You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Ububtu WiFi card for OLD machine

Author (Read 8281 times)

Re: Ububtu WiFi card for OLD machine
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 09:34:42 PM »

busprof

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
It looks as though the ASUS wireless USB adapter you mentioned uses the Realtek RTL8188SU chipset.  The drivers *should* be in the mainline kernels, so it *should* work without any fiddling on your part required.  The driver is the r8192s_usb driver BTW, assuming my info is correct.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:04:33 PM »

Jim1938

I just bought a d-link card for my DIY PC.
It works very well and was cheap.
If you have the right kind of spare slot on your motherboard, then maybe this is your solution.
If you need speed, then a card is best.
But if speed is not important, then an USB adapter is easier to install.

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 08:55:44 PM »

XP Refugee

Hello Rob,

Thanks for your advice. To help me I've gone out and bought a Linux for Dummies manual 'cos that's about my level at the moment I think :'( . I am hoping, like your experience, that it will be auto-detected.

Hello Shaggytwodope,

Thanks for your advice. I've been checking the manual with the L/D manual so with a bit of luck I should be able to get there. Just got to go out and buy the card now, lol.

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 04:06:37 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Worst case scenario: It'll have a Broadcom BCM43xx chip on that card like my HP netbook and laptop do, meaning you MIGHT need bcmwl-kernel-source (or, for REALLY old machines, firmware-b43-installer or firmware b43-legacy-installer) from the repository. It's SUPPOSED to be non-free, but some distros go ahead and include these anyway.

The problem is, unless it's on the LiveCD (probably not, for the aforementioned reason), you'd need to hook up to a wired connection (or a wireless stick/card that IS detected by the kernel; Atheros and Intel come to mind), to go out and get it. Open a terminal, then enter the following line:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install bcmwl-kernel-source
For the REALLY OLD Broadcom adapters, this link helps:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2110447

Every other wireless dongle I've ever used was auto-detected - even my (!) Windows Mobile smartphone...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 04:44:16 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2014, 01:02:47 PM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
According to the site, they claim it works under linux. Now if its out of the box hard to tell. It may require some effort to install the proper driver. But most likely wont be so bad ^_^
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

Ububtu WiFi card for OLD machine
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 12:29:03 PM »

XP Refugee

Advice if you can please........................... I have an old Dell Inspiron 1000 comp, Celeron (R) CPU 2.20GHz, 448MB Ram, Mobile Intel(R), that I want to install Linux Lite on.The problem being that the Inspiron range does not have WiFi. I have been looking in Ebay & Amazon, Googling 'Ubuntu WiFi card' but I just get lost in all the tech stuff. I have managed to ascertain a 'Massive' (joke)chunk of info in that the card I require is an '802. 11b/g' model.

I was wondering if the Asus Usb-N10 USB Wireless Adapter might do the job? It seems to me to have the correct requirements but it is advertised by PC World as only being compatible with Ubuntu 9.04 (?).

Thanks for any advice you can give. 8)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section