You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Lite Software - Suggestions welcomed

Author (Read 74848 times)

Re: A GUI tool to install additional software in Linux Lite 2.0
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2014, 07:17:22 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Would like to keep the window so there is no need for any scrolling, splitting the Descriptions would increase the height. I like that Status column :)

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2014, 07:15:05 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Pentium E5700 3GHz

• MEMORY: 3Gb

• VIDEO CARD: GeForce GT 430
This will increase the overall width of the window so I will in future shorten the Descriptions. Cheers :)
There is no need for that. I can split the Description into two lines.
So far...

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2014, 06:34:26 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Checklist is preferable. I'm thinking of contacting the Zenity team to see if they are interested in adding features to their software.
Would be nice to have another column titled 'Status' to the right of Category that says 'Installed' and 'Not Installed' for each application. This will increase the overall width of the window so I will in future shorten the Descriptions. Cheers :)

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 06:28:11 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

I've also added you to the Dev page on the LL website - https://www.linuxliteos.com/code.html#devteam
Welcome aboard :)
Great. Thanks for adding me to the list. Such an honor. :)
Misko, do you think you could find a way that makes a check if an application is installed, then displays that application in bold if it is installed?
I can make the script to check if an application is installed but bold part is impossible due to zenity's limitations. I could make a column, let's say "Status" or "Installed" which would show if the application is installed or not. That way it would be easy to separate installed applications from those which aren't.
The other option is this:

You didn't mention should I use checklist or imagelist?

« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 08:13:09 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

I've also added you to the Dev page on the LL website - https://www.linuxliteos.com/code.html#devteam
Welcome aboard :)

« Reply #59 on: September 22, 2014, 04:36:39 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Misko, do you think you could find a way that makes a check if an application is installed, then displays that application in bold if it is installed?

« Reply #58 on: September 21, 2014, 02:43:41 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Yes, it's a shame.  :-\
Anyway, I made a new script. Zenity of course. :)
Multiple selection + icons in a list.
Multiple selection of programs to install is now possible with Ctrl and Shift.
Icons should be the same size.

Code: [Select]
#! /bin/bash
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
#Name: Linux Lite Additional Software Install (GUI version)
# Description: A GUI tool to easily install additional software in Linux Lite.
# Authors: Misko_2083, Jerry Bezencon
# Date: September 17th, 2014
# Website: https://www.linuxliteos.com
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ic="/usr/share/icons/zenity-llcc.png"

selection=$(zenity --window-icon="$ic" --list --imagelist --multiple --print-column=2  --width=880 --height=700 --column="Select" --column="Name" --column="Category" \
 --column="Description" --text="Select the program you wish to install, then click the Install button. Sort Categories by clicking on the column." --title="Install Additional Software" --ok-label="Install" --cancel-label="Quit" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/steam.png" "Apple Trailers Plugin" "Internet" "Watch Apple trailers in your web browser (Firefox only)" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/steam.png" "Chrome Web Browser" "Internet" "Install the Google Chrome web browser" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Chromium Web Browser" "Internet" "Install the open-source alternative to the Google Chrome web browser" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Dropbox" "Internet" "A popular cloud storage application" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "File & Folder Search" "Accessories" "Easily locate files and folders in your computer" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Games Pack" "Games" "Comes with Solitaire, Chess, Mahjongg, Mines and Hearts" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Google Talk Browser Plugin" "Internet" "Install this plugin to use Google Hangouts video chat" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "iDevices Manager" "Multimedia" "Manage your iDevices with Gtkpod" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Instant Messenger" "Internet" "This will install Pidgin, a multi-protocol Instant Messenging client" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Java Web Applet Plugin" "Internet" "To allow you to view java applets in your web browser" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Netflix" "Multimedia" "A popular streaming tv and movie service (account required)" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Password Manager" "Accessories" "Installs KeePassX, an excellent password manager" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "PlayOnLinux" "Cross Platform" "Easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Windows" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Remote Desktop Software" "Internet" "Installs the Remmina Remote Desktop Client for Windows (RDP) and VNC Servers" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Restricted Extras" "Multimedia" "Installs additional codecs and useful file formats that are not shipped by default" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Skype" "Internet" "A popular audio and video chat application" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Teamviewer" "Internet" "Installs Teamviewer Remote Desktop Support software" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Torrent Software" "Internet" "Installs the Deluge Torrent client software" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Video Editing Software" "Multimedia" "Installs Openshot, a simple to use yet powerful video editor for linux" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "VirtualBox" "System" "Virtualbox allows you to install other operating systems like Windows from within Linux Lite" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Weather Monitor" "System Tray" "This will install a Weather Monitor Plugin for your tray" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Webcam Software" "Internet" "Guvcview, webcam software for your computer" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "Wine" "Cross Platform" "Wine allows you to install and run some Windows programs and games on Linux Lite" \
"/usr/share/pixmaps/skype.png" "XBMC" "Multimedia" "This will install the XBMC Media Center" )

