linux Lite and I wanted to gain access to some files in the File System that says that they are "Read Only" but I would like to Write and Edit some, what setting do I need to change to do this?

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section