You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Install Updates - Yad version

Author (Read 15199 times)

Re: Install Updates - Yad version
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2017, 10:52:21 AM »

justme2

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel i5 vPro

• MEMORY: 8Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel
I have substituted the Yad version for Install Updates and all is well up to now. For LL3.8 release I would like to see all update functions to use one window which remains open for the duration of the process. I find it disconcerting when one window closes and there is a delay (long in some circumstances - lots of updates?). I have messed up the updating process when there is no indication on screen and have had to shut down due to time constraints (wife waiting!).

Is this possible and if so what do others think? I don't understand the update script so I have no idea. Sometimes I do update/upgrade from a terminal, all in a single window.   :)
1) Lenovo T520 i5 LL3.8 8GB ram, fast & stable
2) Medion P4 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, quite fast & stable
3) eeePC 901 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, fast & stable
4) eeePC 701 32bit LL3.8 1GB ram, slower & stable but small and light enough to travel with me to New Zealand when visiting family in Blenheim.

« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2017, 11:03:52 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x
The icon is hard-linked to /usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/scalable/synaptic.svg

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2017, 11:02:53 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Np TC. From now on can you please embed your images in the Forum, rather thank linked to an external url? Thank you.

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 11:00:31 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

Duh! Sorry Jerry another elderly moment. I switched icons to tango a few days ago and forgot about it.

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2017, 10:55:18 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

What icon theme?

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2017, 10:48:18 AM »

trinidad

• Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • dbts-analytics.com

• CPU: i7 4 cores 8 threads

• MEMORY: 16Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Intel HD graphics

What is the little green thing? Wine bottle? Flask of chemicals? Witches brew? Never noticed it before.

https://imgur.com/a/reIb2

TC
All opinions expressed and all advice given by Trinidad Cruz on this forum are his responsibility alone and do not necessarily reflect the views or methods of the developers of Linux Lite. He is a citizen of the United States where it is acceptable to occasionally be uninformed and inept as long as you pay your taxes.

« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2017, 09:50:46 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Folks, you are providing excellent feedback. Thank you all.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2017, 01:17:56 PM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
OK, I tried the new code. I'm going to divide up the process into 4 parts:

1. The first progress window when it finds what needs to be updated. This experience was great. I thought it was a big improvement to have a status bar instead of a flashy blue progress bar. Since things typically progress quickly here, it was very clear to the user what is happening. Perfect.
2. The list of things to be updated. Perfect. Nice, clear-looking list, fonts etc are easier to see than the old standard way.
3. Downloading the updates. This looked fine to me on this first run through, but I'd like to take a better look at it a second time.
4. Installing and configuring the updates. I liked how this kept to the same overall look as step 1 above to keep with the theme, but the downside was that things here at step 4 move much slower. Therefore, as a result it can be sitting on a particular status in the status bar for awhile. In the absence of anything else to tell the user "something is happening", the user might think the process has stalled. I'd consider whether an additional rotating icon needs to be added in, OR have the background of the status be a blue bar that gradually gets filled in (like in step 3 I think? - although I need to take a better look at step 3 next time).

So, steps 1 - 3 are perfect, I didn't see anything that looked confusing, it was clear what was happening at any time. Step 4, I'd like to see something a little different because the status can sometimes take a long time to change and the user might think the process is stuck (in the absence of seeing how far along they are in a progress bar or something like that). However, it's still pretty great as is.

Thanks for all the work on this Jerry!  :)
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2017, 10:47:10 AM »

DenW

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core T4300@2100GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G102M
Hi Vera/Jerry:  Just did another small update and only got slow moving bar in Downloads (in fact it only seems to move when download item changes - is this really useful?), so I presume I have the latest version as all other blue bars have gone away.  Will leave it like this for future as available Updates window is so far always populated, which was the original problem.  Should this thread be marked as SOLVED?

« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2017, 05:52:41 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Yes, it's the second block of code.

