Hardware - Support > Network

Wireshark detected ongoin traffic on Linux lite clean installation, phonin home"

<< < (2/4) > >>

phili:

--- Quote from: trinidad on January 14, 2024, 09:49:24 AM ---Try a different mirror. By the way wireshark itself could be causing the connection depending on your actual location. Nothing is phoning home. Stop with the stupid meme.
--- Quote ---I dont understand
--- End quote ---
You're right you don't. The only thing you can honestly assume is that you're not going pull a TLD cruncher in a scan without a reason. Most likely location is the issue. Try a different mirror.

TC

--- End quote ---
Which meme are you talking about, and why youre using though words?, i thought this was a friendly forum in a friendly distro, you guys are doing an excelente job reflecting that to the community. Great job guys.

Hows wireshark connecting to canonical servers?, can you explain that?, i already mentioned that im not very knowleadgeable in connections stuff, but enough to know what is goin in and out, not much about what app or tcp crunch or all that terms that you comment without further explanation, if this a friendly forum one thinks that people respond with a trhoughly anwser, not dry words, and though words when a guy questions a little much that the rest.

Great stuff guys, good job.

trinidad:
Try a different mirror. By the way wireshark itself could be causing the connection depending on your actual location. Nothing is phoning home. Stop with the stupid meme.
--- Quote ---I dont understand
--- End quote ---
You're right you don't. The only thing you can honestly assume is that you're not going pull a TLD cruncher in a scan without a reason. Most likely location is the issue. Try a different mirror.

TC

phili:

--- Quote from: stevef on January 14, 2024, 02:25:47 AM ---
--- Quote ---What element of Linux lite is Ubuntu providing support?
--- End quote ---
This command will show the repositories.

--- Code: ---inxi -r
--- End code ---

--- Quote ---how were you so sure about that any Operating system has to be phonin home when is connected to the internet
--- End quote ---

Your original query asked for a way to stop ALL outgoing connections from the system.  There can be no outgoing connections if the Internet is not connected.  This would include outgoing telemetry if present, but nothing about telemetry should be inferred.

--- Quote ---Im trying to understand the online connections of the system
--- End quote ---
You have the tools to determine exactly what your system is doing.

--- End quote ---

My original post has a edited section(that i made in minutes after the post sended) clarifying that I wondered about the canonical one, and theres just two outgoing connections and i said that the ntp one is out of the question, you didnt read well. And even after all this answers you dont know about the canonical one, youre as clueless as me(for what it seems), yet you answer as if you know it perfectly, yet not claryfication at all. thanks for your dry words, and see ya, dont worry ill erase this post, i made it, only to know this thing, and as the purpose of that isnt made, im done with it, see ya.

stevef:

--- Quote ---What element of Linux lite is Ubuntu providing support?
--- End quote ---
This command will show the repositories.

--- Code: ---inxi -r
--- End code ---

--- Quote ---how were you so sure about that any Operating system has to be phonin home when is connected to the internet
--- End quote ---

Your original query asked for a way to stop ALL outgoing connections from the system.  There can be no outgoing connections if the Internet is not connected.  This would include outgoing telemetry if present, but nothing about telemetry should be inferred.

--- Quote ---Im trying to understand the online connections of the system
--- End quote ---
You have the tools to determine exactly what your system is doing.

phili:

--- Quote from: stevef on January 13, 2024, 04:13:39 PM ---
--- Quote ---So why debian and arch doesnt have a home server connection even when connected to the internet?
--- End quote ---
Someone who uses debian or arch may be able to help answer this.

--- Quote ---arent the linux lite updates filtered and provided by the linux lite mantainers?, why have to be connected directly from canonical?
--- End quote ---
Specific Linux Lite software is provided by Linux Lite.  Linux Lite is based on Ubuntu LTS so the canonical repositories provide support for that element of Linux Lite.

--- End quote ---

What element of Linux lite is Ubuntu providing support? If you dont know how debian and arch isnt phonin home to their respecting servers, how were you so sure about that any Operating system has to be phonin home when is connected to the internet, as your phrase "To stop all outgoing connections disconnect the system from the internet." infering and in the context of that.

Im trying to understand the online connections of the system, i like linux lite, it is stable and it just works, but i like to analyze when a system is making connections in order to know which level of privacy it has. I dont really hate even ubuntu, and i dont have any preffered linux distro, just wanted to know how things work in any given Linux distro or OS for that matter.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version