You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Problem reading NAS files

Author (Read 3114 times)

Re: Problem reading NSA files
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2014, 02:06:30 PM »

Richard B

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Try installing libreoffice-gnome - it worked for me and Jerry (Valtam) intends to include it in the next release. Bug report 36 refers.
Desktop: Running LL5 on second HD in ACEPC model MK1: "Mini PC 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Windows 10 Celeron J3455 Processor Mini Computer Dual HDMI, Support mSATA / 2.5 inches SSD/HDD 4K, Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0". Don't normally use the supplied W10. Also use LL on netbook (Using xrandr to "expand" the screen) and various old laptops. NAS drive and web server hosted by Raspberry Pi's.

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2014, 10:58:04 AM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
Hello Thicksilver,

I don't have personal experience with NAS devices but I might be able to point you in the right direction, at least until something better comes along.

Here's a link to a Linux Mint post with the title - How to Access my NAS (d-link 343) <SOLVED>. The date on the post is March, 2012 so keep that in mind.
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=97954&f=157

Googling phrases like:
linux access nas
linux d-link 343
linux dns-343
resulted in many hits.

It probably won't translate directly but how about the network shares section in the LL Manual?
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/index.html
Manual > Network (at top of page) > Network Shares
Manual > Network (at top of page) > Accessing you Linux Lite Shares from Windows
Manual > Network (at top of page) > Accessing you Windows Shares from Linux Lite

~Scott

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2014, 05:59:25 AM »

Richard B

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• Kernel: 5.x
Hello from another old guy (see my intro posting today). I confirm the problem opening LibreOffice files from network attached storage (NAS) and have posted a bug report on https://www.linuxliteos.com/bugs/ - though I think the problem may be "upstream" - in recent updates to Ubuntu perhaps.
Desktop: Running LL5 on second HD in ACEPC model MK1: "Mini PC 4GB RAM 64GB ROM Windows 10 Celeron J3455 Processor Mini Computer Dual HDMI, Support mSATA / 2.5 inches SSD/HDD 4K, Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Ethernet, USB 3.0". Don't normally use the supplied W10. Also use LL on netbook (Using xrandr to "expand" the screen) and various old laptops. NAS drive and web server hosted by Raspberry Pi's.

Problem reading NAS files
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2014, 02:28:46 PM »

Thicksilver

Hi All

A pleasure to meet you.

Never been on a forum before and my linux/unix experience stretches all the way back to yesterday so sorry if I am having trouble with the blindingly obvious. I'm also an old guy and the the jargon and TLAS'a are a bit of a stretch at times so I crave your collective indulgence. I've been back throgh the archive for the last year with no similar problems which gives me some confidence I am just missing something simple (who said a brain?) which smarter people just fix.

To horse so to speak. I loaded Linux Lite yesterday onto an old Samsung N140 notebooke after speaking to the village evangelist (for LL) and it was a breeze. Much faster than W7 for start-up, the internet and all the things you already know better than me.

I keep all my data on a D-Link 323 NSA (Raid 1)so I hooked up following the instructions on the site. No problem so far. In use the device is recognised and I can access the NSA and navigate the file structure.

If I try to load a JPG by clicking on it or opening using using image viewer I get no error message but also no picture. If I do the same using GIMP I can see the thumbnail but get an error message which tells me that the folder and file don't exist and the thumbnail is out of date. If I navigate to the same picture from within image viewer I can view it. No joy with GIMP though. With documents I can't get anywhere. Libreoffice loads and then vanishes whichever way I come at it. Most of the documents, some .odt some .doc were created using open office. I copied a document to the laptop and Libreoffice opened it fine. I have had some limited joy with PDF's. Sorry about the bad language but my Windows computers access all of the files with no trouble so it is not a data corruption problem.

I would really appreciate a nudge in the right direction.

Sorry to a be a bit long winded but we wrinklies never know when to stop....

« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 09:45:54 PM by Valtam »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section