You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Simple Home Networking

Author (Read 6959 times)

Re: Simple Home Networking
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2014, 02:47:55 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

TeamViewer may possibly be a solution for you to not only transfer files, but to pull off many other really neat tricks as well - like, for example, help you out from afar with things that have you stumped in real time, although that might flirt dangerously close with their definition of 'commercial use'.

As for myself, I used it recently to help a pal from several hundred klicks away to straighten out their Windows PC for them. I'll have to play around with it cross-platform, and get back to you...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 02:58:44 AM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:34:12 AM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• MEMORY: 256mb
Hi -- Thanks for the info -- I assume you were refering to ---- try NitroShare, a cross-platform network sharing application for Windows, Mac and Linux. You can view a video tutorial

I had a look at the video and it looks a good possibility . My other Netbook is getting repaired so I will have to try when I get it back.

Colin
I Learn something new Every Day !
An "example" is worth a 1000 words

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 02:19:41 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Thanks for the ideas I will give Samba a try.
To make things easier is it possible to use a script to store and implement  what I need to do .

I managed to get a network set up with WinXP and then with Win7 it was better but there was often an element of mystery and luck if it would work first time .

Colin

Take a look in the Help Manual under Network, Accessing you Windows Shares from Linux Lite, scroll to the bottom of that tutorial there is a link to a GUI way to do it.

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 07:21:24 PM »

anrke

If they are both connected to the internet, you could use BitTorrent Sync and then have access to the files even when away from home.

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2014, 05:18:04 PM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Looked at Samba  and decided it was too much a learning curve for me . . I think until a better way is found I will use a USB drive for the needs I have . Thanks to Valtam and  N4RPS

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 04:09:03 AM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks for the ideas I will give Samba a try.
To make things easier is it possible to use a script to store and implement  what I need to do .

I managed to get a network set up with WinXP and then with Win7 it was better but there was often an element of mystery and luck if it would work first time .

Colin

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2014, 09:36:54 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
I used this on 1.0.8:

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install system-config-samba
Seemed to work quite well, simple gui.

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2014, 07:12:43 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Due to the security structure of Linux, only so much can be done by way of a GUI. I haven't dug very deeply into it all yet, but it seems as if SOME GUI network support already exists in Thunar, the LL version of Windows Explorer.

With a LOT of work, I suppose Linux Lite could be rewritten to work, more or less, exactly the way Windows does. However, to do so would also open it up to some of the same security issues that all versions of Windows currently suffer from.

Even though Windows does it all through a GUI, permissions issues can make even setting up a Windows network tricky sometimes. That's why Windows came up with the Homegroup concept for Windows 7 and later - to somewhat simplify the process. In spite of this, I've found that homegroups seem to have limitations about just what can be shared, and I have issues here with certain of my PCs connecting properly that, by my own admission, I need to try to resolve.

I've very briefly glanced at the networking section of the LL user manual, and even though I don't run LL machines in a network environment on a continuous basis, I will take a shot at setting a mixed network up using LL to see if the procedures for doing so can't be made simpler. As Linux Lite continues to be enhanced, perhaps simplifying network setup somewhat is something that could be looked into...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 07:51:33 PM by N4RPS »

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

Simple Home Networking
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 08:09:29 AM »

Colin23erk

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have 2 laptops that connect via a wireless router to the internet that I would like to connect together in a network to move files etc between the laptops

Looking on the net there appears to be no  way in Linux to do it  via a GUI (aka Win7 ).

If Linux Lite is to replace Microsoft it needs a simple  Home Networking capability for people who just want it work with the minimum of knowlege

Colin

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section