You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Dual NIC - Make Wireless The Internet Connection

Author (Read 6023 times)

Re: Dual NIC - Make Wireless The Internet Connection
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2018, 03:11:09 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
In LL just click on the network icon in the system tray and select edit connections from the menu. Select the Wired or Ethernet connection and change the IPv4 setting to "shared to other computers" That will share your Wifi and also allow your lan connection at the same time without needing static ip. You can let them both connect automatically as long as both machines are running. I'm assuming you already have had the two computers wired together once before and the connection is there to edit. If not just plug 'em both together and edit the connection that shows up.

TC
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 03:14:33 PM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2018, 02:58:28 PM »

Tom Balaban

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Thanks for asking trinidad.

The wireless connection is a USB dongle. Wired connection is a PCI connection.

What I would like to have is for the wireless to connect to the internet and have the wired just connect the LAN so she'll have access to another computer and her printer.

For the time being I have set the wired connection to not start automatically so I'm part of the way there. We get an internet connection immediately after a reboot. Now to get the wired to come up without it trying to act like an internet connection.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2018, 02:42:38 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
Not sure what you are asking here. Are your network cards separate and both PCI ? That is the only deployment I can think of that Linux would not set up the bridges on automatically. Are you trying to share the Wifi via DC?

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Dual NIC - Make Wireless The Internet Connection
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2018, 12:29:31 PM »

Tom Balaban

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
I just installed LL on a family member's desktop. The box has both wired and wireless NICs. Because of where the computer is located internet access is via the wireless NIC. The wired NIC is used for the LAN.

How can can I set up the wireless NIC to be the default internet point of access. Currently I have disable the wired NIC in order to access the internet.

Many thanks for reading.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section