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2017, 05:50:08 AM »

Vera

• PayPal Supporter
  • Forum Regular
  • Enjoying Linux Lite.
    • View Profile

• CPU: Intel Quad Core 1.6GHz

• VIDEO CARD: AMD Radeon
I did the same as DenW yesterday (I used the first block of code but with my window slider setting moved back to the left to check for window centering). Windows were now centered during the update process! Yay!

However, I still got the moving blue bar. So that part sounds different to what DenW was seeing. I'm not sure why it was different for each of us.

I did this before Jerry posted the new block of code, so I'm not sure if the timing had an effect (did we maybe get different versions of the old code, DenW?) That part is confusing to me but I definitely got the blue bar. I remember it because I was contemplating whether the moving of the blue bar seemed slower or faster than it was before (ultimately neither one, as the rate seemed to vary during the process).

My next step is to try Jerry's second block of code. I will post again after I try it.
Using Linux Lite for everything now. I put it on my desktop and my laptop. Woohoo!

« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2017, 04:22:40 PM »

DenW

• New to Forums
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile

• CPU: Pentium Dual Core T4300@2100GHz

• MEMORY: 4Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVIDIA GeForce G102M
Hi Vera/Jerry:  Thanks Vera for your kind words and good to know moving slider solved problems for you.

Jerry, I just copied the code from your original post (I think - because I did not see your latest post!) and installed in my updates-gui.  To be sure that it would be your code was doing the centering I moved my Window Placement slider to far left (small) and then ran Install Updates.  Worked perfectly with all windows centered but I did notice no blue bar except during download (thats why I wonder if I got your latest version anyway).
I know I commented in a previous post elsewhere about getting rid of the blue bar but I think I was premature because the updates at that time were small.  During a kernel update yesterday, and even with todays updates, I did notice significant pauses in the text changes during all phases of the update.  Even though it clearly states "this may take some time" I found I missed the reassurance of the moving blue bar as the text was sometimes sitting there for 20-30 seconds or more, which can seem like an eternity!  Does anyone else have a preference?

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Code for above post:

Code: [Select]
#!/bin/bash
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Name: Linux Lite Updates
# Description: A GUI tool to easily install Updates in Linux Lite.
# Authors: Misko_2083, Jerry Bezencon, gerito1, Ralphy
# Website: https://www.linuxliteos.com
#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_APPNAME="Linux Lite Updates"                # Application name variable
_MYUPDUSER=$(whoami)
_ICON="/usr/share/icons/Faenza/apps/scalable/synaptic.svg"     # Linux Lite icon variable
_UPDATES=$(mktemp /tmp/updateslist.XXXXXX)   # Updates log variable
_DATE=$(date +"%A-%d-%B-%Y-%T")              # Date variable
_TMPU="/tmp/_updusr"
_PLAIN="/tmp/updateslist.txt"
_LLUPDATES="/var/log/llupdates.log"
if [ ! -f "$_TMPU" ]; then echo "$_MYUPDUSER" > "$_TMPU"; chmod 600 "$_TMPU"; fi
_SVUSER=$(cat "$_TMPU")

# function remove temp files
rm_temp_files() {
rm -f $_SVUSER
rm -f $_TMPU
rm -f $_UPDATES
rm -f $_PLAIN
rm -f /tmp/updateslist.*
}

# function view, save update log
view_save_log() {
  _ANS=$(yad --center --borders=15 --question --image=logviewer --text-info --width="780" --height="400" --window-icon="$_ICON" --title=" $_APPNAME Error log" \
                --button=gtk-cancel:1 --button="Save":0 --filename="$_LLUPDATES" 2>/dev/null); _OPT=$(echo $?)

