Development > Linux Lite Software Development

Coming soon to a computer near you...

<< < (3/6) > >>

Jerry:
@Coastie, there will always be differences between releases. As has been mentioned many times in the past, there is no upgrade path for Linux Lite. Will there be one in the future? I don't know yet. I would like to reiterate, that if you have a working, stable operating system there is no compelling reason to upgrade. Now that we have our own repo, it will be easier in the future to create a package that upgrades you, eg. sudo apt-get install lite-upgrade (or similar).Cheers.

Coastie:

--- Quote from: Valtam on October 29, 2014, 05:38:44 AM ---Re. do I need to upgrade comments. If it ain't broke... :)
I ran 1.0.4 for nearly a year before switching to 2.0.

--- End quote ---

Let me rephrase my question. If I have installed Lite Cleaner, Lite Fix, Linux Lite Welcome, etc. as they have become available, and daily updated my system, is there anything different in Linux Lite 2.2 from what I have now with Linux Lite 2.0?  :-\

gold_finger:

--- Quote from: Monkeyman on October 29, 2014, 04:11:26 AM ---That's a good idea but I probably have 150-200 bookmarks.  It'll take a LONG time to do it that way but I guess there's no other way for now.  I'll be glad when there's a Mozbackup version that works in Linux.

--- End quote ---

Backing up bookmarks is easy.  Two ways to do it depending on what you like.  Will show difference by using two different scenarios.  (NOTE:  You should be able to do this from/between Windows and Linux without issue.  Backup menu in Firefox on Windows may be slightly different from what is described below but should work the same.)

Scenario #1:
You have two computers and don't necessarily want both to have exactly the same bookmarks.  Machine #1 has bookmarks 1 thru 10;  Machine two has bookmarks 11-20.  You decide that you want Machine #1 to stay as it is, but you want to add the bookmarks from Machine #1 to Machine #2 so it has all of the bookmarks from both.

In Firefox on Machine #1, go to Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Export Bookmarks to HTML, then save the .html file to a USB stick.

In Firefox on Machine #2, go to Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Import Bookmarks from HTML, then pick the .html file from the USB stick for importing.  I can't remember exactly, but think it will produce a folder like "Imported Bookmarks" under your main Bookmarks folder to add those new bookmarks to what is already there.

Scenario #2:
You want the same exact set of bookmarks on all computers.  Machine #1 has the bookmarks that you want to copy to all other machines.

In Firefox on Machine #1, go to Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Backup, then save the .json file to a USB stick.

In Firefox on Machine #2, go to Bookmarks -> Show All Bookmarks -> Import and Backup -> Restore -> Choose File, then navigate to the .json file on the USB stick.  This option will replace the bookmarks that are currently on Machine #2 with the ones that are on Machine #1.

Wirezfree:

--- Quote from: Scott(0) on October 28, 2014, 11:22:37 PM ---@Wirezfree

Hi Dave,

Linux Lite is always based on Ubuntu LTS releases. So the next LL release, LL 2.2, will also be be be based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Does that make sense?

~Scott

--- End quote ---

Hi Scott,

Thanks, now it's clear 2.x is based Ubuntu 14.04

Having spent many hours on installing programs, configuration, network set-up, share mapping PC's/NAS etc. ect.
Not sure I relish the idea of starting from scratch on 3 PC's...

Dave

Jerry:
Re. do I need to upgrade comments. If it ain't broke... :)
I ran 1.0.4 for nearly a year before switching to 2.0.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version