You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

post update wifi connection quirks

Author (Read 3915 times)

Re: post update wifi connection quirks
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2021, 11:16:43 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Well I've been looking into this and apparently Ubuntu is in the process of solving it though they are sure cluttering up the file system. Again with my LL 5.x machines one on hard disk the other a VM the problem continues. When the user reboots after an update the WIFI does not reconnect. You have to choose shut down and then restart your computer after a complete shutdown. I would fix it but I honestly don't know where to add the ONBoot para. IS it netplan? Somewhere in the YAML file, or SBIN python file or what? Is it a simple systemd thing? Could add to grub? or add to startup? Is there an Ubuntu bug report somewhere on it?

TC 
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

post update wifi connection quirks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2021, 02:28:35 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
I recently noticed a quirk with post update wifi connections which I believe is connected to timeshift and I think some users are attempting to solve it via network settings which have nothing to do with the quirk. I have three/four different LL 5.x installations and only one exhibits the loss of and inability to re-connect to a saved wifi connection after rebooting after updates and it is the one where timeshift is auto-scheduled. I don't use timeshift at all on the others. Also none of my connections are set to auto-connect. The quirk exhibits itself in the following ways:
The user runs updates normally and reboots the machine. The user selects the previous wifi connection that worked before and attempts to connect. The connection fails and after failing is no longer displayed in nm's connection list. Logging out and back in again does not make it reappear in the list. Editing the connection manually and saving it has no effect. All that works, I have discovered after experimenting a bit, is to log out to the login screen and then select shutdown and shut down the system. When booting again all will be normal. I do believe this is related to timeshift auto-scheduling usage and maybe a case where normal reboot code and systemd network management settings are not allowed to reset because of timeshift. As I have explained, logging out and shutting the system down after a normal update reboot alleviates the quirk.
TC   

All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section