You are Here:
Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section

Early Alpha Speed Test 1

Author (Read 49583 times)

Re: Early Alpha Speed Test 1
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2020, 11:54:12 PM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile
    • My OpenDesktop Projects

• CPU: HAL9000

• MEMORY: 2Gb

• VIDEO CARD: Quantum State VR v.3

• Kernel: 4.x
I see you are wise in the ways of science, Doctor! ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

If my blabbering was helpful, please click my [Thank] link.

« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2020, 05:24:31 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

• CPU: Intel Core i9-10850K CPU @ 3.60GHz

• MEMORY: 32Gb

• VIDEO CARD: nVidia GeForce GTX 1650

• Kernel: 5.x

Can you comment on my little Icon idea MS Paint thingy, pretty puleaze! ;)

Wubba lubba dub dub!

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2020, 08:43:06 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

I don't exactly know who that is but I'm pretty sure he's a Linux master!
Sexy Beast... rarr! LoL

@Jerry
Can you comment on my little Icon idea MS Paint thingy, pretty puleaze! ;)
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2020, 11:39:53 PM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

• CPU: Ryzen 3 3200u

• VIDEO CARD: Radeon Vega 3

Thanks for the answer, it is good that the wallpaper will only be in version 4.8, I saw some people commenting that it leaves the interface with a "heavy" appearance.

I've only seen the 4.2 background (because I have uefi, and had to start there and update to 4.8. I ended up with 4.2's background.). I like that one. It's not too bright or busy.

I'm nervous Jerry gave us a hint in this post of 5.0's background.  ;)

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2020, 10:49:34 AM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

I mean the ones with the black background. I believe I have more than a week of using the system, and my opinion has not changed, it is the best Linux distro I have ever used. The icons with black background https://ibb.co/9vBqfDY

I agree with you about the black-background icons. I think most of those in your example would look better if they were transparent. But, I would have never thought about it unless you mentioned it. Some of them, (Lite Dekstop, Lite Info) might make sense with the black background because they're a square in a square. But, I agree, some (like Lite Auto Login, Lite Network Shares, Lite Software) it stands out more. I would have never thought about it until you mentioned it. It wouldn't bother me if it stayed the way it is.

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2020, 10:10:55 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Hi,

The Lite icons have a black square background on purpose, to differenciate them from the other system icons.

They could have Rounded corners but putting them in a circle (MAC style) could be problematic and some would have to be redone.

But, I could suggest that they could be dark-gray-rounded-corner-squares + a-limited-color-palette.
Yeeeah! (see the movie Office Space for reference on how to say this word ;) )I realize that putting ideas into word is not really obvious, so here :

MS Paint Power! Took ridicously too long to do, should have download/installed a "real" paint program, would've taken less time. :-S
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2020, 01:23:26 PM »

Daniel Pereira

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Here are some suggestions: -New icons, the ones with the strange black background are ugly. -This win7 wallpaper is very ugly lol (I know it can change). -I think we should have an app store similar to Linux Mint and etc. -We should also show animations in the windows (it seems that they are present in this 5.0 alpha, very happy for that). Simply the best edition of Linux.

Icons stay, sorry. Win7 wallpaper was ONLY for 4.8 We've discussed as a community, the app store thing in the past and decided it was best to stay with Synaptic.

Cheers :)
Thanks for the answer, it is good that the wallpaper will only be in version 4.8, I saw some people commenting that it leaves the interface with a "heavy" appearance. About the icons, I like Adapta, but I mean the ones with the black background. I believe I have more than a week of using the system, and my opinion has not changed, it is the best Linux distro I have ever used. The icons with black background https://ibb.co/9vBqfDY

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2020, 08:28:32 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2020, 08:22:09 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2020, 08:19:01 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Here are some suggestions: -New icons, the ones with the strange black background are ugly. -This win7 wallpaper is very ugly lol (I know it can change). -I think we should have an app store similar to Linux Mint and etc. -We should also show animations in the windows (it seems that they are present in this 5.0 alpha, very happy for that). Simply the best edition of Linux.

Icons stay, sorry. Win7 wallpaper was ONLY for 4.8 We've discussed as a community, the app store thing in the past and decided it was best to stay with Synaptic.

Cheers :)

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2020, 05:22:46 PM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Is your alpha using Ubuntu 20.04 (which is alpha too)? Will you be releasing versions for testing?

I have a Ryzen 5 3500u/Vega 8 (and Ryzen 3 3200u/Vega 3) laptop. They seem sensitive to kernels above 5.3. I read that Ubuntu is using the 5.5 kernel for 20.04. I could do some testing on my machines. But, I'm not very knowledgeable about how to dig into why something isn't working.

I know LL has been targeted toward older hardware. It's ok if hardware *that* new isn't a priority.

Yes, 20.04 we only base off LTS. We release an RC, should be around May. Ryzen, remember, you can use one of our custom kernels if you need to. We target Windows users much more than we target old hardware.

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »

Daniel Pereira

• New to Forums
    • View Profile
Very, very early testing of 5.0 on real hardware. Boot up is fast, shutdown is almost instant. Windows pop open very quickly, look at Libre Word open!
Fairly old HP lappy with 8gb ram, Core i7, very old first gen Vertex 60gb SSD. Can't wait to test this on modern hardware!

I was already a user of Win 10 and later I moved to 7, I always thought both were heavy, and I decided to test other systems (my notebook is not at all powerful) I started using Lubuntu, ugly interface. Then I used Linux Mint, I liked it, but I changed it, because it was kind of buggy. Right after I used Ubuntu, beautiful but heavy. So I researched and found Linux Lite, now I have no complaints, light, simple and very beautiful. Here are some suggestions: -New icons, the ones with the strange black background are ugly. -This win7 wallpaper is very ugly lol (I know it can change). -I think we should have an app store similar to Linux Mint and etc. -We should also show animations in the windows (it seems that they are present in this 5.0 alpha, very happy for that). Simply the best edition of Linux.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2020, 01:57:29 PM by Daniel Pereira »

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 01:13:50 PM »

az2020

• New to Forums
    • View Profile

Is your alpha using Ubuntu 20.04 (which is alpha too)? Will you be releasing versions for testing?

I have a Ryzen 5 3500u/Vega 8 (and Ryzen 3 3200u/Vega 3) laptop. They seem sensitive to kernels above 5.3. I read that Ubuntu is using the 5.5 kernel for 20.04. I could do some testing on my machines. But, I'm not very knowledgeable about how to dig into why something isn't working.

I know LL has been targeted toward older hardware. It's ok if hardware *that* new isn't a priority.

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 07:10:16 AM »

Jerry

• Linux Lite Creator
  • Administrator
  • Platinum Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Member
    • View Profile
    • Linux Lite OS

Unfortunately, memory usage is not what it was in 4.12 and GTK2. Now with GTK3 and 4.14 we'll be booting to circa 500-600mb. One of the side effects of progress :( KDE looks more and more like a viable option in 6.x

Sent from my Mobile phone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 06:50:13 AM »

TheDead

• Gold Level Poster
  • Linux Lite Worshipper
    • View Profile

Nice!

You're lucky to have SSD's lying around! ;)

Once you get there... Do you think old Core2/2GB/5400RPM HDD computers could have to stay in 4.x? :-o
- TheDead (TheUxNo0b)

-->
X Close Ad

Linux Lite 6.6 FINAL Released - Support for 22 Languages Added - See Release Announcement Section