Hardware - Support > Network

No network device after latest update

(1/3) > >>

jacmoe:
I thought that was the right solution, but I found that I had to fix it after each successive update.

So I simply went into the package manager and selected everything with "5.8.0" in the name and completely uninstalled all the packages.

I have been through countless updates since I did that, and it works :)

If you don't remove all and everything related to that kernel, it will haunt your installation upon each update.

leillo1975:

--- Quote from: jacmoe on January 14, 2021, 09:17:55 AM ---
EDIT with the solution :

I ran
--- Code: ---sudo apt clean && sudo apt install --reinstall linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-38-generic
--- End code ---
and the network device worked in 5.8.0-38 after a reboot, hurray! :D

--- End quote ---

Thanks a lot for the solution, I have about 50 computers with the same problem after updating it yesterday. I thought I would have to reinstall everything again with Clonezilla server and configure them again.

jacmoe:
If you are booting using Grub - and why would you not? then catch it before it times out, choose Advanced Options and choose Linux 5.4 instead.

If it's the same issue, you should have a working network using that kernel :)

Try and run
--- Code: ---lshw -c network
--- End code ---
under both kernels.

Kevin Perez:
I seem to be dealing with a similar issue, except my computer does not have Windows on it. Hopefully, it is okay with you for me to mention the problem here.  I just ran

--- Code: ---cat /proc/version
--- End code ---
This told me the version installed on my computer is:
Linux version 5.8.0-36-generic (buildd@lgw01-amd64-027) (gcc (Ubuntu 9.3.0-17ubuntu1~20.04)  9.3.0, GNU ld (GNU Binutils for Ubuntu) 2.34) #40~20.04.1-Ubuntu SMP Wed Jan 6 10:15:55 UTC 2021.

What version of Linux Lite do I need to download onto a flash drive so I may finally have a working Wi-Fi signal?
-Kevin

jacmoe:
I just want to make totally clear that the Install Updates script did this, and not me.

It's not a big deal, though.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version