if [[ "$_ANS" =~ "Copy to clipboard" ]]; then
      sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$_SVUSER} xclip -selection c "$_LLUPDATES"
      xhost local:$_SVUSER > /dev/null 2>&1
      export DISPLAY=:0
      _NTFYICON="/usr/share/icons/Faenza/places/48/distributor-logo-ubuntu.png"
      notify-send -i "$_NTFYICON" 'Updates Log copied to clipboard' "Go to www.linuxliteos.com/forums and paste the log into a new or existing thread." -t 10000
      xhost - >/dev/null 2>&1; rm_temp_files; exit 0
    fi
    case $_OPT in
       0) szSavePath=$(yad --center --image=logviewer --borders=15 --title="    Save Updates Log" --width="600" --height="400" --file-selection --filename="/home/$_SVUSER/llupdates.log" \
                              --window-icon="$_ICON" --file-filter='*.log' --file-filter='All files | *' --save --confirm-overwrite 2>/dev/null)
           if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$_SVUSER} cp "$_LLUPDATES" "$szSavePath"; rm_temp_files; else rm_temp_files; exit 0 ; fi ;;
       1) rm_temp_files; exit 0 ;;
    esac
}

# Check Internet access
if eval "curl -sk google.com" >> /dev/null 2>&1; then :; else # Prompt ERROR internet connection check failed and exit
  yad --center --borders=15 --info --width="320" --height="120" --window-icon="$_ICON" --button=gtk-ok:1 --title="$_APPNAME" \
         --text="\n<b>Your computer is not connected to the Internet.</b> \n \nLinux Lite cannot check for Updates.\nPlease check your internet connection and try again.\n" --text-align center 2>/dev/null
  rm_temp_files; exit 0
fi

# Kill off any package managers that may be running
if [ "$(pidof synaptic)" ]; then killall -9 synaptic; fi
if [ ! -z "$(pgrep gdebi-gtk)" ]; then killall -9 gdebi-gtk; fi

# start dialog - Ask for elevation, else exit
if [ $EUID -ne 0 ]; then
  yad --center --borders=15 --image=system-software-install --question --width="320" --height="120" --window-icon="$_ICON" --button=gtk-cancel:1 --button="Continue":0 --title="$_APPNAME" \
       --text="\nLinux Lite will now fetch the Updates list.\n\nClick <b>Cancel</b> to exit now or <b>Continue</b> to proceed.\n" --text-align center 2>/dev/null
   case $? in
      0) pkexec "$0"; if [ "${PIPESTATUS[@]}" -eq "126" ]; then rm_temp_files; fi; exit 0 ;;
      1) rm_temp_files; exit 0 ;;
   esac
fi

if [ "$?" -eq "0" ];then
  # xclip check/ install
  if [ -z  "$(dpkg -l | grep -E '^ii' | grep xclip)" ]; then
    apt-get install xclip -y | yad --center --borders=15 --image=system-software-install --progress --pulsate --window-icon="$_ICON" --auto-close --no-cancel --width="320" --height="80" --title="$_APPNAME" \
                                       --text="Preparing... please wait...\n" --text-align center --no-buttons --skip-taskbar 2>/dev/null
  fi

# Repositories registered
_SLIST=$(grep '^deb ' -c /etc/apt/sources.list)
_SLISTD=$(grep -R --exclude="*.save" '^deb ' -c /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ | grep -c /)
APTUPDATE=$(($_SLIST + $_SLISTD)) # Total of repositories registered, this is approximated
apt-get update 2>&1 | tee "$_LLUPDATES" |
awk -v total=$APTUPDATE '/^Ign|^ Get/{count++;$1=""} FNR { if (total != 0){percentage=int (1000*count/total);print (percentage > 100),"\n#",substr($0, 0, 128) }; fflush(stdout)}' \
| yad --center --undecorated --borders=35 --progress --text="Updating package lists...\n" --text-align center --window-icon="$_ICON" --title="Updating Software Sources - please wait..." --no-buttons --skip-taskbar --auto-close 2>/dev/null
    if [ "${PIPESTATUS[0]}" -ne "0" ]; then
        unset APTUPDATE; rm_temp_files; unset _UPDATES
        sed -i '1 i\===========================\
Install Updates Error Log\
===========================\
\
Install Updates could not fetch the package cache information lists.\
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into\na new or existing thread for assistance.\n\
============ Log ===========\n' "$_LLUPDATES"
        sleep 4 | yad --center --borders=15 --image=error --progress --pulsate --window-icon="error" --auto-close --no-cancel --width="380" --height="80" --title="$_APPNAME - Error" \
                         --text="Errors occurred while fetching packages cache information lists.\n\n✔ Retrieving error log, please wait...\n" --no-buttons --skip-taskbar --text-align center 2>/dev/null
        view_save_log; exit 1
    fi
  unset APTUPDATE

