You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Can't access my linux shared folder in Windows

Author (Read 2137 times)

Re: Can't access my linux shared folder in Windows
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2021, 10:36:13 AM »

maxing

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel core 2 T7600 @ 2.33Ghz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Mesa DRI Intel 945GM
Sorry for the delay, I managed to solve the problem and it was due to a misunderstanding in how I access the linux folder in windows, I was using the name of my pc to access the linux folder in windows instead of the name and password created in samba. What I learned from this is that you have to read the manual well and if you are not sure, come back and read it again. Thanks Trinidad.

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2021, 09:21:25 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
what I want is to be able to see and access my "Linux_lite" folder on my other pc that runs Windows 8.1
The problem is probably with Samba on Windows 8. Take a look here: https://www.dbts-analytics.com/w10ll4ntwk6.html
TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2021, 04:40:23 PM »

maxing

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Thanks Trinidad for reply, sorry for the confusion regarding the dual boot of my laptop, I just wanted to let you know how the laptop was configured, but my issue on the laptop is with linux lite and it has nothing to do with windows 8.1 on it. OK, what I want is to be able to see and access my "Linux_lite" folder on my other pc that runs Windows 8.1. I have configured this folder using the instructions in the linux lite manual about five times that is, I have deleted linux lite and done a fresh install of linux lite on my laptop, but I can't access the folder on my other pc on the LAN, but the shared folders of that pc that has windows 8.1 I access them most well on my linux laptop, I included a couple of screenshots of my Windows pc trying to access the folder.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2021, 11:12:20 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

• Kernel: 5.x
The first thing to do is to read below:
https://www.linuxliteos.com/manual/network.html#shares

However I'm not quite sure what you're attempting to do as far as your network topology. You say you are dual booting Windows and Linux and have a few other Windows devices on your LAN. Samba requires both your Linux and Windows systems to be running at least as far as accessing shared Linux files from Windows. The other Windows systems on your LAN can access Linux shared files as long as your Linux system is booted and running, but not if it is shut down, and the Windows system you are dual booting with Linux cannot access your shared Linux files because you cannot boot both of them at once. This can be confusing because you can certainly access the Windows files on the unmounted Windows partition from Linux even though Windows is not running, but in that case it is not Samba that is giving you access. Windows 8 does not natively work with extended partitions, which means Windows cannot see your Linux partition or files unless your Linux system is booted and running. You can't boot them both when you are dual booting. There are some other solutions to sharing files between Windows and Linux on the same drive but I'm not going to mention them yet until I understand what you are trying to do here. Please clarify what you are attempting.

TC   
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

Can't access my linux shared folder in Windows
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2021, 10:38:33 AM »

maxing

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I have a Dell E1405 laptop with Windows 8.1 and Linux lite 5.4 in a dual boot, my problem is that the folder that I setup to share with my other Windows pc on my lan, I see my linux pc on my Windows pc and I can access it too and see my folder but I can not access the folder he asks me for credentials but does not let me access it. I have already tried more than 5 times to configure sharing the folder in linux but it is always the same, BTW my folders on my Windows pc all access very well without problems in linux, I need your help because I am new to linux thanks.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section