You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

My problems with Linux Lite so far, a brief summary of problems Linux Lite has.

Author (Read 23110 times)

AdrianKoshka

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD Athlon 5350

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA Corporation GK208 [GeForce GT 730]
If you to read want my secret gist I put on gist.github.com that I wrote in markdown click the link https://gist.github.com/AdrianKoshka/d2537c48f88d690442473fe37b72f6e8
Otherwise this will pretty much be a reiteration of my gist post.

Through the short time I've been helping a community member with his projects I've seen a little bit of the development process of Linux Lite...and to be honest it terrifies me. This will serve as a brief overview of what I find wrong with the Linux Lite Development Model.

Linux Lite Issues

This document will serve to hopefully compile all issues I see with various projects done by Linux Lite. I feel this is a better way to do things as the current system is not oriented towards teamwork (the lack of a github organization really needs to be fixed, no offense).

Documentation

Documentation is severely lacking in Linux lite, and the manual is--not the best either. I don't say these accusations though without providing suggestions, also I've started my own person rewrite of the Linux Lite Manual in gitbook, which can be found here https://www.gitbook.com/book/adriankoshka/lite-manual/details It's a WIP.

Github Organization

NOTE: DON'T GET BUTTHURT READING THIS, KEEP YOUR COOL, I'M BEING SERIOUS

To give proper credit to authors, whether it be for documentation, code, etc a github organization NEEDS to be setup. This hacky method of keeping a distributions projects under a user account is simply not acceptable. Some reasons this isn't accept are:

• It makes it look like authors have COPIED their ORIGINAL works!
  • It doesn't foster a sense of community.
  • It makes it harder for people who want to help contribute.
  • It slows down progress.

that is just a short list of reasons why. A github organization will allow for Linux Lite to grow faster, for reasons such as:

• The community has more involvement.
  • More people can take time to fix things.
  • More work can be done independently
  • More issues can be addressed
  • A smoother work flow can be achieved.
  • Less overhead.

Things That NEED fixing

These applications at this point don't have what I feel would meet minimum documentation requirements.

Minimum "Documentation" Requirements for README.md

You may see this and say "woah! That's a majority of the repos in your list!" and sadly this is true. Though I have very basic requirements for the README.md file of all repos.

• A short description of the applications' function.
  • A screenshot or two, depends on what the application is I suppose.
  • A list of Depends
  • there is no arguing here, it'll make the job of future devs easier!
  • An Alphabetically sorted, bulleted list of authors.
  • Credits

for an example of this, see the lite-updater repo. https://github.com/linuxlite/lite-updater

Belongs somewhere ELSE

A list of repos/software that is not in the "correct" location.

Clean up "Abandonware"

This section is for stuff I don't know whether LL uses anymore, that should be cleaned up.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section