Development > Linux Lite Software Development

Linux Lite Kernel

<< < (3/66) > >>

Şerban S.:

--- Quote from: Jerry on August 04, 2020, 10:12:24 AM ---5.8 Linux Lite Kernel is now available for 32 & 64bit machines.
'If it ain't broke...' If you don't need this kernel for a specific reason, don't install it!
[...]
--- End quote ---

Thanks for the info! :)
Reading about the new features, reveals that actually this might be useful only for very new hardware. For old hardware, there are only minor improvements so...
'If it ain't broke...' :)

For enthusiasts:
1. Backup the Root [/] partition (/dev/sda1 usually, except for GPT), then /home, if this is the case;
2. Remove all kind of proprietary drivers, if any;
3. Install the new kernel;
4. Reinstall the proprietary drivers, if this is the case.

CAUTION: If you have a GPT partitioning, take care at the backup phase. Backup the /dev/sda1 too, just in case. It's the boot/efi partition.

I used this steps to test lots of kernels when using Linux Mint. I even installed some RCs. Nothing broke, but nither "boosts".
For backups, I use CloneZilla so it takes some 20 minutes to perform a full restore, for an average of 18 GB uncompressed data.

Hope this helps. :)

Personally, I found nothing useful for my machine in the list of new features. The only idea would be to test the NVidia GK107 with this kernel, but since the Intel chipset gives me an average 53 FPS at rendering, I guess I fall into the above category: 'If it ain't broke...'

Best regards! :)

Jerry:
5.8 Linux Lite Kernel is now available for 32 & 64bit machines.

'If it ain't broke...' If you don't need this kernel for a specific reason, don't install it!

These kernels are built for:

- Series 5.x (emerald/focal 64bit only)
- Series 4.x (diamond/bionic 64bit only)
- Series 3.x (citrine/xenial)
- Series 2.x (beryl/trusty) - NB: No more kernels for this Series.

See here for an overview of what's new - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-58-features&num=1

Open a terminal and do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-linuxlite-5.8.0 linux-image-linuxlite-5.8.0 -y
--- End code ---

If you prefer the point-and-click option, go to Menu, System, Lite Tweaks and select Kernel Installer.

NOTE: If you use proprietary drivers, this kernel may break functionality with those drivers. If you have proprietary drivers installed and you still decide to go ahead with this kernel install, you should be competent in repairing your drivers. If you aren't, DO NOT install this kernel.

IMPORTANT: Only install this kernel if you need it or if you are adept at getting out of trouble from a TTY.

Jerry:
5.7 Linux Lite Kernel is now available for 32 & 64bit machines.

- Series 5.x (emerald/focal 64bit only)

See here for an overview of what's new - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-57-features&num=1

Open a terminal and do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-linuxlite-5.7.0 linux-image-linuxlite-5.7.0 -y
--- End code ---

If you prefer the point-and-click option, go to Menu, System, Lite Tweaks and select Kernel Installer.

NOTE: If you use proprietary drivers, this kernel may break functionality with those drivers. If you have proprietary drivers installed and you still decide to go ahead with this kernel install, you should be competent in repairing your drivers. If you aren't, DO NOT install this kernel.

IMPORTANT: Only install this kernel if you need it or if you are adept at getting out of trouble from a TTY.

Jerry:
5.6 Linux Lite Kernel is now available for 32 & 64bit machines.

See here for an overview of what's new - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-56-features&num=1

Open a terminal and do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-linuxlite-5.6.0 linux-image-linuxlite-5.6.0 -y
--- End code ---

Jerry:
5.5 Linux Lite Kernel is now available for 32 & 64bit machines.

See here for an overview of what's new - https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux-55-features&num=1

Open a terminal and do:

--- Code: ---sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-linuxlite-5.5.0 linux-image-linuxlite-5.5.0 -y
--- End code ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version