You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Need help with Networking Linux Lite & Windows 10

Author (Read 7389 times)

Re: Need help with Networking Linux Lite & Windows 10
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 09:47:52 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
@kefir81
Unless there is a language barrier you should find everything you need to learn about SSH (which is available for your version of Windows), Samba, RDP & VNC networking with Linux Lite and Windows 10 at the sites below:

https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/
https://www.dbts-analytics.com/cruzana.html

Some of my tutorials are downloadable which means you can read them offline in your browser. Read up and dive in.

TC
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 09:50:13 AM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2020, 02:08:02 AM »

kefir81

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHz
Thanks
ohjrson

I've got that updated (I didn't even notice that happened to be subject/title line.

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 12:52:38 AM »

ohjrson

• I know enough to get into trouble
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Quad core

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: internal

• Kernel: 6.x
You should probably edit the name of the post and remove the "abandoned" part if you can. Otherwise it will be ignored.

I would give my 2 cents but I don't know what your doing... Sorry.

Good luck.
LL 6.6 Dell Power Edge T310 Quad core 32g
LL 6.6 Acer E5-722-49HD A4-7210 Quad core
LL 6.6 Acer AX3812-E9502 intel Quad core
LL 6.2 Dell Optiplex 755 intel Core 2 duo
LL 3.8 Acer Aspire 3000 AMD processor
Simple, Fast, Efficient, Free, and Beats Windows all to hell.

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2020, 06:51:25 PM »

kefir81

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello trinidad.

It's been a few years and I hope you're still around.  I never resolved the issue so I'm now even more rusty on my level of experience with Linux and integrating it for home networking. So, hope you can help as I've been missing in action.

Here's some information about both systems:

Windows 10:
 Windows 10 Pro
Version 2004
OS build 19041.572
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.31.0
User Kefir Israel

Computer Name is Desktop -  1SS
Workgroup is WORKGROUP

Linux:
Processor : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.66GHzMemory : 1021MB (730MB used)Operating System : Linux Lite 3.2Date/Time : Thu 08 Oct 2020 02:42:06 AM PDT-Display-Resolution : 1920x1080 pixelsOpenGL Renderer : Mesa DRI Intel(R) 865G x86/MMX/SSE2X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation-Multimedia-Audio Adapter : ICH4 - Intel ICH5

Kefir Aviel Ben Israel

I know how to add additional user names to both systems if needed.

I'd like to use the Linux system as the main hub attaching printer and additional portable hard drives to be continually on for my home network to be accessed by the Windows 10 PC, mobile devices, possibly a Windows 10 laptop, and eventually remotely when I become that savvy. Let me know if you need any information.

I'm not sure of your level of experience, but guessing from your post you seem a little lost. I can walk you through most anything having to do with Linux to Windows 10 power networking but you will have to be more specific about several things. I suspect Windows 10 is not properly setup for your share specifics. I may need Windows 10 version, build numbers if you know how to find them, and several other specifics, users, etc. and the purpose for your sharing, specifically group or full file administrative privileges, or other intermediary server IPs. Also note that Windows 10 Home Edition is not particularly intuitive about setting up file sharing to Linux, and several specifics can be glitchy. Read through my tutorials on Windows 10 networking on this forum for help. You may message me privately if you wish, but please be specific about your networking needs and the systems involved. Linux Lite networks very powerfully with Windows 10 and can do most anything you can imagine.

TC
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 06:54:03 PM by kefir81 »

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 12:44:37 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

Allowed attachment types:

Allowed file types: txt, log, cfg, conf, err, zip, tar.gz, bz2, tar.bz2, tbz2, tgz
Restrictions: 4 per post, maximum total size 500KB, maximum individual size 500KB

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 12:09:15 AM »

kefir81

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks trinidad for responding.  Are you able to receive emails because when I tried to attach file of both my systems information I was unable to upload? 
« Last Edit: January 17, 2017, 12:18:41 AM by kefir81 »

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2017, 02:20:04 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

I'm not sure of your level of experience, but guessing from your post you seem a little lost. I can walk you through most anything having to do with Linux to Windows 10 power networking but you will have to be more specific about several things. I suspect Windows 10 is not properly setup for your share specifics. I may need Windows 10 version, build numbers if you know how to find them, and several other specifics, users, etc. and the purpose for your sharing, specifically group or full file administrative privileges, or other intermediary server IPs. Also note that Windows 10 Home Edition is not particularly intuitive about setting up file sharing to Linux, and several specifics can be glitchy. Read through my tutorials on Windows 10 networking on this forum for help. You may message me privately if you wish, but please be specific about your networking needs and the systems involved. Linux Lite networks very powerfully with Windows 10 and can do most anything you can imagine.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Need help with Networking Linux Lite & Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 07:58:48 AM »

kefir81

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Hello all,

I followed https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/network.html , but sadly unsuccessful. 

One error message I received after the terminal command ... sudo leafpad /etc/samba/smbusers :

(leafpad:3782): IBUS-WARNING **: The owner of /home/kefir81/.config/ibus/bus is not root!

However, when I do the smb:// <ipaddress> I do see the folder that I've shared on Windows 10.  But using both the credentials for the user on Linux as well as Windows (group network) I get an failed message (attempt to attach).  By the way, how do include screenshots without going through a third party/coding?

I've even tried the NistroShare (which the Windows 10 recognizes the device name here on Linux, but Linux doesn't see Windows 10).

On Windows 10, Linux does appear on the Network, but not as the same name as the device.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 02:06:52 AM by kefir81 »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section