Hardware - Support > Network

How to edit /etc/fstab to mount a windowsshare permanent

<< < (2/2)

Moltke:

--- Quote from: llmojo on April 20, 2021, 04:03:29 PM ---Hello everyone

On my windows10-PC with virtualbox and LinuxLite5.4.

--- End quote ---

There's something I don't understand, is Windows 10 a VM? Is Linux Lite a VM? Which is which? Are you dual-booting Win10-Linux Lite? I ask because the link clearly states that
--- Quote ---The shares might be hosted on a Windows computer/server, or on a Linux/UNIX server running Samba.
--- End quote ---
Meaning there have to be two computers for this to work or one must be a VM which is always running.

--- Quote ---I've created a share on windows. Now i try to follow the instruction at this link
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently. In Linuxlite the entire samba package is installed.
So i've created a mountpoint /media/win_share, a credentials-file /homelinuxlite/.smbcredentials with username, password and domain and edit /ect/fstab.

--- End quote ---

I think using /etc/samba/smb.conf let you do this, unless you're trying to do something special here.

--- Quote ---the entry in /etc/fstab looks like this right now:

--- Code: ---//xxx.xxx.xx.x/win_share /media/win_share cifs credentials=/home/linuxlite/.smbcredentials,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0700,file_mode=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
--- End code ---

a. Does th options have an order? or are they random?

the win_share appears on the desktop but unmounted. when i click on it i got an error massage

--- Quote ---mount: /media/win_share:this operation can be excuted by user root
--- End quote ---

b. where is my failure ?

ps:I am new to Linux and thank you for your help

--- End quote ---

You need to either become root or use sudo to mount the drive
--- Code: ---sudo mount /media/win_share
--- End code ---

llmojo:
Hello everyone

On my windows10-PC with virtualbox and LinuxLite5.4. I've created a share on windows. Now i try to follow the instruction at this link
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MountWindowsSharesPermanently. In Linuxlite the entire samba package is installed.
So i've created a mountpoint /media/win_share, a credentials-file /homelinuxlite/.smbcredentials with username, password and domain and edit /ect/fstab.

the entry in /etc/fstab looks like this right now:

--- Code: ---//xxx.xxx.xx.x/win_share /media/win_share cifs credentials=/home/linuxlite/.smbcredentials,noauto,uid=1000,gid=1000,dir_mode=0700,file_mode=1000,iocharset=utf8,sec=ntlm 0 0
--- End code ---

a. Does th options have an order? or are they random?

the win_share appears on the desktop but unmounted. when i click on it i got an error massage

--- Quote ---mount: /media/win_share:this operation can be excuted by user root
--- End quote ---

b. where is my failure ?

ps:I am new to Linux and thank you for your help

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version