You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

red wrench

Author (Read 4626 times)

Re: red wrench
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

bitsnpcs

• Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile
    • Try to Grow

• Kernel: 4.x
Hello rbdflyboy,

it looks hot and reading the explanation compared I can see your work explains the process very well in an image. Great job  :)

« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2014, 05:33:36 PM »

rokytnji

• Friganeer
  • Platinum Level Poster
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo U9600

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Mobile 4
Having my own M/C shop and being a former USMC avionics CH-53 crew chief. I thought that might be what this thread was about.
But.
It was submitted in members submitted art works. So that kind of threw a red wrench in my way of thinking.
So I waited.

Dealing with frozen exhaust nuts on rusted studs on air cooled engines on a daily basis.
I do a bit of red wrenching myself.

Acetylene torches, and welders are part of my toolkit.
Unfortunately.   They are useless on this free HP A350N Desktop a Bro mailed me. I am busy with it
disk cleaning, defragging everything to the front, turning off system restore, turning off page files, rebooting, looking for ram sticks (only 512MB total on that P4).

Wrenching on scooters is easier. So is safety wiring.

LL 3.6,2.8
Dell XT2 > Touchscreen Laptop
Dell 755 > Desktop
Acer 150 > Desktop
I am who I am. Your approval is not needed.

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2014, 04:43:34 PM »

rbdflyboy

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
No idea but if you won something or got a good deal on something, congratulations.

This example is more about saving as opposed to gaining something. Was a licensed aircraft mechanic/flight engineer for 30+ years. Although this is not a recommended practice for aircraft, had to apply this technique to save a part so it may be repaired and re-installed for myself and others over the years. Heating seized fasteners until they are cherry red allows the fastener to expand enough to break the surface tension cause by electrolysis and be removed without damaging the parent part, thereby possibly saving the owner a substantial amount of money. The technique is called red wrench because any heat source that provides direct localized heating can be utilized.
In this example the fastener has been removed and is cooling (don't touch it!).
These days spend time helping those who are low/fixed income, elderly, students, single parents. Those who really can not afford the high cost of vehicle repairs and rip offs.
Thanks for you interest.

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2014, 09:00:05 AM »

Monkeyman

• Forum Regular
  • Jesus Freak
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Phenom II (old skool!)

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce 450
No idea but if you won something or got a good deal on something, congratulations.

red wrench
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2014, 10:34:01 PM »

rbdflyboy

• Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
So, just now a mechanic comes to you and says..."fasteners are cheap, parts are expensive...had to use a red wrench. Thank him...this is what he means....

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section