You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Linux Lite 7.x Series discussion

Author (Read 25770 times)

Re: Linux Lite 7.x Series discussion
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2024, 02:41:57 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Fully understand, Jerry. Have definitely the same tendency. But obviously with exceptions :)
And Betterbird is one of them. Really worth looking into it, not only from a technical point of view but also who's behind that project and why (spoiler alert: the former Thunderbird maintainer).

But also understand that 'email client' is only one of many, many boxes to tick off on your never ending list of tasks creating/maintaining Linux Lite. And in that respect choosing the well established Thunderbird means less work.

Haven't heard of Betterbird, tend to stay away from the lesser knowns.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2024, 02:48:54 AM by LL-user »

« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2024, 02:32:08 AM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Thanks Trinidad. Always valuable to get your detailed, highly experienced take on certain topics.

I haven't checked Evolution for some time, so can't really compare to Thunderbird/Betterbird. Is your conclusion based on comparison with the 102 or 115 Thunderbird series? I take that 115 has been a huge overhaul.

Obviously there are many factors to be taking into account when choosing software. If someone cares about privacy (and sadly that meanwhile needs to be extended to a human and free society), it's beyond me to consider products from Microsoft, Google and the likes that are caught up in a massive conflict of interest and have stepped up their game of censorship, manipulation & control to a frightening level.
I do understand the reasons to offer Chrome or even Edge specifically in Linux Lite with its target audience. But one of the first educational steps I take with someone going down the Linux (Lite) path is providing information about these products and the companies behind them - and offering alternatives of course.

https://norberthaering.de/en/news/microsoft-service-contract/

https://amifloced.org

https://internxt.com/what-does-google-know-about-me

« Last Edit: March 13, 2024, 01:46:50 PM by LL-user »

« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2024, 12:58:31 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
Haven't heard of Betterbird, tend to stay away from the lesser knowns.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2024, 12:26:39 PM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Hello @LL-user  Good to hear from you again. As much as Betterbird seems to improve on the little irritations of Thunderbird I'm not sure that it would suit the stability requirements of Linux Lite. Currently Evolution is the best Linux mail client out there... however I'm not sure the Linux Lite development team would want to deal with the gnome integrations on an XFCE DE distro. I highly recommend Evolution as it has stepped to the front now... but again Microsoft has thrown their own new roadblocks in the way to prevent its proper integration with Windows code. The email client world of Microsoft and MSOffice is still vastly larger than the Linux world and so it is still in their interest to make it difficult for Linux email clients to run in Windows otherwise Evolution would already have a Windows version.

On another note I cling to Firefox simply because I can still run BASH scripts from it to deal more easily with restful APIs and UNIX downloads and file sorting scripts. It is too annoying to be forced to learn how to script Chrome to do the same things. User functionality is often a casualty of security changes but the base browser build was always a lazy idea with Chrome (argued as being more secure by the way). Given that Mozilla itself may be wheezing for breath it's probably time for gnome to step up to the plate with a real modern web browser using the Firefox base...  though that remains to be seen. (Cachy or LibreWolf might have promise) In the meantime I will still use the Mozilla PPA.Just my opinions which don't matter much, and as a disclaimer, I don't use email clients at all except Evolution on Debian gnome, and I don't use Samba preferring SSH, and MS Edge dev is actually better and more full featured than Chrome.

TC           
« Last Edit: March 10, 2024, 12:31:28 PM by trinidad »
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2024, 09:43:08 PM »

LL-user

• I come here a lot
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
Given that Thunderbird is going to be a snap, we'll add the Mozilla repo so people can get debs of both.

Hi Jerry,
What's your take on replacing Thunderbird with Betterbird?
"Betterbird is a fine-tuned version of Mozilla Thunderbird, Thunderbird on steroids, if you will."
https://betterbird.eu

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2024, 07:27:31 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

ClamAV gui, there should be a thread on these forums about it. Take a look, tell me what you think. It's very basic.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2024, 07:25:01 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Given that Thunderbird is going to be a snap, we'll add the Mozilla repo so people can get debs of both.

« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2024, 09:18:17 AM »

lc6529

• Merchandise Supporter
  • New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

Looking forward to 7.0, I've been running the 5.x series and it has been flawless which is why I have been hesitant to reload but the time is coming.

Nice to haves are:

Gui for Clam AV as someone else mentioned.

Built-in VPN client that can be enabled, currently I use Windscribe which has a very nice GUI for Linux.

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2024, 06:11:39 AM »

WytWun

• PayPal Supporter
  • Occasional Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Atom z8300

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel integrated

Some recent developments prompt me to request consideration of having native Firefox in Lite Software rather than snap based Firefox which has some annoying usability warts (file uploads in particular often don't work).

Exhibits:
Apart from the problems with the snap based Firefox, if I can avoid it I really don't want Google "helping" me any more than I enjoyed Microsoft's various "helpful" bits of tooling when I had to run Windows 10 at work (now retired so no Win 10+ in my fleet).  While the Chome changes are only for Windows and Macos so far, and so far only "experimental" and opt-in, Google have form in spreading such contagion and making it difficult to opt out of.

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2024, 06:21:26 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Would like to do a core version too.
Would love that coupled with OEM install, even one that I had to pay for.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2024, 07:00:57 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

If possible, I'd like to see an option to allow for automatic updates and autoclean.  BTW, has the curiosity to move LL to KDE been permanently jettisoned?
The auto stuff I'd like to do at some point, would be nice to have a few more developers onboard. KDE version, maybe when I am in retirement and have too much time on my hands Would like to do a core version too.

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2024, 10:44:00 AM »

torreydale

• PayPal Supporter
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • * Forum Moderator *
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5-3230M (4) @ 3.200GHz

• VIDEO CARD: Intel 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics

If possible, I'd like to see an option to allow for automatic updates and autoclean.  BTW, has the curiosity to move LL to KDE been permanently jettisoned?
Want to thank me?  Click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2024, 06:09:27 AM »

Carlos Bernardino

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 1.5Ghz Dual Core

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics

• Kernel: 6.x
Hello everybody! I wish you a good new year!

I will add another thing that is very important for my mother.

I would like to see one thing very important for my mother. It is a PT-PT (Portuguese from Portugal) Keyboard support for ASUS-X550CA models because my mother loves this Linux distribution, so I will stay in the old laptop that I offered to my mother, with 4GB of RAM, 500GB HDD and an Intel Celeron Dual Core 1.5Ghz CPU with an Intel HD Graphics from card from 2013.
Unfortunately, she can't use all the keys from the keyboard, because some special characters aren't in the correct buttons. After all, this distribution doesn't have, at least for now, support for the PT-PT keyboard ASUS-X550CA model.

Regards!

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2023, 03:45:59 PM »

Carlos Bernardino

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Celeron 1.5Ghz Dual Core

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD Graphics

• Kernel: 6.x
I will want to see:
- Less requirements in CPU and memory usage;
- More speed and perfomance in all operating system;
- More speed opening Open Office Text Writer;
- A GUI for an antivirus system;
- More support for hardware, like WebCams, because my webcam seems like to have a bad resolution on videocalls, and the webcam is one HD 720p webcam.

Thank you! ;)

What do you want to see next June?

« Last Edit: November 18, 2023, 08:02:41 PM by Carlos Bernardino »

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2023, 08:01:08 PM »

bonnevie

• Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i3 Dual Core

• MEMORY: 12Gb

I like it!!
LL6.6 in VM
LL5.8 Host

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section