You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

UEFI Build Test

Author (Read 346809 times)

Re: UEFI Build Test
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2016, 01:13:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
The language issue is proving to be a huge challenge, I feel my brain slowly melting after each fix attempt :( Will keep you all posted.

« Reply #44 on: January 04, 2016, 08:44:29 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

@Jalcom pm sent, thank you.

« Reply #43 on: January 04, 2016, 08:33:12 PM »

jalcom

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Jerry,

I am in with the UEFI Testing, I have a new ACER ASPIRE R3-131T Laptop with UEFI. Just give me the ISO and I will come back to you with my comments.

Cheers mate

Jalcom

« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2016, 08:31:19 PM »

jalcom

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
hey Jerry, I am in... I have a new Acer Aspire R3-131T UEFI. I think is a good idea to test with this new little machine.

jalcom

I'd like a few volunteers to test a new UEFI build I've been working on. The file will be hosted via private access. If you have a UEFI computer and would like to help test this ISO, please reply to this thread and let me know. This cannot be tested on VirtualBox, it must be installed to actual hardware :)

I've added a license file to go with this, necessary to ensure this stays as a private test - https://www.linuxliteos.com/files/EFI-LICENSE.txt You'll have to agree with this first, thank you. You will need to install Filezilla to access the ISO.

Code: [Select]
sudo apt-get install filezilla
During this test we need you to report the following:

- What install options you choose (check boxes on the installer etc)
- Whether this is a dual boot test or single boot (installing Linux Lite UEFI only on your computer)
- Any errors that occur during the install: please keep an eye on the installer, see where it crashes
- Install using another keyboard selection, eg. English UK keyboard
- Install in another language, eg. German or French etc.
- Screenshot any crashes or error messages

Thank you in advance, Jerry :)

« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2016, 07:27:04 AM »

j1r1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Core i7 @3.4GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series
Jerry,
I appreciate the work you do and I am really happy to contribute.
Fell free to contact me in case of need.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication." - Leonardo da Vinci

« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2016, 06:22:54 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

You guys are doing a great job here with these tests, I really appreciate the time you are taking to do this :) It's proving to be extremely valuable. Next few days I'm going to work on the language issue. If I can get that ironed out, I'll release a second ISO to test.

« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2016, 06:20:11 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Yes please new thread. Although I enjoy the information being shared here, we need to keep this thread clear for UEFI testing feedback only, Thank you :)

« Reply #38 on: January 04, 2016, 01:10:51 AM »

gold_finger

• Documentation Writer
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Core2 Duo E7500 3.0GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 4 Series Integrated Graphics
Quote from: Coastie
Yes, I installed LL as the only OS on the computer and wiped-out Windows. So if you want the "advantages" of the UEFI, you need to have a UEFI a build of LL. If you are satisfied with the legacy mode, the current build is fine even it you want more than one operating system on your computer?  :-\

@Coastie,

As far as daily operation of your computer goes, it makes no difference whether you've installed in Legacy or UEFI mode.  The firmware (UEFI or Bios) only comes into play for the first few seconds after powering on the computer.  After that, the operating system takes over and works the same no matter which mode you initially booted in.  You can install other OS's if you want -- just install them in Legacy mode too so that dual-booting will work properly.  It's only when you have OS's installed in different modes that you will have problems with dual-booting.  Perfect example of that is below.

If you've got further questions, Coastie, start a new thread please.  I think Jerry would rather this thread stick to posting results of tests.

Extended test:
First installed non-UEFI Windows7 Home Premium to one half of SSD.
Then tried to install alongside UEFI LinuxLite. Although the Windows partitions are visible from Live desktop, the alongside installation of LL is not offered at all - just "Erase Disk" option. In "Something else" option the Windows partitions are not shown and all disk is declared as free space.

These are common occurrences when attempting to do a "mixed-mode" install -- one OS in Legacy mode, the other in UEFI mode.  In this particular case, since Windows was installed first (in Legacy mode), the drive was automatically set to use MBR partitions.  A UEFI mode install (of Linux or Windows) requires the use of GPT partititons, so installer won't offer choice to install "alongside" if other OS is not already installed in same mode.  The drive will also need to be converted to using GPT partitions which might be the reason why installer shows the disk as empty.  (There are a few other possible explanations for this behaviour, but not worth going into now.) 
Try Linux Beginner Search Engine for answers to Linux questions.

« Reply #37 on: January 03, 2016, 08:12:55 PM »

technomancer

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • linux for life
    • View Profile
    • silver arroyo jewelry

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia m860
##################################################################################################
4th install results

-install with a different language and corresponding keyboard.