echo $selection | grep "Apple Trailers Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/trailers 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Chrome Web Browser" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/chrome 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Chromium Web Browser" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/chromium 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Dropbox" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/dropbox 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "File & Folder Search" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/search 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Games Pack" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/games 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Google Talk Browser Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/googletalk 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "iDevices Manager" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/idev 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Instant Messenger" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/im 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Java Web Applet Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/javaplugin 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Netflix" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/netflix 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Password Manager" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/keepassx 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "PlayOnLinux" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/playonlinux 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Remote Desktop Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/remote 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Restricted Extras" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/re 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Skype" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/skype 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Teamviewer" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/teamviewer 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Torrent Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/deluge 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Video Editing Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/openshot 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "VirtualBox" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/virtualbox 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Weather Monitor" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/weather 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Webcam Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/guvcview 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "Wine" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/wine 2>/dev/null
fi

echo $selection | grep "XBMC" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/xbmc 2>/dev/null
fi

« Reply #57 on: September 21, 2014, 09:45:25 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

It is a shame Zenity does not have the same features as Yad. For example, the option of an icon and a select feature for me would be a no-brainer inclusion. The last release of Yad was December 2013, up until then development was fairly constant.

« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44:17 AM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Do you have the code for this or is it based off Yad? I'd like to avoid Yad, as flexible as it is, theres no telling when development will end for it leaving our users high and dry. Zenity I think is more likely to stay around.
Yes it's just Yad. I was tired of Zenity's limitations so I wanted to try something else.

« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2014, 04:43:36 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Remove Additional Software was updated today:

Changes:
  • Multiple removal selection available for Remove Additional Software (thanks misko).
  • Remove Additional Software now asks for password only once upon launch.

« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 09:10:34 AM by Valtam »

« Reply #54 on: September 19, 2014, 01:49:21 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

It does look cool, what a tease :p
-Working multiple selection
-images/icons
-working search for application names
-window image (that's that small feather icon, but can be any image)
-pango markup language in the list (<b>Apple Trailers Plugin</b>)

Do you have the code for this or is it based off Yad? I'd like to avoid Yad, as flexible as it is, theres no telling when development will end for it leaving our users high and dry. Zenity I think is more likely to stay around.

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2014, 09:55:04 PM »

Scott

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Dual core Intel Core i3 M 330

• MEMORY: 6Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel Integrated Graphics
@misko_2083
The icon "feature" is very nice, makes things look more polished and professional.

« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2014, 08:03:36 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

One option is to use checklist (like in this script).
The other option is to remove checklist and FALSE column and leave just icons (then Ctrl will have to be used for selecting multiple programs to install).
yad is required for this to run.
Code: [Select]
#! /bin/bash
# Name: Linux Lite Additional Software Install (GUI version)
# Description: A GUI tool to easily install additional software in Linux Lite.
# Authors: Misko_2083, Jerry Bezencon
# Date: September 19th, 2014
# Website: https://www.linuxliteos.com
ic="/usr/share/icons/zenity-llcc.png"

