You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite Development - Our goals and how to get involved.

Author (Read 15789 times)

Re: Linux Lite Development, Our goals and how to get involved.
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2014, 10:15:30 AM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)
I made the mistake of abandoning Linux for Mac after a short try several years ago. I was scared away by the dreaded Terminal and updating and installing programs using Synaptic using a dial up internet connection. I am back to stay with Linux this time. Software Centers are a big improvement over Synaptic for new Linux users.

I have never used a command line on my Mac and cannot remember ever using a command line on Windows PC. I am getting a little more comfortable with using command lines on the Terminal but think being able to use Linux without use of the Terminal would go a long way in winning over new Linux users from Windows and Mac OS.

Maybe a goal for Linux Lite would be to do away with the need to use the Terminal?

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2014, 09:33:52 AM »

Mr Plod

• New to Forums
  • Ubuntu 14.04 LTS
    • View Profile
    • River Weaver Navigation

• MEMORY: 4Gb
Our target audience are Windows users. We want to show people that a linux based operating system can:

1. Be simple to use.
Unfortunately, this is where it will fail. If you want to target Windows users you need to learn about those users. Not look at Windows and emulate it, but learn what it's users actually want / need from an OS and why they 'think' that they have no other choice.
Basic LL functions are 'simple to use'. But, step sideways in any direction and it's like stepping back 20 years.
I'm sorry to be critical, but Windows users will not be comfortable with leaving a world of search and click to that of DOS like screens and copy & pasting code. (What is a Terminal anyway?). They will stick with what know because it is 'very simple to use'.
There are some aspects of LL that are great. I really love the Synaptic Package Manager (what a strange name), but I can't use it because the only way that I can get a signal from my Wifi is to strap it to the bottom of my Lappy. Why?..... I don't know. And neither does any one on here!
That could bring me on to the subject of support. But, I'm not going there.... I'm going back to Microsoft instead. Because it works!
I am a Linux Virgin. so, please be gentle with me - No smooth talk.....

HP Compaq Presario CQ57

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 04:27:07 AM »

N4RPS

• Donator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Knows JUST ENOUGH Linux to be DANGEROUS
    • View Profile
    • Orphans for Christ, Self Advocates of Mecklenburg

• CPU: Several Different 32-bit & 64-bit CPUs, 2-8 GB RAM

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Several Different AMD and Intel GPUs
Hello!

If you folks need something tested on a wide variety of equipment, including older laptops, I can help...

73 DE N4RPS
Rob

A gun in your hand is worth more than a whole police force on the phone.

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 05:37:03 PM »

Coastie

• PayPal Supporter
  • Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite User
    • View Profile

• CPU: AMD A10-6700 (ASUS M32)

• MEMORY: 12Gb

• VIDEO CARD: ADM Radeon HD (integrated)

Our target audience are Windows users. We want to show people that a linux based operating system can:

1. Be simple to use.

2. Look good....

Don't forget Mac PPC users who do not want spend big bucks on a new Mac computer. Fortunately, I had an old Intel PC to install Linux Lite. Even if I did not have it, buying a used or inexpensive PC would be a better option than spending the money for another Mac. Apple burned me once. I won't take another bite of of the Apple.

Linux Lite has definitely been simple to use with help and looks good! 8)

Left Mac OS X for Linux in Jan 2014

Linux Lite Development - Our goals and how to get involved.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 04:43:57 AM »

shaggytwodope

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Shaggy's Blog

• CPU: Intel i5 4440

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics 4600
This is paraphrased from Development/Code page, More info on how to get involved can be found be joining us on the #linuxlite channel on Freenode IRC, or contacting here.

This is a very exciting time in Linux Lite development. We are in the process of producing custom, free software for Linux Lite. Our philosophy is minimal code, minimal design and minimal dependency. Our applications should be clean, fast and simple. Intelligent, well thought out design with great attention to detail. We use the GPL v2.

Ethos

• Be simple to use.
  • Look good.

Following qualities and abilities we are looking for:
  • People who are open minded.
  • You desire to share knowledge with others.
  • You think in terms of how software will benefit others.
  • You don't let your own personal tastes influence your design and feature work.
  • Have the ability to visualise in your head the end product and how users will interact with our software.
  • Passionate about winning over Windows users to linux.

Can work as part of a team.
  • Can code in either: python, bash, zenity. Other languages are welcome (just no java)
  • You should already have some code and or software that we can look at.

Please don't volunteer if you:
  • Are egotistical.
  • Have an elitist attitude or mindset.
  • Consider only how to benefit yourself.
  • Believe that your way is the only way.
  • Can't take constructive criticism.

The majority of the tools we aim to create simply aim to improve a new users experience, be it something as simple as a configuration setting that can vastly improve things. Or a graphical tool to install software. Nothing is silly and would be ignored. We are a friendly group of people with the single goal of offering a "Lite" Linux distro, and ease of use. Please feel free to contact Valtam (Our Humble Creator and Project Leader), or any moderators here with ideas or questions. And it will be forwarded accordingly.

Please note this post is not intended as a suggestion or feature request thread, feature and bug requests can be found here respectively.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:18:59 AM by Valtam »
The Truth is out there.
Be sure to check the Manual out and always report Bugs or feature requests.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section