Install proceeded with Test #1 parameters  and Secure boot enabled - NOTSuccessful in Espanol/Spanish
Installer has error window come up, then hangs at black screen. I had to force POPO(power off power on)
##################################################################################################
3rd test results

-Could you perform an install with Secure Boot enabled?

Install proceeded with Test #1 parameters and Secure boot enabled- Successful.
2nd test results-

*-installed no updates/codecs.
 * full disk encryption(LVM) set password, home folder encryption(it takes much longer to install)
 * Installs without errors.
 -Whole drive automatic partitioning. UEFI enabled, CSM disabled (can post BIOS screenshot if desired)
 -Installed from DVD, computer picked up automatically DVD UEFI booting. Booted to "live" then clicked installer.
 -installed with HDD in AHCI mode

- Whether this is a dual boot test or single boot (installing Linux Lite UEFI only on your computer)
 * Single boot

- Any errors that occur during the install: please keep an eye on the installer, see where it crashes
 *After clicking restart, the DVD ejects. There is no prompt to hit "Enter" after DVD ejects so it looks like the installer hangs. (Pressing "Enter" may not be a "known" with new users to linux.)
 *I did an identical reinstall and let it sit after ejecting the DVD to see if it would time out without hitting restart-It did not reboot after waiting 10 minutes so i pressed "Enter" and it restarted immediately.

* US defaults

*ENG US

*After install completes, I click "reboot".
  Then upon reboot the following happens- Splash screen with progress bar staying at a miniscule mark and stops.
  I waited about 1 minute.Boot-up hangs until "Enter" is pressed multiple times, and stops after each press until an error appears-

-
 *I let the re-boot just sit after install and see if it would boot after waiting 20 minutes- It did NOT unless I pressed "Enter". Same error occurs as stated above.

####################################################################################################
1st test results-

*-none, installed no updates/codecs.
 -Whole drive automatic partitioning. UEFI enabled, CSM disabled (can post BIOS screenshot if desired)
 -Installed from DVD, computer picked up automaticly DVD UEFI booting. Booted to "install" option, not live.
 -installed with HDD in AHCI mode

* Single boot

*none

* US defaults

*ENG US

*none to report

#########This is my results documentation for testing LinuxLite2.6,UEFI #####technomancer##############
Member www.eff.org
*Hardware hacks are my speciality.
"forum posts should be like a skirt- long enough to cover the subject material, but short enough to keep things interesting"
--I am using/Running Linuxlite 2.8, Debian8 server, Ubuntu 14, Win7,Win10, MX15, LinuxMint kde.
--Xerox field service engineer, printer repairs,network analyst.

« Reply #36 on: January 03, 2016, 07:43:49 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thanks Jiri, looks like the language crash is consistent and needs some work.

@Herbie, if you agree to the license in the first post, I can send you the details.

« Reply #35 on: January 03, 2016, 01:24:59 PM »

j1r1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Second tested machine is Dell Latitude E6430 (laptop). Bios version A16.
UEFI boot works both with DVD and USB flash, but for booting of USB flash the Secure Boot must be disabled (otherwise immediately reports "selected boot device failed").
In shutdown before reboot it ejects the DVD but does not prompt to press Enter (waiting for it obviously).
Tested installation of other languages - Czech and German, both failed the same way as in previous tests.

« Reply #34 on: January 03, 2016, 12:50:51 PM »

Herbie

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: i7

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nvidia
I would like to test this.

« Reply #33 on: January 03, 2016, 08:00:16 AM »

j1r1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Extended test:
First installed non-UEFI Windows7 Home Premium to one half of SSD.
Then tried to install alongside UEFI LinuxLite. Although the Windows partitions are visible from Live desktop, the alongside installation of LL is not offered at all - just "Erase Disk" option. In "Something else" option the Windows partitions are not shown and all disk is declared as free space.

« Reply #32 on: January 03, 2016, 07:35:17 AM »

j1r1

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Continuation - my Asus test results:

*- Installed no updates/codecs.
 * no encryption
 * Whole drive automatic partitioning. UEFI enabled, Secure Boot option not available in BIOS
 *Installed from USB flash, UEFI USB booting selected manually from boot menu (F8). Tried both "live" then clicked installer and "installation" directly.

* Installed with SSD in AHCI mode
 * Single boot

US defaults and US version with Czech keyboard installs OK. After reboot the CZ keyboard remains available in selection panel but US keyboard is selected (LL2.6 does the same). No errors observed. No extra manipulation with USB/keyboard during reboot required.

Installation of Czech and German versions (with corresponding keyboards) tried, both failed at late stage ("Installing system"):

System quit to live desktop, reboot from disk does not work.

« Reply #31 on: January 03, 2016, 06:21:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Thanks Jiri, I'll look into that. Excellent reporting :)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section