You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Not detecting Wireless Adapter on Dell Dimension 2400

Author (Read 6796 times)

Re: Not detecting Wireless Adapter on Dell Dimension 2400
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 02:00:05 PM »

Rocky

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.20 Hz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ?
I found this site http://www.linux-drivers.org. Clicked on Network & Internet, then on Linux wireless LAN support. In the "Choose the Interface" drop down, selected USB then clicked on show. which brings up a list of USB wireless devices and whether they are supported by Linux, as well as other data. Found my TP-Link TL-WN725N listed as "Some are suppoted" with the following link https://github.com/rtl8188eu.
Apparently this a developers page to get this wireless device working in Linux. As you will see the instructions are unclear for newbies. Can anyone guide me through this?  Example, what are "Make", "Installer" and "Kernal header"?
How does one use "Make all" and how, if needed, do you copy a file into firmware?
(In case anyone is wondering, my posts here are via my Win 10 PC. I do now have internet connection for Linux Lite on my Dimension PC but only via a patch cat 6 cable which can only be temporary, at 50 feet long and a trip hazard across three doorways!)
TIA for any help.
Cheers!

Not detecting Wireless Adapter on Dell Dimension 2400
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 08:27:50 PM »

Rocky

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Pentium 4 2.20 Hz

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ?
Hello! I'm going nuts trying to get a WiFi connection for Linux Lite 3.8

I am a total newbie to Linux. Just sent XP out to pasture and wish to replace it with Linix.
Tried Zorin, Q4OS, and now LL 3.8.
Please understand, my previous experience with solving PC issues has been limited to Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and best of all, Restore Image via Macrium Reflect. These have all served me very well and I never ran into a problem I could not fix with these tools (including, but rarely, RUN Commands).
I am seeing a lot of wireless connection problems with Linux and in almost every case, involve Terminal command entries totally Greek to me.
I have a Nano USB Adapter TL-WN725N from TP-Link, and has always worked flawlessly in XP on ,my Dell Dimension 2400.
My internet service is with Comcast via their Gateway Modem.
My ethernet controller is a Broadcom Corp. BCM4401 100 Base-T (1404:4401) (Rev o21), Subsystem Dell Dimension 2400 [1028:8127]. Kernel Driver in use - b44.
Whether this info is relevant or not, I have no idea, but found it following 'Lspci -knn | grep -EiA2 net' command i saw for a fix for a similar problem with a laptop.
Linux Lite has not detected my adapter, nor does it appear anywhere in System Information information about your hardware.
This same problem also happened with Zorin. In Q4OS, the adapter was detected but would not connect to the internet despite excellent support help from the Q4OS team and several user/contributors.
Keeping in mind my neophyte level of experience with this problem and Linux in general, is there anyone here who can help?
Thank you reading this post. I am eager to find someone who can guide me to a solution.
Sincerely
« Last Edit: March 21, 2018, 02:57:43 AM by Rocky »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section