You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

No network after installing kernel

Author (Read 16999 times)

Re: No network after installing kernel
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2018, 04:52:20 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Apparently it's not mapped correctly to the OS then. The key you are speaking of is a gadget/macro type key which means it's not a real key just a command like fn+F2. Did you try fn+F2? You can try setting your LL system to autologin first, and then disabling or enabling numbers lock in the BIOS. (one way or the other eliminates the need for fn in a gadget key) Otherwise you could look for a Linux keyboard map for your device. You can kill the key control from root in safe mode and enable WIFI always since the drivers are there, but I'd have to go look up the way to do that in Ubuntu myself.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2018, 04:49:34 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2018, 04:15:39 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron430 1.73 GHz

• MEMORY: 1Gb

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon RC4 10M
You have a hardware switch. It's there somewhere. Probably in the PCI page of the BIOS. You may have to tab down to it not arrow.
My laptop uses PhoenixBIOS Setup Utility this gives me 6 tabs (Info./Main/Advanced/Security/Boot/Exit) So you would expect this one to be in 'Advanced"  but this gives me only 4 options and to de- or enabled them
Just for now, until you find it, after the lap boots to LL try fn+F2  and see if WIFI starts.

TC

This laptop (Easynote) has a wifi-indicator above the keyboard. on or off doesn't make any difference
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 04:25:37 PM by CSNLinux »
Packard Bell Easynote MZ35, 32 bits

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2018, 04:03:19 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

You have a hardware switch. It's there somewhere. Probably in the PCI page of the BIOS. You may have to tab down to it not arrow. Just for now, until you find it, after the lap boots to LL try fn+F2  and see if WIFI starts.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2018, 03:48:43 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

Well apparently you have a hardware switch for WIFI. Look in the BIOS for the enable keys. Probably fn/+something else.

The BIOS on my laptop gives me very little possibilities to use or alter

*Also why in the world you would pick kernel 4.12 instead of 4.13 I can't imagine. 4.13 is the current hwe kernel for Ubuntu LTS.

TC

Ah well, the most experienced user also had to start by making mistake after mistake.
That's how we learn

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2018, 03:22:03 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

Well apparently you have a hardware switch for WIFI. Look in the BIOS for the enable keys. Probably fn/+something else.

*Also why in the world you would pick kernel 4.12 instead of 4.13 I can't imagine. 4.13 is the current hwe kernel for Ubuntu LTS.

TC
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:34:32 PM by trinidad »

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2018, 03:03:35 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

... he downloaded the original kernel and headers version as a .deb file...

Hmm, I never tried downloading without a Network Connection. ???

Thanx anyway :D

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2018, 02:52:45 PM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 920

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon RX580
You could try what the guy on the Bodhi forum did, he downloaded the original kernel and headers version as a .deb file then installed it that way. I don't know what else to suggest, maybe Jerry or someone with more knowledge on it will come up with something.

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2018, 02:50:09 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

You might want to try this.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/902992/ubuntu-gnome-17-04-wi-fi-not-working-mac-address-keeps-changing/905019#905019

TC

Thanx for the help but this didn't work for me after the restart request I got
Code: [Select]
Job for NetworkManager.service failed because the control process exited with error code.
  See "systemctl status NetworkManager.service" and "journalctl -xe" for details.
To be honest, I don't even know how to see these or even what to do with them if I could.

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2018, 02:28:45 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

Had a quick look around and on the Bodhi forum the guy still had Ethernet but no wireless so got around it by installing the older kernel again.
I also found this on a Google search: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/problem-with-updating-kernel-eth0-now-missing
Going by that, it seems it's not just an Ubuntu problem but something new in the latest kernels that is naming things wrong in some config files. May be worth your time to have a read and see if you are in a similar situation.

I read it and tried some options, but most of them resulted in nothing or a failure message. The article also tells something about
'dmesg'This gave me a text result as large as the Holy Book itself and tells me, i guess, something about the hardware installed and the used drivers etc. for those. But, surprisingly, I couldn't find me ethernet and wifi card here.
But when I travel to System>System Information> PCI Devices both my Ethernet and Network controller are shown.

I'm really trying to get my head around all of this, but I need some help

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2018, 01:18:21 PM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Had a quick look around and on the Bodhi forum the guy still had Ethernet but no wireless so got around it by installing the older kernel again.
I also found this on a Google search: https://www.digitalocean.com/community/questions/problem-with-updating-kernel-eth0-now-missing
Going by that, it seems it's not just an Ubuntu problem but something new in the latest kernels that is naming things wrong in some config files. May be worth your time to have a read and see if you are in a similar situation.

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2018, 12:54:33 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

Can't help with the problem I'm afraid but this is happening to other distros based on Ubuntu too. There is a thread about it on the Bodhi Linux forum, wouldn't surprise me if there was on other forums too.
As well as help from the good folk here take a look on the Ubuntu and Bodhi forums to see if anyone has come up with a solution. It's all relevant as they all use the same kernel as Linux Lite.

Thanx for trying to help and being honest!

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2018, 12:45:40 PM »

ptyerman

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Can't help with the problem I'm afraid but this is happening to other distros based on Ubuntu too. There is a thread about it on the Bodhi Linux forum, wouldn't surprise me if there was on other forums too.
As well as help from the good folk here take a look on the Ubuntu and Bodhi forums to see if anyone has come up with a solution. It's all relevant as they all use the same kernel as Linux Lite.

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2018, 12:00:48 PM »

CSNLinux

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Setler
    • View Profile

Start of with the basics. What is the output of each of these commands:

inxi -n

sudo lshw -C network

rfkill list

It's a bit more work now, making screenshot, put on usb, stick usb into desktop, upload the images, linking image to post.

Well, it's for the good and keeps me working

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section