You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Not able to get onto the Web...

Author (Read 4950 times)

Re: Not able to get onto the Web...
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2016, 08:24:43 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Great you got it sorted. Well done! :)

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2016, 08:15:46 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core 2 duo

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: onboard VGA support

What the problem turned out to be was in his network settings he had his wired connection set to local, as soon as he chose DHCP he was able to get online !

Sorry for the delay in getting an update posted and thanks a bunch for your replies !

glin22

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 09:29:01 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
You have to select edit connections in network manager. Click on the exclamation point in the system tray to bring up the menu. Look for wired connections. If it's not there your ethernet card is not working. If it is there click edit and enter the password for it and save. It won't connect until you save the password.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2016, 01:01:59 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi Glin22,

Sure he needs a DSL modem to use the service. The question is the setup.

Get as much information as possible while you're at his house. For example also, whether he really uses a router respectively how many computers are connected to the internet (at the same time).

specifically:
  • DSL modem setup (if he has a separate one)
  • router setup (which might actually include the DSL modem)
  • check his Windows network settings, how is Windows system is connected
I'd assume he doesn't have internet access at all on his Linux system. You could run the following commands in a terminal (Ctr+Alt+t):
Code: [Select]
ifconfig -a
to check whether the network card got configured/ the system obtained an IP address.

Code: [Select]
ping google.com
to test whether he can reach Google or just gets a time out.

I'd prefer to narrow it down in an iterative process, otherwise I could write a book here with a myriad of IF ... THEN cases :)

Good luck :)

PS: No need to tweak the Linux Lite setup till you know more about his network setup.

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2016, 11:36:54 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks LL for your reply,

First of all, I also got a reply back from the ISP he uses, I wrote them about the problem and they told me directly that he will be able to use Linux, this is a good start.

He can boot up LL2.8, he starts up Firefox, then when he tried to type something into the address field, all he gets is a page unavailable, he can't do any searching either.

The computer is connect via Ethernet cable to a DSL modem, no proxy server.

I think the DSL dial-up is configured via DSL modem/router. Do you think there are some settings in the modem/router that are off ? I wish I could give you more info but it's been a while since I was over his house so I don't remember things clearly. I talked with this friend tonight, he's going to have another go at this, I told him to check out and see if there was anything that looked strange in his network settings.

I was looking into the network settings on my own LL2.8, I thought I might be able to see something to check out, but nothing stood out.

If I get any further info from him, I will post an update.

Glin22

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016, 09:57:06 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hi glin22,

For a start:

"Linux works fine" - Does that mean he/you can update the system without problems?
"A connect is happening" - Any chance to describe in more detail what he's observing?

How is the computer connected to the internet?
- via cable or WiFi?
- via router or directly to DSL modem?
- via proxy server?

How is the DSL dial-up configured?
- within Windows or via DSL modem/router?

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016, 09:42:08 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Moved to Networking Section.

Not able to get onto the Web...
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 09:10:34 PM »

glin22

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hi,

I have a friend who's got a Windows box and have been trying to get him off of that. I installed 32 bit LL2.8 on a different drive from his Windows install but he's not able to get onto the Web using Linux. He tells me it shows a connect is happening but when he does a search or tries to access a website in Firefox, nothing comes up. Linux works fine, it is just he cannot use the web or do a search.

The other thing is that he's on a DSL connection and it's been a while since I dealt with that, I am not sure what I should be telling him to check out. Shouldn't my friend be able to get onto the Web since DSL is always active ? I forgot if there is some kind of special script that needs to be done.

I know this is not the best explanation of his problem but if you have any suggestions of what to check out/look for, that would be most helpful.

Thanks,

glin22
« Last Edit: September 24, 2016, 08:17:50 PM by glin22 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section