# Creates a list in /tmp/updateslist
  apt-get --just-print dist-upgrade 2>&1 | perl -ne 'if (/Inst\s([\w,\-,\d,\.,~,:,\+]+)\s\[([\w,\-,\d,\.,~,:,\+]+)\]\s\(([\w,\-,\d,\.,~,:,\+]+)\)? /i) {print "Name: $1 INSTALLED: $2 AVAILABLE: $3\n"}' |
  awk '{print NR,":\t"$0}' > $_PLAIN
  sed '
  s:$::
  ' $_PLAIN >> $_UPDATES

# Check for available updates; if none then remove /tmp/updateslist.XXXXXX and display up-to-date dialog
      if [  -z "$(cat $_PLAIN)"  ]; then
        rm_temp_files; unset _UPDATES
        yad --center --borders=15 --image=gtk-info --info --window-icon="$_ICON"  --width="260" --height="60" --title="  $_APPNAME" \
               --text="\nYour system is up to date.\n"  --text-align center 2>/dev/null
        exit 0
      fi

# Erase existing available info
dpkg --clear-avail
else
  rm_temp_files; unset _UPDATES; exit 0
fi

# Call the yad dialog to show update list
yad --center --borders=15 --image=system-software-install --text-info --back=#eff1f4 --window-icon="$_ICON" --button=gtk-cancel:1 --button="Update Now":0 --title="Available Updates" --width="760" --height="400" --fontname="Droid regular 10" --filename="$_UPDATES" 2>/dev/null
      if [ "$?" -eq "0" ];then
        # Continue script if no halt, remove tmp file and unset variables
        rm $_UPDATES; unset _UPDATES

#Begin upgrade
DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confdef" -o Dpkg::Options::="--force-confold" dist-upgrade -y  2>&1 | tee "$_LLUPDATES" |
awk ' BEGIN { FS=" "; total=1;end_download=0} /upgraded/ {total= $1 + $3;FS="[ :]" } /^Get:[[:digit:]]+/ {printf "#Downloading %s %s %s\n",$7,$(NF-1),$NF;print int(($2 - 1) * 100 / total);
fflush(stdout)} /^\(Reading / {if (end_download==0){print 100;fflush(stdout);end_download=1}} /^(Preparing|Unpacking|Selecting|Processing|Setting|Download)/ {print "#", substr($0, 0, 128); fflush(stdout)}' \
  | ( yad --center --undecorated --borders=35 --progress --window-icon="$_ICON" --percentage="0" --auto-close --text="Downloading package(s)...\nThis may take a while.\n" --text-align center --no-buttons --skip-taskbar  2>/dev/null;
      yad --center --undecorated --borders=35 --progress --window-icon="$_ICON" --percentage="0" --auto-close --text="Installing and configuring package(s)...\nThis may take a while.\n" --text-align center --no-buttons --skip-taskbar 2>/dev/null)

if [ "${PIPESTATUS[0]}" -ne "0" ]; then
      sed -i '1 i\===========================\
Install Updates Error log\
===========================\
Install Updates could not successfully download and install available updates.\
Go to https://www.linuxliteos.com/forums/ and paste the log below into a new or existing thread for assistance.\n\
============ Log ===========\n' "$_LLUPDATES"
      sleep 4 | yad --center --borders=15 --image=error --progress --pulsate --window-icon="error" --auto-close --no-cancel --width="320" --height="80" --title="$_APPNAME - Error" \
                       --text="Errors occurred while updating. \n\n✔ Retrieving errors log. Please wait...\n" --text-align center --no-buttons --skip-taskbar 2>/dev/null
      view_save_log; exit 0
    fi

