Hardware - Support > Network

I need help with samba

<< < (3/4) > >>

Phobos84:
I followed step 6 and restarted samba.  I don't understand step 8.  The # List all shares:
      smbclient -L //<HOST_IP_OR_NAME>/<folder_name> -U <user>.  I don't know how to change this line to make it fit my application.  What do I put in for host, folder name, and user?

bitsnpcs:
I haven't used Samba so I am not sure either, I am looking around online for likely things to try.

On this link have a look at the step number 6 restart Samba (did you do this after changing the directory name ? plus it was for the previous machine.)

--- Code: ---sudo service smbd restart
--- End code ---

and number 8, compare the method of #8 to how you set up the network to see if this area is also good.
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/How%20to%20Create%20a%20Network%20Share%20Via%20Samba%20Via%20CLI%20%28Command-line%20interface/Linux%20Terminal%29%20-%20Uncomplicated%2C%20Simple%20and%20Brief%20Way%21

Another thing I thought maybe is to check if you have made a rule in UFW to allow Samba, you will have had that on the previous machine, and if it was not added as a rule on the new machine, then it would deny incoming connections.

As I have said I am not familiar with Samba, the conf file looks odd to me it seems to contradict itself.
It says map guests as a bad user in global settings.
But it says %G are valid users in server settings.
It could be Samba needs to define the guest so it can map it as a bad user, it would seem more that if it is not a valid user then it doesnt need to be mapped as a bad user.
Or it can not be in the valid user group and do map guests as a bad user, in case guests try to access it.
Otherwise they look like it could conflict, or at the least slow the code down.
Its just an idea.

Phobos84:
The thing that bugs me the most about this is I used the same settings from the old smb.conf file.  I just changed the directory name to match the new computer.  It worked like a charm last time but this time nothing.  I would love to see a better way to do this.  I really don't like dealing with samba.

Phobos84:
Ok this is what it came back with

--- Code: ---chad2  ~  testparm
Load smb config files from /etc/samba/smb.conf
rlimit_max: increasing rlimit_max (1024) to minimum Windows limit (16384)
Processing section "[Server]"
Loaded services file OK.
Server role: ROLE_STANDALONE

Press enter to see a dump of your service definitions

# Global parameters
[global]
dns proxy = No
map to guest = Bad User
security = USER
server string = Linux Lite Shares
username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
idmap config * : backend = tdb

[Server]
guest ok = Yes
locking = No
path = /media/chad2/backup/shares
printable = Yes
read only = No
strict locking = No
valid users = %U %G
write list = %U
 chad2  ~  

--- End code ---

I don't know what any of this means

bitsnpcs:
Hello Phobos84,

https://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/SMB-HOWTO-6.html 
"You can test the correctness of a smb.conf file , using the 'testparm' utility (man page: testparm); if testparm reports no problems, smbd will correctly load the configuration file."

Does testparm utility report any problems, or using it enabled you to solve it ? 

There are some samples of conf here, it may help notice a difference
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Setting_up_Samba_as_a_Standalone_Server

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version