You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Help installing driver for Netgear wirless usb adapter

Author (Read 28241 times)

Re: Help installing driver for Netgear wirless usb adapter
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2014, 10:46:31 AM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
OK, thanks Rob. Still have not made a decision on an adapter yet. Still in research mode, but I'll report back here if I try something that actually works.

« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2014, 05:59:51 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

Scratch what I said about LinSSID. Something Canonical did to the 14.04 kernel has broken it...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2014, 10:03:29 PM »

AndyOpie150

It should. I like the micro version because it's less obtrusive. I got mine at Staples but I know BestBuy has them as well.

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2014, 03:48:49 PM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
What about the Belkin N300 micro? Works great and is capable of WPA2 security. Unless your running short on USB ports.
Mine connects up with every distro I have tried. No extra effort involved, it just works.

I might try a usb device again. I've just had such bad luck with the first 2 I tried I had all but swore off on them. I haven't tried Belkin yet so I may give that a shot. I'm trying to get something from my local store, I wonder if this Belkin N300 would work? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/belkin-n300-wireless-n-usb-adapter/2089219.p?id=1218308705040&skuId=2089219&st=categoryid$abcat0503007&cp=1&lp=5

« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2014, 02:09:34 PM »

AndyOpie150

What about the Belkin N300 micro? Works great and is capable of WPA2 security. Unless your running short on USB ports.
Mine connects up with every distro I have tried. No extra effort involved, it just works.

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2014, 09:58:08 AM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2014, 11:10:22 PM »

AndyOpie150

Try opening up a terminal and typing in:
Code: [Select]
sudo su
echo ndiswrapper >> /etc/modules
exit
Reboot you computer.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2014, 08:48:10 AM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hey Rob, I tried a little experiment yesterday afternoon and it seems as though when I have a few tabs open, or streaming a YouTube video for a few minutes, that's when it cuts out. I wonder if there is an adjustment I need to make somewhere. I will follow your advise. Thanks again.
Mike
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 09:04:16 AM by Miker107 »

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2014, 03:05:41 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

When you get a replacement dongle,  you may want to do some checking online first to find out which ones work the best with Linux.

You may also want to install LinSSID. This will give you a picture of the wireless environment around you, which will also allow you to pick the channel to use with your wireless router that will work the best for you...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 09:30:15 AM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Although connection has been established, I have been experiencing problems with this adapter. After a few minutes of being online, I will suddenly lose connectivity, even though the status shows connected, and the bars show I'm receiving signal, I still can't access the web. I will be returning this adapter and replacing it with another.

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2014, 07:40:43 AM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Hello!

I'm glad you finally got it to work for you. If you could describe what you had to do in detail, it could perhaps help the next person who comes along with a similar issue...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

Excellent Rob, you are so right, I'm at work now, but when I get home this afternoon I will come back in to this post and give that information. I'll be back later today.

Ok guys I'm back, so here it is in a nutshell, I'll try to be concise here. It was very quick and only took a couple of minutes, so here are the steps I took:

1. Downloaded the drivers from the link provided by Departure in his post above (Thanks again Departure). Here is the link again just in case: http://av3ngr.wikispaces.com/file/view/0846_9011.tar.gz  I left them in my downloads folder by default, I was too much in a rush to create one in my home folder. Impatient I guess.

2. Open the terminal and type the following command, then hit enter to install the ndiswrapper package: sudo apt-get install ndisgtk This will install everything needed for ndiswrapper to run.

3. Open ndiswrapper by clicking on Menu/System/Windows Wireless Drivers. This will open the tool that will install the driver. Click on the "Install New Driver" tab and browse to your folder where the driver is located. Select the 32bit or 64bit driver depending upon your system architecture, and click on the "Install" tab. This took only a second or two, it was installed quickly without any problems.