# Halt updates script if user selects Cancel
    else
       rm_temp_files; unset _UPDATES
       yad --center --borders=15 --image=info --info --width="300" --button=gtk-ok:1 --timeout="6" --window-icon="$_ICON" --title="   $_APPNAME" --text="\nUpdates have been canceled.\n" --text-align center 2>/dev/null
       exit 0
    fi

# If Ubuntu base package has been upgraded during Install Updates, /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth
llverprnt=$(awk '{print}' /etc/llver)
checkdefplym="/usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth"

if grep -q 0x988592 "$checkdefplym"; then
  sed -i "s/^title=Ubuntu.*$/title=$llverprnt/g" /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth ;
  sed -i "s/black=0x2c001e/black=0x000000/g" /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth ;
  sed -i "s/white=0xffffff/white=0xffffff/g" /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth ;
  sed -i "s/brown=0xff4012/brown=0xffff00/g" /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth ;
  sed -i "s/blue=0x988592/blue=0x000000/g" /usr/share/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-text/ubuntu-text.plymouth && update-initramfs -u |
  yad --center --undecorated --borders=35 --progress --auto-close --pulsate --text="Updating boot configuration please wait...\n" --text-align center --no-buttons --skip-taskbar
else
echo " "
fi

PROCEED=$(yad --center --borders=15 --question --image=logviewer --width="300" --height="80" --window-icon="$_ICON" --title="  $_APPNAME" --text-align center --window-icon="$_ICON" --button="No":1 --button="Yes":0 --text="\n$_APPNAME completed successfully.\n\nWould you like to view the\n$_APPNAME log?\n" 2>/dev/null ; echo $?)
    if [ ${PROCEED} -eq 1 ]; then rm_temp_files; :; else
      yad --center --borders=15 --question --image=logviewer --text-info --width="750" --height="400" --button="Close":1 --button="Save":0 --title="  $_APPNAME Log" --filename="$_LLUPDATES" 2>/dev/null
        if [ $? -eq 0 ]; then
          # Save report
          szSavePath=$(yad --center --image=logviewer --borders=15 --width="600" --height="400" --window-icon="$_ICON" --title=" Save Updates Log" --file-selection --filename=/home/$_SVUSER/llupdates-"${_DATE}".txt --file-filter='*.txt' \
                              --file-filter='All files | *' --save --confirm-overwrite 2>/dev/null)
          sudo -u ${SUDO_USER:-$_SVUSER} cp "$_LLUPDATES" "$szSavePath"; rm_temp_files; else rm_temp_files; :
        fi
    fi
    if [ -s /var/run/reboot-required ]; then
        yad --center --question --image=gtk-info --borders=15 --width="300" --height="100" --window-icon="$_ICON" --button="Continue using my computer:"1 --button="Restart Now":0 --title="  Linux Lite Updates" --text-align center \
               --text="These updates require the system to be restarted\nfor the changes to take effect.\n\nWould you like to restart now?\n" 2>/dev/null
        if [ "$?" -eq "0" ]; then reboot; else exit 0 ; fi
    fi

exit 0

« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 05:58:56 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

What if there were no progress bars, just simple text output during:

- Updating packages
- Installing packages

and only a progress bar during Downloading of packages?

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2017, 12:40:31 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Code updated. Please copy new code from original post.

Change - all windows will now center screen regardless.

Cheers.

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section