# Gtk warnings can be turned of with --no-markup, but then pango markup language can't be used
selection=$(yad  --center --window-icon="$ic" --image="$ic" --image-on-top --text="Select the program you wish to install, then click the Install button. Sort Categories by clicking on the column.\nYou can select multiple programs to install." \
 --title="Install Additional Software"  --list --width=880 --height=700 --checklist  --separator=" " --search-column=3 --print-column=3 \
--column=select --column=Icon:IMG --column=Name:TEXT --column=Category:TEXT --column=Description:TEXT --button="Quit:1" --button="Install:0" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "<b>Apple Trailers Plugin</b>" "Internet" "Watch Apple trailers in your web browser (Firefox only)" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Chrome Web Browser" "Internet" "Install the Google Chrome web browser" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Chromium Web Browser" "Internet" "Install the open-source alternative to the Google Chrome web browser" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Dropbox" "Internet" "A popular cloud storage application" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "File & Folder Search" "Accessories" "Easily locate files and folders in your computer" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Games Pack" "Games" "Comes with Solitaire, Chess, Mahjongg, Mines and Hearts" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Google Talk Browser Plugin" "Internet" "Install this plugin to use Google Hangouts video chat" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "iDevices Manager" "Multimedia" "Manage your iDevices with Gtkpod" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Instant Messenger" "Internet" "This will install Pidgin, a multi-protocol Instant Messenging client" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Java Web Applet Plugin" "Internet" "To allow you to view java applets in your web browser" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Netflix" "Multimedia" "A popular streaming tv and movie service (account required)" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Password Manager" "Accessories" "Installs KeePassX, an excellent password manager" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "PlayOnLinux" "Cross Platform" "Easily install and use numerous games and apps designed to run with Windows" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Remote Desktop Software" "Internet" "Installs the Remmina Remote Desktop Client for Windows (RDP) and VNC Servers" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Restricted Extras" "Multimedia" "Installs additional codecs and useful file formats that are not shipped by default" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Skype" "Internet" "A popular audio and video chat application" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Teamviewer" "Internet" "Installs Teamviewer Remote Desktop Support software" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Torrent Software" "Internet" "Installs the Deluge Torrent client software" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Video Editing Software" "Multimedia" "Installs Openshot, a simple to use yet powerful video editor for linux" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "VirtualBox" "System" "Virtualbox allows you to install other operating systems like Windows from within Linux Lite" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Weather Monitor" "System Tray" "This will install a Weather Monitor Plugin for your tray" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Webcam Software" "Internet" "Guvcview, webcam software for your computer" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "Wine" "Cross Platform" "Wine allows you to install and run some Windows programs and games on Linux Lite" \
FALSE /usr/share/pixmaps/litecleaner.png "XBMC" "Multimedia" "This will install the XBMC Media Center" )

echo $selection | grep "Apple Trailers Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/trailers 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Chrome Web Browser" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/chrome 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Chromium Web Browser" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/chromium 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Dropbox" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/dropbox 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "File & Folder Search" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/search 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Games Pack" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/games 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Google Talk Browser Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/googletalk 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "iDevices Manager" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/idev 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Instant Messenger" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/im 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Java Web Applet Plugin" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/javaplugin 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Netflix" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/netflix 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Password Manager" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/keepassx 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "PlayOnLinux" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/playonlinux 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Remote Desktop Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/remote 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Restricted Extras" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/re 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Skype" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/skype 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Teamviewer" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/teamviewer 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Torrent Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/deluge 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Video Editing Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/openshot 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "VirtualBox" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/virtualbox 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Weather Monitor" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/weather 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Webcam Software" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/guvcview 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "Wine" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/wine 2>/dev/null
fi
echo $selection | grep "XBMC" > /dev/null
if [ $? = 0 ];then
/usr/scripts/xbmc 2>/dev/null
fi

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2014, 05:55:06 PM »

anon222

• Muted
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

No, that wasn't a tease.
This is a tease :)

-Working multiple selection
-images/icons
-working search for application names
-window image (that's that small feather icon, but can be any image)
-pango markup language in the list (<b>Apple Trailers Plugin</b>)

« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section