4. At this point, although the driver was installed, my device was not plugged in yet, so the status in the window read, Hardware present: No. So I plugged it in once and I noticed the yellow indicator light on my adapter didn't come on, so I removed it and plugged it in a second time. Not only did the light come on, I noticed my wired connection symbol on the panel in the bottom right corner suddenly change from a wired symbol to wireless symbol. I clicked on it and there were my list of networks to choose from.

5. I selected my router from the list, typed in the password to my router and there you have it, connection established.

That was it, worked like a charm, hope this helps someone.

Mike

« Last Edit: June 06, 2014, 05:58:45 PM by Miker107 »

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2014, 04:04:56 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

I'm glad you finally got it to work for you. If you could describe what you had to do in detail, it could perhaps help the next person who comes along with a similar issue...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2014, 09:51:55 PM »

Miker107

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have both WNDA3100 and a WNDA4100, the WNDA4100 only needs new kernel to work correctly I think it was kernel 3.12 or 3.13 and should work out of the box, the WNDA3100 you need to use the wrapper in linux with the windows XP driver .ini file for WNDA3100 making sure you use the correct architecture e.g 32bit or 64bit drivers needs to be the same on your linux system, There is also a firmware and driver called "ar9170" but has since been merged with "carl9170" if you decide the wrapper isn't working for you then take a look here http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170  the driver already comes with linux kernel 2.6 and higher, but you will need to install the carl9170 firmware to get your device working

//Edit
I just realized you are using version 2 of the device, this means wrapper is your only solution, here is the drivers you need http://av3ngr.wikispaces.com/file/view/0846_9011.tar.gz  install the one corresponding to the architecture of your linux system eg. 32bit or 64bit

here is a tutorial for ndiswrapper incase you have problems, use this tutorial with the drivers in the link above and you should be good to go.

P.s
 If you get it working to that stage and see your network but can not connect you need to change the WPA2 login encryption on your router to something else e.g WPA, I noticed on my WNDA3100 I needed to do this to get it working on my router

Departure, thank you my friend, and to all of you who contributed to this thank you all, I'm currently on line using my wireless connection. I installed ndiswrapper using the terminal with the command "sudo apt-get install ndisgtk" and proceeded to install the drivers with the ndiswrapper tool and it finally worked. Now I can begin to use and learn this wonderful OS. Thanks again everyone.

Mike
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 07:16:12 AM by Miker107 »

« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2014, 05:46:28 PM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

Hello!

From what I've seen, the BCM4323 is, indeed, a 'strange animal' - one that requires ndiswrapper to work. It's a pretty safe bet that you will have to uninstall any other Broadcom drivers you may have installed first, before using ndiswrapper to install the windows driver for this dongle.

Thanks to all of you for your input!

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2014, 08:17:37 AM »

Departure

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
I have both WNDA3100 and a WNDA4100, the WNDA4100 only needs new kernel to work correctly I think it was kernel 3.12 or 3.13 and should work out of the box, the WNDA3100 you need to use the wrapper in linux with the windows XP driver .ini file for WNDA3100 making sure you use the correct architecture e.g 32bit or 64bit drivers needs to be the same on your linux system, There is also a firmware and driver called "ar9170" but has since been merged with "carl9170" if you decide the wrapper isn't working for you then take a look here http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/carl9170  the driver already comes with linux kernel 2.6 and higher, but you will need to install the carl9170 firmware to get your device working

//Edit
I just realized you are using version 2 of the device, this means wrapper is your only solution, here is the drivers you need http://av3ngr.wikispaces.com/file/view/0846_9011.tar.gz  install the one corresponding to the architecture of your linux system eg. 32bit or 64bit

here is a tutorial for ndiswrapper incase you have problems, use this tutorial with the drivers in the link above and you should be good to go.

P.s
 If you get it working to that stage and see your network but can not connect you need to change the WPA2 login encryption on your router to something else e.g WPA, I noticed on my WNDA3100 I needed to do this to get it working on my router
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:30:04 AM by Departure »

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section