Development > Linux Lite Software Development

Linux Lite Development - Our goals and how to get involved.

(1/4) > >>

Coastie:

--- Quote from: ohdarnit on June 14, 2016, 12:32:12 PM ---... Things like the dreaded ¨terminal¨ really should be saved for much more in depth tasks and as a last resort for most users. ...

--- End quote ---

The use of terminal commands to fix updating problems has keep me away from moving on to Manjaro. This seems to be an ongoing problem for Manjaro. I think about going to Manjaro (rolling release) every time there is a series update in Linux Lite and have to reinstall and the work going with that. The core value of "simple" keeps me with Linux Lite.

bitsnpcs:

--- Quote from: Mr Plod on February 28, 2014, 09:33:52 AM ---
--- Quote from: shaggytwodope on February 13, 2014, 04:43:57 AM ---Our target audience are Windows users. We want to show people that a linux based operating system can:

1. Be simple to use.
--- End quote ---
I really love the Synaptic Package Manager (what a strange name)
--- End quote ---

Synapses are sending signals to/from neurons in the brain, and also to make the heart beat/natural pacemaker, they can also be created to a lesser extent in a part of the heart and eyes.
In summary the eyes see Linux, the brain tells the heart it's in Love.

Love can come exclusively from the emotive centre, without logic centre input, different sets of neurons.
As you then formulated a choice this will have came from the logic centre, that loves Linux, yet the choice was to go to windows, love is a confusing thing.

mookie:
To date, my toolkit familiarity has been limited to pygtk. That doesn't seem to be aligned with the WIP evident at github.com/linuxlite so I'm asking whether or not your roadmap intends gtk+ only.
I'm enthusiastic about the prospect of this
https://github.com/linuxlite/litewelcome/blob/master/usr/bin/lite-welcome
being replaced by something like this
https://github.com/shaggytwodope/manjaro-hello
because using webbrowser.open() seems preferable, compared to depending on python-webkit
(in the context of a distro which pre-installs firefox, not chromium/webkit)

The use of an embedded webkit browser, when remotely-hosted content is displayed, has always seemed to me like "throwing users to the wolves" naked, without protection(s) provided by any privacy / anti-tracking extensions the user may have installed (along with inbuilt ff SafeBrowsing + antiphish protections, if enabled). Although we trust that distro devs link to remote help pages "in good faith", apparently they neglect to consider linkrot.  Additionally, and I'm not saying this is the case in Lite's implementation, user usually isn't even provided a tooltip/hint as to the destination, let alone offered a choice, an alternative means to copy/paste a target url and open with his/her preferred browser.

btw, I clicked the link provided, back in the day, within post #1
https://www.linuxliteos.com/code.html
Page Not Found

ohdarnit:
I know this is quite an old thread but as  a new LL user (not new to linux) I thought I should still add my thoughts.

As a Linux user (more years on Windows than Linux) I want the most simple desktop, I do not require spinning workspaces or any conky distractions etc.
I guess the most successful simple desktop is Android (growing users by the day), there is very little of a learning curve, you see what you want and tap it, tadah! it opens.

Why can linux not accomplish such as its main user screens? If Linux devs really want to encourage people to give linux a try, what better than the most simple way to get going. Something similar to the available Slingscold on Voyager os.

Things like the dreaded ¨terminal¨ really should be saved for much more in depth tasks and as a last resort for most users. In this day and age with all of the scripts available surely almost all tasks can be done by one click/tap on icons.

Primarily I feel that Linux as a whole has lost its way, getting more and more disjointed and confusing to new users as time goes by. The sheer choice of Linux OS is mind boggling to a new Linux user who simply wants to jump ship quickly (hardly encouraging).

For far too many Windows users, Linux is simply about using the terminal and issuing commands manually. It does not seem to have moved on for many years, just more eye candy added.

Jerry:
Thanks Skorpp, we will never change our core values, simple, fast and free. This includes keeping the same base principle to, one application for each common task, whilst giving people the freedom to add to that :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version